Please Sign In or Register to Search

electrical?tach,fuel guage, and temp guage not working

Posted by stephencs 
stephencs Avatar
Stephen Stites
Lafayette ky, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "BEATRICE"

any ideas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 11:27AM by stephencs.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

Third fuse
fordgt Avatar
Gary Ford
Gainesville, FL, USA   usa

stephencs Wrote:
Quote: any ideas
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/17/08 09:27AM by stephencs.

I'm gonna watch this one also. On my 69B I noticed the fuel gauge reads only about 1/4 - 1/2 full regardless, tach not at all and the temp gauge reads practically hot even though the temkperature gauge in the radiator never reads more than 160 with a 160 deg thermostat. I think part of the answer may be the voltage regulator under the dash.

Gary
1974 DeTomaso Pantera (done!!)
1969 MGB (almost finished!!)
1973 Cougar XR7 Ragtop (next project in line)
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

fordgt Wrote:
Quote: stephencs Wrote:Quote:
any ideas
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10/17/08 09:27AM by stephencs.
I'm gonna watch this one also. On my 69B I noticed the fuel gauge reads only about 1/4 - 1/2 full regardless, tach not at all and the temp gauge reads practically hot even though the temkperature gauge in the radiator never reads more than 160 with a 160 deg thermostat. I think part of the answer may be the voltage regulator under the dash.

voltage stabilizer connections
mpweekes Avatar
Mike Weekes
Fuquay Varina, NC, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT
1976 MG MGB "Ethyl"
1979 MG MGB

I had the similar issue on my 79B a couple of weeks ago, plus the wipers and turn signal and radiator cooling fan died. Fuses were all ok. It was a bad ignition relay. The one in front of the fuse panel. $6 at Advanced Auto. Someone on this forum diagnosed it for me and all is well now.
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

Had this same issue on the V8 one morning. Fired it up, all okay. Moments later, fuel gauge and tach go to empty/0 (temp still cold so nothing there yet). Waited a few minutes with engine running and nothing from the temp.

Found the third fuse contacts dirty, quick clean and off she goes. Voltage stabilizer has no connection to tach.
kerim21 Avatar
Kerim A
Pasadena, California, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Katie"

I have to support the 3rd. fuse... It happened to me before.

Kerim

"MODIFIER"

77 MG B (Milano Red)
4 speed with OD
HS4s TWIN CARB Conversion
96 Amp Alternator
Solid State Voltage regulator
Petronix Distributor and coil
Electronic Fuel pump
Xenon halogen headlights - (conversion)
Minilite Alloy Wheels
Fiat Spyder 124 Side Markers (Low profile)
Upholstered Dashboard
Advanced Auto Wire Harness
custom Exhaust and headers
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

Simon Austin Wrote:
Quote: Had this same issue on the V8 one morning. Fired it up, all okay. Moments later, fuel gauge and tach go to empty/0 (temp still cold so nothing there yet). Waited a few minutes with engine running and nothing from the temp.
Found the third fuse contacts dirty, quick clean and off she goes. Voltage stabilizer has no connection to tach.

The green wire terminal on the voltage stabilizer is used as a splice providing power to the voltage stabilizer and the tach.

stephencs Avatar
Stephen Stites
Lafayette ky, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "BEATRICE"

thanks i'll check that out i believe you are correct because the fuse is intact and the contact are clean thanks again
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

stephencs Wrote:
Quote: thanks i'll check that out i believe you are correct because the fuse is intact and the contact are clean thanks again

Did you use a test light to verify if there is voltage on the terminals that the green wires connect to on the fuse box?
Is there anything else not working? Turn signals? Heater fan? Wipers?
ourmg Avatar
George Heissenberger
Victor, New York, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB "OUR MG- The Old Girl"
2006 Mini Cooper "Greta's Mini"

Having owned our MGB for over 20+ years I have found I have to spin the fuses in their holders as preventative maintanence every once in a while to make sure there's no surface rust starting and all is well. I'd check #3.

"OUR MG" Glacier White 1973 MGB, owned since 1983. Factory hardtop. Member MG Car Club Western New York Centre
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

Kimberly Wrote:
Quote: The green wire terminal on the voltage stabilizer is used as a splice providing power to the voltage stabilizer and the tach.

Oh yeah...except for that.winking smiley

That'll teach me to post at work when I should be doing other things. I should clarify that I was thinking of the output side ("I" terminal) of the stabilizer.

stephencs Avatar
Stephen Stites
Lafayette ky, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "BEATRICE"

thanks i'll try that hopefully this week end sorry for not replying sooner havn't been able to do the fun stuff latley thanks
stephencs Avatar
Stephen Stites
Lafayette ky, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "BEATRICE"

the third fuse is ok could it be int the connection also the list has grown to turn signals, tech fuel guage wipers and who knows what else thanks stephen
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

stephencs Wrote:
Quote: the third fuse is ok could it be int the connection also the list has grown to turn signals, tech fuel guage wipers and who knows what else thanks stephen

Did you use a test light or meter to verify that you are getting power to the fuse box (white/brown wires)?
Did you use a test light or meter to verify that you have power to the terminals the green wires connect to on the fuse box?

Green wire circuit consists of the wipers, turn signal, tachometer, fuel gauge, windshield washers, brake lights, and reverse lights.

The fuse for the green wire circuit gets power from a relay (ignition relay) controlled by the white wire circuit.

Wiring diagrams are available at http://www.advanceautowire.com click on stock schematics.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG