MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Replacing transmission without removing the engine?

Posted by Athanasius 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Athanasius Avatar
Jonathan Hays
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB

It seems like I've read a few threads that seem to hint that you can in fact remove the transmission without removing the engine. I have a 64 B, but I have a 66 5 main engine in place and need to swap out the trans.

So, simply put - can I remove that transmission without removing the engine? If so, any tips?

The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT "Blueberry"
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4
2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor

Yes.

Tips - don't, it's way more trouble than it's worth.

Nulla tenaci invia est via

1971 MGBGT, overdrive, Limey relay and fuse kits, Rick Ingram struts all round, Jeff Schlemmer points distributor, mgccars.com alternator, Basil Adams camshaft and side cover, Eurospec tail lights, 1976 dashboard and console, 1999 Chevy cavalier seats, GM heater motor and fan with Ford 3 speed controller, Ford Merkur/Sierra parcel shelf, cruise control.

1979 B, Olds 215 engine with 1996 Landrover heads, Carter AFB, Camaro T5 gearbox, Limey relay kit, Rick Ingram struts all round, mgccars alternator, Jeff Schlemmer distributor with Petronix, Eurospec tail lights, cruise control, 99 Pontiac Sunfire seats.

1969 MGBGT, Miata seats, late centre console, apart from that it's stock!

Athanasius Avatar
Jonathan Hays
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB

The Wiz Wrote:
Quote: Tips - don't, it's way more trouble than it's worth.

grinning smiley

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4

I did it once, it took longer than pulling the engine.

1971 MGBGT, overdrive, Limey relay and fuse kits, Rick Ingram struts all round, Jeff Schlemmer points distributor, mgccars.com alternator, Basil Adams camshaft and side cover, Eurospec tail lights, 1976 dashboard and console, 1999 Chevy cavalier seats, GM heater motor and fan with Ford 3 speed controller, Ford Merkur/Sierra parcel shelf, cruise control.

1979 B, Olds 215 engine with 1996 Landrover heads, Carter AFB, Camaro T5 gearbox, Limey relay kit, Rick Ingram struts all round, mgccars alternator, Jeff Schlemmer distributor with Petronix, Eurospec tail lights, cruise control, 99 Pontiac Sunfire seats.

Lamb-Man Avatar
Gary Lamb
Tracy, CA SF Bay Area, USA   usa
1970 Triumph Spitfire "To Be Determined"
1975 MG MGB "Twiggy"

I replaced the clutch one with the engine in which is basically the same thing.
You still have to remove most of the stuff you would do to pull it, radiator, manifold to tail pipe connection etc, then you have to jack the engine up off the engine mounts and as far forward as possible. Then I still had to pry the engine and tranny apart with a 6 foot long 2x4 to get the last inch or so. That still wasn't as much fun as getting the two to mate back together while lying on my back in the dust on a 100 degree day. You get the idea.
There are times to be cheap, err uh thrifty and times not to, this is one of those.
I bet if you out the word out somone up in your area would loan you a hoist for a half day.

The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind!

Athanasius Avatar
Jonathan Hays
Seattle, WA, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB

Cheers guys, both responses were what I needed to know - I'll just pull the whole thing.

The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4

Almost what Gary said, I managed to remove an O/D transmission without undoing the engine mounts, I will never do it again. If you can, buy an engine hoist, otherwise a come-along around a couple of sturdy beams will do the job, I used that method for many years, and that was a step up from the block and tackle I started with. smiling smiley

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
David Abbott Avatar
Los Angeles, USA   usa

It is far easier to remove both engine and tranny together and takes much less time. Plus, trying to get the tranny back on is much easier with the engine out.

1970 BGT Daily Driver named "Elizabeth".
Nissan KA24E SOHC fuel injected 12 valve 4 cylinder engine
Nissan 5 speed manual transmission
OEM Nissan ECU & MAF . Cold air intake.
MSD 6A Electronic Ignition, MSD Blaster 2 Coil
1965 Ford Mustang 3.8 radiator
No Mechanical Fan, Electric puller fan w/ Hayes adjustible thermostatic controller
Lever front, Spax tubes rear
Late model OEM MGB RPM gauge plugged into MSD tach output.
Nissan VSS and Electronic Speedometer modded into MGB OEM speedo case
Early (1967) model tail lights, No side markers. No bumper over-riders and no side molding.
15 X 6 Alloy rims off a 2000 Honda Accord With Cooper 185 X 65 HR 15's on them.
custom grill , Xenon headlamps
Single Group 26 Battery, 2 gage battery cables
Miata clutch slave. Wooden "Dino" steering wheel

brian70mgb Avatar
Brian Pratt
Huntington, WV, USA   usa

and the hardest part about pulling the whole lump for me is the blasted tranny crossmember....not really much to take loose to pull the whole thing. Ive got mine down to about an hour to get the whole thing out last time i did it.

Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

This is a narrow tunnel car? Might make it more difficult. I'd pull the whole thing.

Rictus Avatar
Marc Tyler
Sisterdale,Texas, USA   usa
1965 Datsun L-320 truck "Domino"
1968 MG MGB GT "Incontinentia."
1970 Datsun SPL-311 Roadster

The Wiz Wrote:
Quote: Almost what Gary said, I managed to remove an O/D transmission without undoing the engine mounts, I will never do it again. If you can, buy an engine hoist, otherwise a come-along around a couple of sturdy beams will do the job, I used that method for many years, and that was a step up from the block and tackle I started with.

I worry about a come-along for an overhead lift. I've had one slip on me, so I got a chain hoist from Tractor supply.

Tom Bedenbaugh Avatar
Memphis,Tn, USA   usa

Lamb-Man Wrote:
Quote: I replaced the clutch one with the engine in which is basically the same thing.
You still have to remove most of the stuff you would do to pull it, radiator, manifold to tail pipe connection etc, then you have to jack the engine up off the engine mounts and as far forward as possible. Then I still had to pry the engine and tranny apart with a 6 foot long 2x4 to get the last inch or so. That still wasn't as much fun as getting the two to mate back together while lying on my back in the dust on a 100 degree day. You get the idea.
There are times to be cheap, err uh thrifty and times not to, this is one of those.
I bet if you out the word out somone up in your area would loan you a hoist for a half day.

I don't know where you got that method to pull the tranny,but it is WWWWAY wrong. It's a simple matter of removing the shifter housing. Turn the tranny about 1/4 turn clock wise and drop it. I'm not a big fan of doing it because I don't like working on my back. Also if the rear mounts are good and I don't have to pull the tranny. I do not pull them together. It may take a few mins. more to get the clutch splines lined up but far less than installing the rear cross member.

http://www.importandsports.com/

Jerry Avatar
Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   usa

if you replace the old transmission with the 5 speed conversion you will be able to do it from then on....but why? only to change clutch.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG