MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

MGB Heater matrix removal

Posted by denvermgb 
denvermgb Avatar
Brad Carson
Aurora, Colorado, USA   usa

The is the first time I have tried to remove the heater in my '75 MGB. I have removed all the screws in the engine compartment and the box lifts up slightly. What else do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

Brad
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
PaulM Avatar
Paul McLaren
Lower Mainland BC, Canada   can
1968 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB "Miss Lou"
1970 MG MGB "Dolly"

Try this site ...you have to angle it towards the engine as you tug on it.

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/b_heater

Paul McLaren

1969 MGC GT
1970 MGB Roadster
1970 MGB Roadster
gooser Avatar
Drake Myers
Danville Va, USA   usa

did you remove the stuff from inside the car? remove the radio & pull out the defroster tubes. disconnect the heater cable from the das and pull cable out with heater. while you can remove the tubes from around the back of the radio (maybe) you can't push them back into place with the radio in place. you may have to bend the tab where the large screw goes above the heater and remove the hood weatherstripping to have room to remove heater.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Jim Duke Avatar
James Duke
Memphis, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

What Drake says. And, then what Paul says - pull! Watch you don't get the cable severely twisted. A lot of spray lubricant helped me some - but not a lot. It will be more difficult going back in.

Jim D
eclecticalan Avatar
Alan Dalman
Holland, MI, USA   usa

If you're lucky you can contort yourself and look into the vent in the passenger's footwell and disconnect the heater cable. If not, disconnect it at the heater control.
denvermgb Avatar
Brad Carson

Thanks guys! I need to get this thing out so I can finish the engine bay, get the engine/tranny back in - Spring's coming!

Brad
Michael Humphries
Montgoemry, Alabama, USA   usa

Screw it! I'll just go without heat!!
Jim Smith
CASSIDY, BC, Canada   can

denvermgb Wrote:
Quote: The is the first time I have tried to remove the heater in my '75 MGB. I have removed all the screws in the engine compartment and the box lifts up slightly. What else do I need to do?
Thanks in advance,
Brad

It isn't all that complicated to change out the heater matrix. I replaced the one in my 1971 B last week and it took all of an hour.

Contrary to what has been said the complete heater box does not need to be removed to replace the heater matrix! Why make a simple job into an involved one?

The complete box only needs removing if the heater is being rebuilt.

Here is how I did it:
1 Turn the heater coolant valve off.
2 Electrically disconnect and remove the fan motor via the 3 screws.
3 Remove the 3 small screws behind the fuel line heat shield.
4 Remove the 2 small screws at the sides of the of the box. The one on the passenger side can be ugly. A ¼” socket on a small ratchet ad a screw bit will sometimes make this screw easier to remove.
5 Remove the larger screw at the top of the box.
6 Remove both hoses.
7 Remove the 5 clips
8 Wiggle the front heater box cover till it can be removed.
9 Slide the heater core out. Note where the foam tape is on the old core
10 Re-gasket the new core
Re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Jim...Nanaimo, BC
1971 MGB collector
1975 MGB driver
1975 MGB in pieces waiting for V6
2005 Mini Cooper

A wise man overhauls his brakes before his engine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2008 01:38AM by Jim1971.
comart45 Avatar
Peter Cummins
Lansing,MI, USA   usa

A Dozen Hail Mary's.
JackMG Avatar
Jack Lindler
Greenville,SC, USA   usa

Grunt, curse, wish a pox on the flaming idiot who put it in like that, pull, pry.
Repeat the above repeatedly until you have scratched all the paint off the shelf, bent the housing flange, and the heater finally pops up. While you have it out, cut the top off the top rear tab that is held by the top screw, and spray the foam filler with silicone to make it easier to re-install (and easier to remove again if necessary). Judging from the odor when I use mine, the new core I bought also has a microscopic leak.
progun Avatar
Paul Brouillette
Lafayette, LA, USA   usa
1952 MG TD
1973 MG MGB GT "BGT"
1974 MG MGB GT

I gave up and am going to paint around it. Paul

I spend most of my money on beer, women and cars...... the rest I just waste!

Paul Brouillette
Duson, LA

1969 MGBGT
1974 Porsche 914
1966 Kaiser-Jeep 6x6
1952 MG-TD
PaulM Avatar
Paul McLaren
Lower Mainland BC, Canada   can
1968 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB "Miss Lou"
1970 MG MGB "Dolly"

Brad,
I have removed the heater box on both of my cars, the "seal-heater outlet" Moss part 363-165" is the thick rubber gasket. The first one was made from a very hard rubber, the second was soft and much more plyable. I still had to shave some rubber off of both them to get it back in.
Let us know how it goes.

Paul McLaren

1969 MGC GT
1970 MGB Roadster
1970 MGB Roadster
Jim Smith
CASSIDY, BC, Canada   can

The posted topic was “MGB Heater matrix removal".
Not "Heater box removal".
Why give instructions to make the task a great deal more difficult? confused smiley

Brad do not remove the neater box if all you are doing is exchanging the heater matrix.
That air control cable is a pain. The rubber seal at the base of the box can be very difficult to get back into place.
If you do remove the heater box, put the cable in after the box is loosely in place. This way the air control flap can be set so that it actually directs the hot air at the windshield.
This is done thru the passenger foot vent as shown on the Chicago MG web site. As per Paul’s link < http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/b_heater>;.
This method of hooking the cable up is easy only if you are small/skinny and have those girly hands!

Jim...Nanaimo, BC
1971 MGB collector
1975 MGB driver
1975 MGB in pieces waiting for V6
2005 Mini Cooper

A wise man overhauls his brakes before his engine.
denvermgb Avatar
Brad Carson

I guess I was not clear, again, lending to my explanation that this is my first time. I do want to remove the entire box, I thought it was referred to as the "heater matrix."

Once again, I appreciate everyones' input.

Paul, I would guess that you could not remove the heater box due to distractions by your clean-up crew?!

Brad

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save