MGA Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

1958 MGA Coupe driver quality restoration thread

Posted by bobs77vet 
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

thks guys I am shooting for friday evening or saturday morning.
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

4 hrs today kicking some butt.....

cut away the rust

the template to make the part, i am not sweating the bottom length and i am making to too long on purpose and will trim it later

this is the offset flange

here is the back side primed with cold galvanizing compound you can weld through this but it really sparks alot

while the paint is drying i removed all the body bolts and was surprised how easily they came out and the rear body mount is in great shape

the front needs some work though

made up new piece and primed it with weld through primer

while thats drying i went ahead and removed the rusted out section

same trick i ground off the old spot welds. what looks like holes is actually shiney metal

after everything is cut away the new piece is made and flanged and primed

and welded in place one step closer to being done...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 03:24 PM by bobs77vet.
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

1 more hr needed to wrap things up

i used a piece of angle iron to make sure that i had a nice straight and tight seam

that thin line is the middle piece nice and straight

and of course you need to have a mock set up admittedly this was for my satisfaction

so i paint the inside of the inner sill

i had to move some stuff around to get the welding cart over behind the MGA where this use to be taking up residence... what would a garage be with out a sons custom motorcycle project??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-03 08:39 PM by bobs77vet.
. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

3 more hrs of work..had my son helping me..I welded up the inner sill, while he removed the rear bumper horns and the 6 inner boot body/frame attaching bolts.one of the rear bumper horn extension bolts was a major PITA and we wound up cutting it off. i drilled two 1/8 aligning holes in the bonnet hinge mounting plate. cant believe so little work took so much time

fthemanj Avatar
Freddy Jones
Raleigh, NC, USA   usa
1961 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB

Bob,

WOW! All I can say is "what an interesting and informative series!" My hat's off to ya!

Any chance we might see you in Asheville for GT38? I know it would be cutting it close...
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

thks for the comments, I have my first grandchild due right around that time frame so I may be on a very short leash....most of it self imposed this time...
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

2 more hours tonight wrapping up the door posts, all of the grinding and making the welds look pretty will happen after the bodys off the car

and i added an extra support brace for good measure

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

hooray for a snow day!!!!

wrapped up some loose ends on the body so all the welding that has to be done before we take the body off the frame is now done. added some corner braces to the bottom of the rear door post, welded the trunk pan in place and welded the inner foot well area piece to the body mount. i am taking an hour or so break then will go out and start on the mechanical aspects of the body removal

test fit of piece

bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

I AM WORN OUT.... little Joe and i spent another 3 hrs tackling the mechanical items that need to be taken care to remove the engine
it helps having a worker...

we are not sure hes going to fit into when its done...

not to hard removing the master cylinder

however the car gots its pound of blood from the bolt that attaches the pedal assembly to the top bracketry....the pedals swiveled on the bushings but the bolt siezed in the steel sleeve

what a PITA....i was able to manhandle it through the opening once the ends were cut off. i could only get the bolt out the sleeve when it was in the vise.

bryant1970mgb Avatar
Bryant Aydelette
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA   usa
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB

Bob K,

I am exhausted also just watching..........
You are "wearing out" all of us. Please be careful and not "over-do"; it is a long road to go
to get the final product they you are looking forward to.

You are doing a great job; take a minute, stand back, and catch your breath.

We all remember those days of our individual restorations and know too well what
you are going through.

ENJOY the Moment,
Bryant Aydelette
Greensboro, NC
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

thks Bryant, I dont get too wound up in time frames, however I do set some short term mile stones and the one at hand is the body is coming off on saturday....this is one of my favorite pictures of a previous restoration....I smile everytime I see it...

Bandersnatch Avatar
Larry Wheeler
Hillsboro, OR, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Rosie 2"

In reply to # 2306347 by bobs77vet thks Bryant, I dont get too wound up in time frames, however I do set some short term mile stones and the one at hand is the body is coming off on saturday....this is one of my favorite pictures of a previous restoration....I smile everytime I see it...

All I can say about that is wow. I can't even imagine tackling that restoration.

Big Healey? Any after pictures of it?

Great progress on the 'A', looking forward to seeing more!

Do you know why chicken coops have two doors? Because if they had four, they'd be chicken sedans!
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

In reply to # 2306358 by Bandersnatch

All I can say about that is wow. I can't even imagine tackling that restoration.

Big Healey? Any after pictures of it?

[/quote]

the kid smiling with his head over the side of the door is little Joe the one stuck in the door opening

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-07 08:25 AM by bobs77vet.
bobs77vet Avatar
bob Krzywicki
Arlington, Va, USA   usa

well we were getting set up to for the saturday body removal and then it happened....about 1 hours worth of work...

and this is where we realized we were almost there

yours truly

i accomplish so much more with helpers

and whamo its done

final resting spot

look dad i do fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-08 12:35 PM by bobs77vet.
57Coupe Avatar
Andy Bloom
Grand River, Ohio, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "1957 Coupe"

Awesome. Great progress....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG