AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GMG 2J Avatar
GMG 2J Mark Vine
Essex, England, UK   GBR
Hi Bob,
I have not done any work to the MGA instead I am busy with other projects, one of which is my MGC which is still not finished, but almost there.When it's finished,I do not know, as someone has asked me to fix the heating, which is a complete over haul, and as that person is next to Godliness, I had better get my finger out and sort it. Kind regards,

Mark.
ps, the front bumper might prevent any damage if it were in place, just a thought.

We will talk a little later when we are older.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, Va, USA   USA
well sounds like heat is the next project for sure.

lets wrap up the cross beam adapters and glue the rubber pads to them

clamp tthem down

and a peek at a finished product

now back to the brackets

used some big round washers to give me a pattern

not a bad fit for the first time i can see i need to lower the drivers side a wee bit

now to work on the top design and determine if the brackets are curved or if they stay straight

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 03:28 PM by bobs77vet.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
I spent another hour adjusting the brackets some and I sliced the top so the back of the angle iron would bend to fit the curve. its clear to me that the brackets in the photos i am viewing are using smaller diameter washers and the the sizing of the bracket is just slightly larger then those washers and also the top of the bracket is very tight to the bottom of the driving light mounting bracket. i have ordered the driving lights so once i get those i can figure out the top mounting spot. over all i think i am in a pretty good spot its easy to trim stuff down. and also easy to weld additional material if necesary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Hmm.... very interesting! I look forward to your next posting!

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
I got the lights today and mocked them up a little bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 09:03 PM by bobs77vet.

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
That looks really good Bob.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
thanks

getting closer

trim up the ends for a tighter radius to the nuts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 02:48 PM by bobs77vet.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.

fill up the holes they were a tad too big with the smaller washer

weld it on a copper wtapped piece of 1/4 plate

trim it down

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.

nchokie Avatar
nchokie R.D. Williams
Clewiston, Florida, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Bob, really starting to look nice. I agree with your thought that the bumper-less, driving light look is very nice. Do you plan to fill the void between the bracket top and mounting flange? I only ask as the detailing behind the light might end up being a little hazardous. Also will the brackets be painted, powder coated or chromed?

R.D. Williams

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
In reply to # 3610123 by nchokie Bob, really starting to look nice. I agree with your thought that the bumper-less, driving light look is very nice. Do you plan to fill the void between the bracket top and mounting flange? I only ask as the detailing behind the light might end up being a little hazardous. Also will the brackets be painted, powder coated or chromed?

thanks, if i understand you question, yes i plan to fill the void created by bending out the back bracket that attaches to the bumper extension. so when its all done it will look like a complete L bracket.

i am thinking its going to be body color. the two pictures i have of the sebring cars one is silver and the other is body color.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
lets start by having some garage time with the boys... we are making a hitch mounted table for metal work and a vise for an F150 out of scraps from an old trailer hitch, the hitch receiver is in my welding table.

now we make the removable top

now lets get back to the MGA light bracket and add in the material to the bracket to fill the void from the bending

next thing to do is to put the final curve into the bracket from the center to the ends....next weeks work

we have to get my new grandson in a cool car quick so the imprinting can set in

and the baptism at the welding cart...

and a test fit at the back of the truck, the I beam is just resting on it for no particular purpose.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 10:07 PM by bobs77vet.

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, Texas, USA   USA
Must really be cool to be able to make stuff...
Little Bosco looks like a winner!

Dave

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
yes it is fun to make stuff

lets add some curves

lets make them symetrical

add some spray primer to see the definition of them

getting close i need to find one of my drum sanders to do some radius sanding

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 11:14 AM by bobs77vet.

mg1622 Avatar
mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Nice work Bob ,fine lookin grandson.Terry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster