MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Speedometer calibration

Posted by john lundberg 

I found a pretty good write up on how to repair/calibrate a Smiths speedometer.

http://www.tidentenn.com/cars/Speedometer%20Repairs.pdf

Are there any supplier's which will have the replacement gears for the odometer? (e.g. I need a 40 tooth instead of a 32 tooth to calibrate for my overdrive)
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Tom Rynne Avatar
Tom Rynne
Milwaukee, USA   usa

I just sent my speedo to Nissonger because the odo gears weren't working. i am not sure if they supply parts but it would be the first place I'd ask. 888-781-6968

Tom
1965 Midget
18 K orig miles
All orig but new wheels
Paul Noble
Bay Village, Ohio, USA   usa

Why don't you simply try to locate a speedometer that is already calibrated correctly for your OD? There is a brisk trade in speedometers on eBay. You could by the one you need, then sell the one you have, reducing your investment.

The drawback is that, when buying from an eBay seller, you may be buying a speedo that is badly worn and won't give an accurate reading.

Nissonger is the best bet, but they're not cheap.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

I guess I figure that the part required should cost around $10.00 and that calibrating the speedo seems strait forward.

My local MG repair guy has had problems with Nossonger, so I have a trust issue with sending both my only 79 speedo and $110.

As for the correct speedo for my transmission, I believe that MG only installed one type of speedo in 79 and the info in the speedo section of the mgexperience is not correct.

I do not need to change ANY parts in my speedo to recalibrate for the OD and only need to change one gear to correct the odometer.

I should talk to Nissonger about parts availability, I have only asked about a complete repair.
John D. Weimer Avatar
Cape Girardeau, MO, USA   usa

I put an OD in my '78 and didn't have to change the speedo, works just like it always did, it still wiggles.

My Motto: Clean Body, Clean Mind...................... Take Your Pick.

chris roop Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

I think 78s only had one speedo. Well, two; wiggle and not wiggle.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon.Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.

Problem Solved?!?

I believe that I can change to the late model OD pinion and that will correct the speedometer.

Has anyone done this? How hard is it to change?

Best of all, I think I have one in my parts box! smiling smiley
Rob Edwards Avatar
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   usa
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1970 MG MGB GT "Donor"   → more

Has anyone figured out the difference between o/d and non-o/d speedos where the TPM is the same?

I've got a non-o/d '69 roadster, and the speedo is 1280 TPM. I've put in an o/d gearbox from a '72 roadster, and it's speedo was 1280 TPM. Looking at catalogs, it seems that in '69 the o/d cars and non-o/d cars took different part numbers for speedos, but both were 1280 TPM. Ditto 1972.

Is 1280 _really_ 1280? Or could 1280 be, say 1278 for o/d and 1282 for non-o/d?

Cheers!

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org

Rob, try checking out the link I posted at the top. TPM is TPM.

In addition, the speedometer uses a magnetic pickup which is independent of the gears. The article talks about fine tuning your speedometer for your car's final drive ratio (including the wheels).
Rob Edwards Avatar
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   usa
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1970 MG MGB GT "Donor"   → more

John, cheers! I've looked at the link and bookmarked it. Looks like interesting stuff.

My speedo seems to be calibrated fine. I'm just curious as to why different part numbers for o/d vs non-o/d for the same year car, when the TPM is the same. The part number on the face of the gauge (which is not the Unipart part number) will be the same, but the suffix is different: 5226/03 for non-o/d vs 5226/08 for o/d. As cheap as automakers are, they'll commonise as many parts as they possibly can. That tells me if there's a different number, there's some difference between the two instruments, despite that in practice they seem perfectly interchangeable....

Perplexed,

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG