MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Kelly Blue Book

Posted by draymond 
draymond Avatar
Dean Raymond
Central NJ, USA   usa

My local Nissan dealer says they will give 1400 dollars over Kelly Blue Book value of a used car for trade in. Out of curiosity, does Kelly Blue Book publish the value of the MG's still? I didnt see anything obvious on line that goes back to 1977.

Dean Raymond
77MGB 69 Engine
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
eclecticalan Avatar
Alan Dalman
Holland, MI, USA   usa

20 years, so 1988 is as far back as they go.
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

Kelly Blue Book does not cover older cars, but the NADA guide does. www.nada.com. See if the dealer will cover the NADA guide values in lieu of the Kelly Blue Book
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

any such listing it totally bogus and out of touch with the current market.

any given B could be worth from $300 to $20,000+ depending entirely on it's condition -- not some book.

the "Blue book" is even innaccurate for new cars.

banks use it for loan value because they have nothing else they can hang their hat on. Dealers use it only when it is to their advantage

1973 Roadster. A nice 50-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com
underdog Avatar
Jim Underwood
Pittsburgh, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB
1980 Triumph TR8 "Fabulous Trashwagon"
1999 Chevrolet Corvette "Darth Vader"
1999 Chevrolet S10 "Spare Change"
2003 Jaguar S-Type "Eleanor"

Believe me, that dealer is covering the trade value somewhere. We have one here that offers a minimum trade value. Push it, Pull it or Tow it I think it goes. I know that isn't answering the question but... I would be willing to bet you would come out ahead selling the B (even for a lower price) and hagling out a straight deal on the new car.
twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

Now hear this crew members, now hear this...

The only "book" worth a twit is the NADA yellow book published for dealer use.

The rest of them, Kelly Blue and the like are not reliable and are "made to sell".

As I recall NADA publishes a thick version that goes further back more years every calendar quarter or so. If you get one hang on to it until the next one comes along.

I am with the others though. There really isn't anything that can replace good careful documentation over say a recent month or two for actual sales.

As far as the dealer is concerned and what he is advertising, just forget about it. I worked with the dealer system for too long and I know too much. The independents are exactly the same too. I really hate to indict the whole of the car sales industry, but I think that they caught some sort of bug from the olden day horse traders and it has become systemic in their DNA.

Edit: Dealers may use The Black Book or they may use the Blue Book, but that is only for dealing with YOU. The real test is what The Bank uses for valuation for calculating collateral and that is almost always the Orange NADA book.

Jack

---------------------------------------------------- Services to Interesting British Automobiles-- www.jackscars.net ----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------I like to think that I don't service automobiles so much as I provide entertainment, fulfill dreams and revive wonderful memories --------------

I am in the northwestern North Carolina mountains, right up against the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lawn chairs are in the shop and always time to talk. Drop in any time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 09:18PM by twigworker.

Jacks Cars - Services To Interesting British Automobiles Over 40 years of caring and capable services to British cars and their owners. For help or advice please call 828-295-0224, email to jackscars@charter.net or go to www.jackscars.net.
ltelencio Avatar
LARRY TELENCIO
Naples, FLORIDA, USA   usa

Dealers use the Black book more then anything, and the black book does publish an old car book.It happens to be gray in color. However the dollars are based on auction results and in no way repersent the true value of an MG that is in better then oringal condition for its age I am a used car manager at a dealership, right after I bought my GT we took in a 79 RD with 29,000 miles, unmolested condition but no real upkeep, we put $3500 "real money" in the car. It sold at auction for $3600.
10kpharo Avatar
Julian L
Windsor Lodge, West Coast of New York, USA   usa

No offense to anyone who may be in the automotive sales industry - but boy do I hate buying a new car. That's why I drive mine into the ground. I try to get 10+ years out of every vehicle. I'm even thinking of giving up buying any new cars from here on in. They cost too much new, they depreciate too rapidly, etc.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT "Blueberry"
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4
2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor

10kpharo Wrote:
Quote: No offense to anyone who may be in the automotive sales industry - but boy do I hate buying a new car. That's why I drive mine into the ground. I try to get 10+ years out of every vehicle. I'm even thinking of giving up buying any new cars from here on in. They cost too much new, they depreciate too rapidly, etc.

We never buy new, always a year or two old, you can get low mileage cars for way less than the price of a new one - I'm quite happy for someone else to take the initial depreciation hit.

Nulla tenaci invia est via

1971 MGBGT, overdrive, Limey relay and fuse kits, Rick Ingram struts all round, Jeff Schlemmer points distributor, mgccars.com alternator, Basil Adams camshaft and side cover, Eurospec tail lights, 1976 dashboard and console, 1999 Chevy cavalier seats, GM heater motor and fan with Ford 3 speed controller, Ford Merkur/Sierra parcel shelf, cruise control.

1979 B, Olds 215 engine with 1996 Landrover heads, Carter AFB, Camaro T5 gearbox, Limey relay kit, Rick Ingram struts all round, mgccars alternator, Jeff Schlemmer distributor with Petronix, Eurospec tail lights, cruise control, 99 Pontiac Sunfire seats.

1969 MGBGT, Miata seats, late centre console, apart from that it's stock!
ltelencio Avatar
LARRY TELENCIO
Naples, FLORIDA, USA   usa

I hate buying a new car too, I lease my wifes car and I drive a 1974 MG!

Cheers,
Larry

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG