Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

marshuff Avatar
marshuff Marshall Huffman
Spring Hill, FL, USA   USA
I've owned a few of each, including a MGBGT and I can honestly say the MGA is what I love to drive the most. It is just more "FUN", what ever that means, to me. I don't know why I like them so much but I do. Someone said their are A PEOPLE and B PEOPLE, so I would have to say I am an A person.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
I have a 1275 Midget (ok, not an MGB) and an MGA. The Midget is fun, the MGA is fun with an added sense of occasion each time it goes out. It was really quite rough when I bought it but even in its rough state it had gained my confidence after 10 or 20 Miles. Read any report and its good road manners gets mentioned, sometimes coming out better than the B.

They are a delight to drive and are a different era with their pull switches, pull starter, no door or boot handles to interrupt the flowing lines. It was the last of the Brit mass produced sports cars where style was more important than practicality. All designed by an English Brummie called Syd. Genius in my view, a pocket size XK120 without the complications of the XK engine.

Downside - learn to pack economically. Wishing you happy deliberations, let us know the outcome,

PS. I didn’t see this thread on the MGA forum and only stumbled across it. May have something to do with the lack of response from the MGA camp!

1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
Ok. Now I see why I hadn’t seen this post before. It’s dated 2011! Sorry to clog up people’s devices.

But what did you buy?

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
So, following the adage, "Better late than never," I must say that, while the MGB is a wonderful car and is a more modern ride over long periods of time, the MGA just has that certain "something" that makes her (oh yes, she's definitely a her! Just look at those curves...) more desirable to me! However, I will say that, if I had to choose which one I would drive cross-country to a NAMGBR or NAMGAR meet, I would drive the B and tow the A! cool smiley

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3660060 by Redhawk1689 However, I will say that, if I had to choose which one I would drive cross-country to a NAMGBR or NAMGAR meet, I would drive the B

Better solution - drive an A coupe.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

par62mga Avatar
par62mga Silver Member Phil R
Wylie, TX, USA   USA
Short answer, if garage space permits, you need both.

I've had my MGA since the 80's and picked up a B in the early 2000's and must admit I drove the MGB more (until I sold it a few years later due to lack of garage space), but my first love was still the MGA.

My son now has a MGB in the new house with a 3-car garage and we both enjoy driving each other's car smiling smiley

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Ah Bill...
Would that I could fit in an MGA coupe! Alas, my upper body is somewhat out of proportion with my legs (my doctor has said that, had my legs not quit growing and I was properly proportioned, I would be 6'5"! ) thus rendering me somewhat cramped when sitting in a coupe!

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Well, the seating position is the same as a roadster but ingress and egress are more challenging. And there is no way I could drive any MGA with a stock steering wheel - too darned big (you can take that to refer to the wheel or to me, as you wish). I have a smaller wheel on the coupe and the race car.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
And I have a smaller one on my roadster (actually, it was my wife that insisted I get rid of the original 16" wheel and replace it with a 15" Moto-Lita repro but I'm not complaining.) We big American males don't always fit easily into these LBC's! In fact, until the MGA, I'm not sure if I would have fit into any MG! I'm just glad that I do fit in my A!

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3659558 by A on a shoe string ...The Midget is fun, the MGA is fun with an added sense of occasion each time it goes out.
They are a delight to drive and are a different era with their pull switches, pull starter, no door or boot handles to interrupt the flowing lines. It was the last of the Brit mass produced sports cars where style was more important than practicality. All designed by an English Brummie called Syd. Genius in my view, a pocket size XK120 without the complications of the XK engine.
Peter, I love that phrase! It fits my MGA perfectly, also one of my motorcycles. I have borrowed it for my own use.
I coined a similar sentiment for my special cars and bikes..."Every time you walk away from it, you catch yourself glancing back over your shoulder for one more look!"

Another winner: "...a pocket size XK120 without the complications of the XK engine"!
What is a "Brummie"?

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 03:45 PM by Zur.

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
In reply to # 3660625 by Zur
In reply to # 3659558 by A on a shoe string ...The Midget is fun, the MGA is fun with an added sense of occasion each time it goes out.
Peter, I love that phrase! It fits my MGA perfectly, also one of my motorcycles. I have borrowed it for my own use.
I coined a similar sentiment for my special cars and bikes..."Every time you walk away from it, you catch yourself glancing back over your shoulder for one more smile!"

Another winner: "...a pocket size XK120 without the complications of the XK engine"!
What is a "Brummie"?

A "Brummie" is a native of Birmingham, but more generally would, I think, apply to anyone from the Midlands.

Sydney Enever was thought to be, without doubt, a genius by those who worked alongside of him.
It was Syd they called on at Austin to sort out oil frothing issues with the new 1800 version of the B series (he showed them they'd set the oil level too high and re-calibrated the dip stick!)

He often sketched things out on the back of a cigarette carton. The increased top speed of the modified front, sketched up by Syd for the racing MGB was predicted exactly, to a fraction of an mph by Syd. That's him adjusting the profile in one of the photos.
I believe he was later poorly treated at the end of his career being forced to retire against his own wishes.

It was Syd who laid out the MGA, and the understructure of the MGB that followed.
Syd also insisted on the front grille/headlight styling on the MGB (possibly "pinched" from the Renault Floride; but then there were several other cars that such as Ferraris using the same general appearance). Pressed Steel management begged Syd to change from the recessed front headlights on the MGB to a flush mounted arrangement, but Syd wouldn't budge on that.
It's a matter of personal taste, but most on this MGA site would agree the rest of the MGB's styling is just too bland.

For those that might possibly be interested, here's something I wrote about the MGB for our club magazine, but it does contrast the MGB and the MGA.

Attachments:
images-1.jpeg    13.1 KB
images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg    12.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
33,333 (x3) Final version.pdf    52.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
I enjoyed your MGB article. Completely with you on avoiding the ‘improvements’; a subject for new thread probably.

The ‘B has possibly become a victim of its own success, it must be one of the few classics where the early ones were beginning to be restored while new ones could still be bought. I’ll concede even the Midget has more space than the ‘A. We manage to go camping for 3 weeks each summer to the Mediterranean in the Midge and still have space to put the roof down without breaking the wine glasses. Something we’ve not attempted in the ‘A yet. The trick is, once the tent and two small rucksacks are in, pack everything else in loose.

Pete (must get back to finishing the MGA’s petrol tank straps, thereby saving £90 from the budget).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster