MGA Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Historic Tags

Posted by NJMGA 
NJMGA Avatar
Barry Boehner
Bellmawr, New Jersey, USA   usa

My 1960 MGA has been off the road since 1983, I am about to apply for tags and debating on Historic or not Historic. How much can I use the vehicle with Historic tags? I don't plan on using it every day but the occasional day trip would be appealing. What are your opinions?

ghnl Avatar
Eric Russell
North Carolina, USA   usa

Every state & insurance company has their own rules. You'll have to investigate that for your location & insurance company. Most insurance policies will dictate the vehicle cannot be your primary use vehicle, must be garaged, and it might only allow use in parades/club events/shows/etc.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

TX, USA   usa

I have Texas historic tags on my MG. I think state rules differ. I have a contact here (Houston) who can answer your questions and has appropriate year plates for your car. In Texas you can only use them if they match the year listed on your title. I just bought a pair for another old car and they were $125 (used) for the appropriate year. I am not sure that my source had plates for other states, however that is his primary business. Insurance wants a limit of 1000 miles a year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 02:12 PM by David Pyle.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
NJMGA Avatar
Barry Boehner
Bellmawr, New Jersey, USA   usa

The form states use for exhibition and educational purposes. Well every time I go out in in I break down and then I get a education on how to fix it, does that count, lol. I also feel like an exhibitionist standing along side of it while it is broke down.

ghnl Avatar
Eric Russell
North Carolina, USA   usa

In reply to # 2032221 by NJMGA I also feel like an exhibitionist standing along side of it...

Do you wear a rain coat (only)?

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

TX, USA   usa

That's why you get two tags...one for your back and one for your front...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 04:47 PM by David Pyle.

Chuck Schaefer
West Chicago,IL, USA   usa

from what i can tell, NJ is one of the toughest states for us hobbyists.

Sent to committee in 2010 is bill AN1693 which will allow 1 day use per week for pleasure driving. It has been bounced back several times since ~2006. You might want to write the current sponsors to see what their feeling of being enacted is.

Sponsored by:
Assemblyman JOHN J. BURZICHELLI
District 3 (Salem, Cumberland and Gloucester)
Co-Sponsored by:
Assemblyman Diegnan, Assemblywoman N.Munoz, Assemblymen Prieto,
Milam, Giblin and DeAngelo

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"

In NH there is not a provision for antique plates - I checked.

They said I can put them on at a car show, but then have to take them off before driving, and I have to keep the real plates in the car.

JIM

PaulM9999 Avatar
Paul M
Clinton, New Jersey, USA   usa

Barry,
NJ DMV will give you historic plates for your MGA without a problem. Details are here. Don't forget to bring photos of all sides of the car on photo-quality paper.

Once this is done, you can do what MGARuss suggested in another thread, and order a front British style plates with your NJ tag number on it from these guys. I found the Jersey tag looked pretty bad on the front of my 1960, but the Euro style is much more pleasing. No problems from the authorities yet.

www.chubbcollectorcar.com

jeff schultz
wake forest, nc, USA   usa

I think there are two different types of plates being discussed in this thread, Historic and YOM. Here in NC both are allowed.

Historic plates, at least in NC, are new issued plates that say "Historic" or "Antique" on them. They usually have restrictions on them as to the type and amount of driving you can do, but often have tax and insurance benefits. I think many if not most states have some form of this. This was the subject of the original question, and you just have to weigh any tax or insurance benefits against the restrictions.

NC and many other states also allow YOM(year of manufacture) plates on cars of a certain age. These are plates that were issued during the year the car was manufactured, in other words old plates found at antique stores, flea markets, etc. In NC for any car 35 years or older, if you register it with normal plates, you can run with a plate from the year of manufacture as long as you carry the regular plate inside the car. I think some other states that allow YOM require you to register the number on the YOM plate, but NC doesn't.

And Jim, according to this site NH does have a YOM law but it is only for cars from 1942 or older. http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Laws%2003.html#nhdmv

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 12:02 AM by jeffs555.

MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"
1993 Mazda MX-5 "Bombita"

Barry,

I'm in central NJ and pondered this question last fall when I got my MGA. The simple answer is that the NJ law is pretty strict: it says you can drive the car to or from an exhibition or educational event, club meeting, or service location. That's it. No pleasure drives. However, every NJ classic car owner with QQ plates I have spoken with has told me the same thing - they have never been stopped driving their car with QQ plates.

The place where it probably matters the most is if you got in an accident and the police were called in, it seems likely to me that they would ask what you were doing with the car. While the QQ law does not mention that you can take the car on a test drive after servicing it yourself, it seems clear to me that this falls under the permitted use of driving it to and from a garage. So this might be a catch all reason to be driving the car. I'm not sure what the penalty would be for violating the QQ law.

One minor benefit of the QQ registration is that you don't need to get an emission inspection and resulting windshield sticker.

Your insurance carrier probably has different policies. Neither of the classic car insurers I have worked with have any conditions related to how the car is registered with the state. One had a pretty high mileage limit and the other has no mileage limit. Generally, they don't want you commuting to work in the car or using it in that way. I have heard of some insurers having other restrictions like the owner can't park the car at a mall or shopping center but this was in the case of an Olds 442 insured for $100K.

As Paul said, I have a regular NJ QQ plate on the back of my car and a reproduction plate on the front with my QQ number styled to match 1960's British plate design. I carry the other QQ plate in the car in case the police want to see it (to ensure I haven't attached it to another classic car).

Russ

Attachments:
QQplate.jpg    52.5 KB
QQplate.jpg

ELBBLB Avatar
Ed B
Haddonfield NJ, USA   usa
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC "Butters"

Barry,

I too have the QQ plates on both of my NJ registered MGC's ( and my Sunbeam Alpine too). As has been stated NJ is pretty strict in what it can be driven for. But remember, every time you go somewhere you are getting gas, going to the service station, a club activity,or meeting a member of the club.With Skye's new "member map" you should always know someone on the route......But I have NEVER been stopped and questioned.

I think the one time fee and then free for life and no inspection outweigh any perceived negatives.

Never tried the modified front plate deal, and we definitely do not have the YOM plate option.

Finally. I agree with Chuck, call/write along with your local Assemblyman

Sponsored by:
Assemblyman JOHN J. BURZICHELLI
District 3 (Salem, Cumberland and Gloucester)
Co-Sponsored by:
Assemblyman Diegnan, Assemblywoman N.Munoz, Assemblymen Prieto,
Milam, Giblin and DeAngelo

1969 MGC BRG Roadster
1969 MGC Pale Primrose Roadster
No major modifications

Chuck Schaefer
West Chicago,IL, USA   usa

One other benefit with the Historic plates in NJ, from what I read, they allow for rear plates only. You can get away with removing the front plate altogether, cleaning up the front of the car.

Since whe are comparing states, Illinois allows for antique plates on anything 25 years or older. The plates are 30 bucks and good for 5 years, which alone saves about $470 over the 5-year span. IL has the same meeting parade, club, service etc restrictions but also allows for occasional use, whatever that is. In 20 years, I have never been questioned about what I was using the car for. With "antique" registration, I am alloed to display a YOM plate. I had 1956 Illinois plates on my car. No reproductions allowed, they must be issued by the state "back in the day". The number color just so happened to match the BRG of may car too!, We must carry the real registered plates in the boot for any traffic stop.

Gary E Avatar
Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   usa

Many people in N.C. use personal plates instead of YOM. There is little difference in a antique store plate and a personalized plate. Neither has any info on the car or owner. You still must carry the normal plate..
I have talked to 2 law enforcement officers and neither cared about the personal plate.

I had mine made at Buld A Sign for about $20 delivered.

http://www.buildasign.com/?pscid=10871&extcid=1402&mtcid=e&ntwcid=g&kwcid=build%20a%20sign&gclid=CIDL9J-1oK8CFQid7QodWhiddQ

Gary

If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 09:19 AM by Gary E.

Attachments:
Picture 579 (2)a.jpg    30.5 KB
Picture 579 (2)a.jpg

JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"

Right - I have "Antique" plates, but I wanted to buy a set of YOM plates on eBay, but they were not allowed (didn't know about the 1942 rule - but it doesn't help me).

JIM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG