Please Sign In or Register to Search

rear axle ratios

Posted by sailadams 
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Jose The GT"
1969 MG MGB "Raggedy (Ann) Roadster"

Is there any source of gear sets to change the standard 11/43 (3.909:1) rear end to 14/43 or 13/43?

When you get to a fork in the road, take it.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

try in the motorsport section.
RS
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "The Green C"
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

MGC

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

mowog1 Wrote:
Quote: MGC

What I was afraid of, Rick.

Robert, Motorsport is looking for higher ratios, not lower.

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
99hjhm Avatar
James H
West Midlands, England, United Kingdom   gbr
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB GT "DLP 692J"
1971 MG MGB GT "WEL 682J"
1975 MG MGB GT "LVT 844P"

It depend on what axle you have, front loader (banjo) or tube axle... 13/43(3.03:1) can be found in a MGC for the tube axle.... search the forum. 14/43(3.07:1) is a V8 ratio, avaliable in the UK for the tube axle.
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

MGC had 3.07; 3.7; and 3.301

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
MT-B Avatar
Matt T
New York, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA "Delilah"
1959 Royal Enfield Indian
1961 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1972 Opel GT
1976 MG MGB "Ruby"

This is the only source I have heard of in a while.

http://mgv8.homestead.com/rearaxle.html
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

Thanks, guys. I've got tube axles. One wire wheel, one bolt-on. I wish I could get these gears for a little less than $650 + shipping from UK. Yow! (Do I at least get to subtract VAT?) But special thanks, Matt, for the source, I never found it. However, current income makes me think I'll be looking for a whole used MGC rear axle instead. Kind of hoping there was some differential underground parts railroad I could tap into. Jack's probably got 'em all stowed away up in Blowing Rock.

MT-B Avatar
Matt T
New York, USA   usa
1959 MG MGA "Delilah"
1959 Royal Enfield Indian
1961 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1972 Opel GT
1976 MG MGB "Ruby"

Larry you might want to contact Glen Towery or TS Imported Automotive, they are both MGB V8 conversion outfits. The MGC rear ends used to be popular with V8 conversions but now it seems most people are going with shortened American axels, so those guys may have some old C axels that they are willing to make a deal on.
FYI You have probably heard the warnings to be careful if you plan to use a 3.3 or a 3.0 on a stock B, I’m not sure they have the power to pull those gears off the line.

sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

MT-B Wrote:
Quote: FYI You have probably heard the warnings to be careful if you plan to use a 3.3 or a 3.0 on a stock B, I’m not sure they have the power to pull those gears off the line.

Point taken and agreed on. They're for V-6 conversions, though. A Ford 8" would give more options, but the bolt-on axle already has a Classic Conversions 4-link rear welded on, and boy is that sweet! (It's just that the combo of S-10 tranny and 3.9 rear-end runs out too fast.) The other rear axle I want to keep with splines for wires, so I was thinking, keep that MGB (or MGC) too for simplicity sake.

Still thinking... Open for suggestions... Offers... Speaking of which, thanks, Rick, just not sure yet.

twentyover Avatar
Greg Fast
Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   usa

Well, I'll step in here and kind of disagree. I ran a close ratio (2.5:1 first gear) with a stock and lightly modified engines, and had not problem pulling off a stop. First gear with a 3.9 gave about 10:1 reduction; with a stock box, a 3.3 rear gear gives over 11:1 reduction, and 4th would emulate the overdrive ratio.

In a perfect world, limited to a 4spd, I'd select the 3.3 MGC ratio and the intermediate (3:1 first gear) MGC overdrive transmission ratios.

Edited for spelin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2008 11:33AM by twentyover.
BritishV8 Avatar
Curtis Jacobson
Longmont CO, USA   usa

John Targett has new matched sets (crown wheel and pinion) at 3.07, 3.7, and 3.9:

Please tell him I sent you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2008 11:15AM by BritishV8.
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

BritishV8 Wrote:
Quote: John Targett has new matched sets (crown wheel and pinion) at 3.07, 3.7, and 3.9:
Please tell him I sent you.
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11/25/08 11:15AM by BritishV8.

Too bad he doesn't offer the 3.307.

Does he have a website, or just e-mail/phone?

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"
1998 Jaguar XK8 Convertible

I think this company in England has about all the ratios that are available for either type axle. http://www.autogear.co.uk/product/?groupid=5&model=&manufacturer=5

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
BritishV8 Avatar
Curtis Jacobson
Longmont CO, USA   usa

Rick asked: "Does he have a website, or just e-mail/phone?"

John Targett DOES have a website, but it doesn't have his whole catalog or price-list on it. Just his wheels, actually: http://www.minilitewheels.us/

Websites are a pain for many small businesses to maintain. When you talk to John, you might mention how cool it would be if he had a "mini-website" or linked pdf orderform like the ones Pieces-of-Eight, Mantell Motorsport, and others have on the BritishV8 server! (Cheap, easy, and effective!) I'll see John this weekend at Summit Point ("Turkey Bowl" vintage races) and I'll probably suggest the same thing.

Incidentally, U.S./U.K. exchange rates have changed dramatically so these gear sets are probably finally getting more cost-effective.
BManBrian67 Avatar
Brian M
HB, California, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB MkI "MI MG"
2000 Porsche Boxster S "Got Box S"

Swap to a banjo type axle and you can swap third members very easily!!

what are you trying to accomplish by changing ratios in the rear end??

Do you want longer ratios for highway driving or gears for off the line.

If you swap to the banjo axle, right off the shelf you can get, 4.55:1, 4.875:1, and 5.125:1.

If you combine these with a 5 speed trans, like the Ford T9 Sierra trans, which has a huge aftermarket of gear sets available in England, you can achieve just about anything you want.

PLUS, the banjo axle afford EASY changes of the third member. You can swap without having to rebuild, in about an hour!!!! SIMPLE SIMPLE.

I don't think that going to a lower than 3.909:1 with a stock MGB engine is going to give you any off the line speed. You're better off changing the trans!

But, ideally the banjo.5-spd trans would be the best of both worlds.

Check out UK aftermarket suppliers for the T9. I can;t remember the name of the company that has about 15 different gear sets for the T9. I posted about on here a few years ago, but, their name escapes me.

B
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in the California mountains, USA   usa
1925 Ford Model T
1939 Ford V8
1949 MG TC
1953 MG Y-Type Saloon
1958 MG MGA   → more

Quote: I don't think that going to a lower than 3.909:1 with a stock MGB engine is going to give you any off the line speed. You're better off changing the trans!
How do you rationalize that? Lower rear end gears will absolutely give better acceleration. Plus, the stock MGB first gear is already quite low.

BManBrian67 Avatar
Brian M
HB, California, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB MkI "MI MG"
2000 Porsche Boxster S "Got Box S"

I mean a LOWER AXLE RATIO. Man, we're not seeing apples to apples today Steve.

As in 3.0:1 or 2.5:1.

sheesh!

a lower ratio is the OPPOSITE of off the line speed, a higher ratio like 5:1 at the rear end will give you a FASTER off the line speed. Your engine spools up faster and you go thru the gears faster, of course, the higher the the rear end ratio, the quicker you run out of gears, so top speed suffers.

My point about changing the trans is that if you are trying to achieve SOMETHING, either higher top end, or faster off the line speed, by CHANGING THE REAR AXLE RATIO. One will suffer.

You can change the trans, and achieve BOTH.

That's what I was rationalizing, I guess I assumed everyone was following along at home, I do that a lot.

I forget my mensa membership!

hahahahahahahaha

just kiddding!

b
BritishV8 Avatar
Curtis Jacobson
Longmont CO, USA   usa

Larry (who started this thread) is looking for a new axle ratio to better suit his V6 engine and its T5 5-speed with S10 pickup truck gear ratios, as he mentioned above at 7:48pm on the 24th.
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

Thanks, Curtis. Sometimes the original question gets lost in the discussion.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG