MGA Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Battery question(s).

Posted by TeamEvil 
TeamEvil Avatar
T C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   usa

John brought up a question that I'm now wondering about myself . . .

Can a battery itself be negative or positive ground, or is it all in the way that the car and ancillaries are wired?

If a formerly 6 volt battery is dry, can new acid and water be added and it be deep charged as a 12 volt battery?

What's the fundamental difference between a 12 volt and 6 volt battery, other than the charge that it carries?

If the charger leads are mixed up, can a battery be successfully charged so the the positive terminal is now negative and vice versa?

Just wondering 'cause I know nothing about this?

LOVE to have the answers though . . .

TC
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"

the number and configuration of cells determines the voltage - so that is manufactured in and can't be changed. A 12V battery that only holds 8 volts has a couple of dead cells, and is past it's useful life, for ex.

The cars polarity is in which wire goes to ground (the frame) and which goes to the other end of the circuit...battery is indifferent unless you make a mistake and short it out.

JIM
Eka1959 Avatar
Steve Jackson
Loveland, Colorado, USA   usa

Thomas,
Here ya go: How a lead acid battery works

Steve
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
John Terschak
Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA   usa
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"

Thomas,

I hope I don't make too much of a fool of myself but here goes.

The number of plates in a battery makes up 6 or 12 volt system. Not the acid.

Most early cars were positive ground and when people replace their batteries now a days they forget and turn hook up the neg.side of the battery to the ground. After figure out that they hooked it up wrong they just turn the battery around so the positive post is then ground. So it's not the way the battery is made except for the plates.

When changing over from a 6 volt system or over hauling your generator you need to strike an arc to change it from Neg. to pos. or vice versa . So it's in the way the car is wired.

\
Clear as mud right???

John
jclars Avatar
John Larsen
Lynden, WA, USA   usa

Dear Dr. Evil,

The polarity of my tongue was such that it was firmly stuck to the side of my cheek.
TeamEvil Avatar
T C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   usa

Stuck to your cheek or not, you DID make me wonder which I'm thankful for. It's ALWAYS neat to learn something new that I didn't even realize that I wanted to know, you know?

I never knew any of this stuff, just bought the battery that fit the hole and bolted in it. Now I have a bit of background information which is cool !

TC
wyatt Avatar
Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ata

In reply to # 2019116 by jclars Dear Dr. Evil,

The polarity of my tongue was such that it was firmly stuck to the side of my cheek.

..jclars...ask em who's on first..
RJBrown Avatar
Randy Brown
Queen Creek, Arizona, USA   usa

No it IS a 6 volt battery. A 6 volt battery has 3 cells (3 caps) a 12 volt battery has 6 cells (6caps) 2 6 volt batteries have 6 cells between them. Each cell of a lead acid battery is 2 volts.
jeff schultz
wake forest, nc, USA   usa

Quote: Can a battery itself be negative or positive ground, or is it all in the way that the car and ancillaries are wired?
The others have covered the cell count difference between 6 and 12v. A battery will have a positive and a negative terminal. They will be marked, and positive will always be positive. A battery itself will not be positive or negative ground, but the position of the terminals may favor a particular installation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 02:56PM by jeffs555.
jclars Avatar
John Larsen
Lynden, WA, USA   usa

In reply to # 2019205 by wyatt
In reply to # 2019116 by jclars Dear Dr. Evil,

..jclars...ask em who's on first..

Wyatt, This is what happens when you dont have enough MGA problems to sort out...
But then, hard to have problems when it is just sitting there out of the weather.

It is our way of participating without the nuisance of actually having any mechanical or mental issues. Okay, maybe the mental part is an exception, but then, this forum is still therapeutic.

John L.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG