MGA Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Outer rocker to shut face panel

Posted by jackalley 
jackalley Avatar
Jeff Allen
Mass, USA   usa

Anyone have a good side picture of how the shut face panel intersects with the outer rocker without the fender on? Getting my pillar lined up to weld and everything looks good except the curve from the shut face into the outer rocker at the back looks worry some...
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
TeamEvil Avatar
T C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   usa

I don't really have any help for you there, but if you posilutely can't get any info or photos from the group, and are fully stumped, pull the metal rocker pieces and offer them up here on the forum.

I'll spoke-shave you up a pair of 4x4s to replace the rocker assembly when I do mine. I figure that some plastic wood will bring the gap between the shut panel and wooden rocker into spec. A smidge of plaster-of-paris to completely fill the gap, followed by a schmere of Tiger Hair, polyester filler and paint.

Ought to get that car looking good enough to sell on Ebay ! !

TC
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

I bring home my new roadster tomorrow. Let me know if you need a pic still :-)

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
John Terschak
Kill Devil Hills, NC, USA   usa
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"

Basil,

I would love to see the picture too.

John
JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   usa
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"

Mine were horrible too - I ended up doing a lot of surgery on the shut face panels. Not sure if it's because the panels themselves were "generic" and not a good fit, or if it's because I did something wrong prior to fitting them!

Here is a pic from my files, though...shows the bad fitup.

Here is also one (blue car) that fits.

Finally, here is a page showing a professionally done repair.

http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/hstc39.html

JIM in NH

Attachments:
dogleg_4_sm.jpg (24.6 KB) –
dogleg_4_sm.jpg

interior_1.sized.jpg (27 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
jackalley Avatar
Jeff Allen
Mass, USA   usa

Maybe I am not in that bad of shape. I guess I half expected that the shut face would tie into the outer rocker at 90 degrees...

Attachments:
2012-01-01_213325.jpg (22.5 KB) –
2012-01-01_213325.jpg

Neil MG Avatar
Neil McGurk
Cumbria, United Kingdom   gbr
1956 Morris Minor
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1961 MG MGA
1966 Jaguar Mark 2   → more

In reply to # 1943295 by jackalley Maybe I am not in that bad of shape. I guess I half expected that the shut face would tie into the outer rocker at 90 degrees...

Indeed it should!
barneymg Avatar
Barney Gaylord
Naperville, Illinois, USA   usa
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"

Here's a page on making the dogleg and shut face panel it together:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/rt625.htm

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com
JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail

Yes, the curve on yours is like the one on mine. I cut the "ear" off and re-bent and re-welded it so it would fit better. Otherwise, the bottom corner of the door will hit it.

JIM in NH
MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"

This is what mine look like. Not quite 90 degrees.

Attachments:
shut_face1.jpg (20.9 KB) –
shut_face1.jpg

shut_face2.jpg (20.1 KB) –
barneymg Avatar
Barney Gaylord

Russ, -- Looks like you need to push the dogleg forward about 1/4 inch. Otherwise the replacement B-post might be one of those the didn't have the original 4-degree angle on the front face.

MGARuss Avatar
Russ Sharples
New Jersey, USA   usa
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Bonnie"

Barney, now that I look at those pictures, it looks like the surface that the strike plate mounts to isn't snugged up properly to the rear fender at the bottom, but if it was, it wouldn't mate properly with the rocker panel (sill?). When you say "push the dogleg forward" do you mean move the whole rear fender forward? I don't think that would work because the gaps around the door are all nice and even. I suspect that the problem is with the shut face (assuming that's what you call that piece of metal) being made wrong - probably not a long enough tail. I bought the car restored in NJ 2 months ago but the restoration was done around 2000 in Oregon so I don't know anything about the work or who did it. I figured that part wasn't done correctly though - isn't all that supposed to be welded and not riveted and screwed? It may be welded in spots, I haven't really poked at it to check.

I attached a side view of the door so you can see the gaps relative to the wings. There is a full scale version of this photo available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11775077/Bonnie-Side.jpg

Russ

Attachments:
Bonnie-Side.jpg (26.7 KB) –
Bonnie-Side.jpg

Neil MG Avatar
Neil McGurk
Cumbria, United Kingdom   gbr
1956 Morris Minor
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1961 MG MGA
1966 Jaguar Mark 2   → more

Again no welding on the shut face panel! It's just fixed by the screws.
barneymg Avatar
Barney Gaylord

If the fender lines up with the door, but the shut face panel is that far away from the fender at the bottom, then the front face of the B-post must be screwed up (too far forward). Several years ago there were some replacement B-posts that were essentially "square" (or rectangular) when there should be a 4 degree angle on the front face (farther to the rear at the outer edge). I suspect there are still some of those parts around, but I don't know the source.

TeamEvil Avatar
T C

Is the passenger's side in the same slight out of alignment or is it "correct?"

Just wondering if the restoration might have been a "frame off" and the front clip was bolted back on slightly "off' and everything that went on after followed suit?
mad.english.man Avatar
Tony Leyva
Glendale, Arizona, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA
1968 MG MGB

Jeff
i was hoping someone had the photos you originally asked for, but apparently not. So I went out to my garage and put the cover on my body and took one for you. Also look the inside of the cover , it is doubled over for the sill line, mine is still a little buckled by the screws, don't know how flat the double layer should be, haven't got that far in the process but expecting to get the hammer out again!

Attachments:
IMG_0247.JPG (24.3 KB) –
IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG (25.8 KB) –
jackalley Avatar
Jeff Allen
Mass, USA   usa

Thanks for the pictures. I dug out my original shut face and wanted to see how they fit.
They fit much better than my replacements that came with the B pillar.

I am happy with the B pillar fit and will just need to rehab the old shut face. They just need a few whacks with a hammer to take a few dents out...

Attachments:
photo1a.JPG (19.5 KB) –
photo1a.JPG

photo1b.JPG (23.2 KB) –
JimNH Avatar
Jim Mail

Jeff, those look perfect, if a bit dingy and ding-y.

I am sure Tom (Team Evil) will take your incorrect ones for his non-car project.

JIM
TeamEvil Avatar
T C

Just bought some used shut panels, been cleaning them up this afternoon actually. So far, REAL good. Jeff has an extra set of used ones that I might try to steal from him to use on the other MGA once I get it home. Whatever he charges me, if he sells them to me, is going to be a deal 'cause I get to skip the shipping costs . . .
jackalley Avatar
Jeff Allen
Mass, USA   usa

I am going to trace out my "new" set that don’t fit very well vs. my original's that fit great to see where it all goes wrong...

Tom, you have 2 MGA's now?!? I guess I missed that....

Your more than welcome to my "new"...

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG