AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

peter d Avatar
peter h
yorkshire, UK   gbr
1958 MG MGA Coupe
1977 MG MGB "Abomination"

Have to say your system over there seems very complicated

Over here cars built up to 1972 are classed as Historic,And are tax exempt.

Its up to the deal you come up with the insurance company's as to your mileage.More mileage more wonga.

Have to ask Gary what are the two holes in your boot lid for?

bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

In Washington you can have collector (read historic or collector) or year of manufacturer, or the standard plate

Gary E Avatar
Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   usa

In reply to # 2033024 by peter d
Have to ask Gary what are the two holes in your boot lid for?

It was originally the bottom 2 holes for a aftermarket luggage rack. I am considering mounting a real flame thrower there instead in case I run into Wyatt.

Gary

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
RJBrown Avatar
Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   usa

The Colorado historic plate has no driving restrictions and is good for 5 years. You are required to get a emmision test the first time the car is registered. After that you pay the bill every 5 years and drive anywhere you want. Insurance is a company by company question.

MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"
1993 Mazda MX-5 "Bombita"

In reply to # 2032728 by cschaefer One other benefit with the Historic plates in NJ, from what I read, they allow for rear plates only. You can get away with removing the front plate altogether, cleaning up the front of the car.

I had been told this by a number of NJ car club members. When I asked about it while picking up the QQ plates, the agent flatly said to me "NJ has always required both a front and rear plate". I don't know that the agent is an authority on this point. I drove the car for a month or so with no front plate and passed police a couple of times with no reaction but that isn't definitive either.

Russ

PaulM9999 Avatar
Paul M
Clinton, New Jersey, USA   usa

Like Russ, I've also passed several cops in NJ without issue. I recently met a municipal police officer at a buddy's house and he agreed that keeping the actual QQ plate in the boot should be fine as long as I'm not committing some other moving violation.

John Terschak
Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA   usa
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"

Gary,

I see you wrote;
Many people in N.C. use personal plates instead of YOM. There is little difference in a antique store plate and a personalized plate. Neither has any info on the car or owner. You still must carry the normal plate..
I have talked to 2 law enforcement officers and neither cared about the personal plate.

Seeing I'm a Dam Yankee transplant from Ohio. And I drive my 74 1/2 B back to Ohio and other states outside North Carolina. Have you ever been stopped out side N.C. and asked about the plates?

John

A Yankee is a person that comes down to the Outer Banks and visits.
A Dam Yankee is a person that comes down and stays.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Gary E Avatar
Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   usa

I personally have only driven my A in NC and VA and have not had a problem. I know PJ Lenihan has a personalized British type rear plate and drove his MGB GT to SFO last year and points in between in the MG 2011 coast to coast tour without a problem. He travel the western US for 30 days and was never asked.

Gary

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG