Please Sign In or Register to Search

SU fuel pump rebuild costs a much as a new pump

Posted by 74MGBV8 
74MGBV8 Avatar
Dan A
Dallas, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB GT "GT"
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "BV8"

Sometime ago, I bought a used fuel pump on Ebay for about $25.00. I decided to purchase the fuel pump repair kit from Victoria British and restore the pump to the original spec. The fuel pump kit from VB is an original SU from Burlen Fuel Systems and it comes with everything you need. I also decided to go all the way order the SU decal. I have a friend that does CAD plating and took care of the pipe fittings and housing covers (for free!). After getting all the components together, I spent the weekend cleaning the rest of the parts and below is the finished result. I have to say that after calculating all the costs, it would have been cheaper to buy a replacement SU pump. Nonetheless, I know how the pump is put together and it is extremely easy to rebuild. If any one needs any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 09:47AM by 74MGBV8.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
fuel pump 004.JPG (39.8 KB) –
fuel pump 004.JPG

fuel pump 006.JPG (36.8 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
Montrose Avatar
Robert Carley
Campbellville, Ontario, Canada   can

It's always a challenge to rebuilt a part, but now you know it inside and out, and feeling good is better than just spending money.

Imperial by choice; Metric by force.
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

Looks great! I assume thats a points style pump. Dont let it sit too long.
Rob
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
JMoore Avatar
John Moore
Clifton Park, NY, USA   usa

Montrose Wrote:
Quote: It's always a challenge to rebuilt a part, but now you know it inside and out, and feeling good is better than just spending money.

X2

John Moore

'70 MGB, '68 MGBGT, '99 Land Rover Discovery II, '61 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

x2 the looks great! So, what if one put some dielectric grease on the points? Would they still film over?
Edit: afterall, the new pumps sit around quite awhile before installation and they always work right out of the box. Is it just points that have been dressed that film?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 10:20AM by chris.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

Chris, I dont know if they put anything on them before they are boxed but I CAN tell you from experience -- THEY DONT ALWAYS WORK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX !
Its aggrevating.

Rob
underdog Avatar
Jim Underwood
Pittsburgh, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB
1980 Triumph TR8 "Fabulous Trashwagon"
1999 Chevrolet Corvette "Darth Vader"
1999 Chevrolet S10 "Spare Change"
2003 Jaguar S-Type "Eleanor"

Like that with a lot of stuff these days. Doesn't pay to rebuild CV joints anymore cause you can get a rebuilt axle for the price of the boots. Brake rotors are another..not all but a lot are cheaper to replace than fooling around haveing them cut. Lots of electronic gizmos from computers to DVD players...goes bad, chuk it & buy a new one. There is satisfaction to be had rebuilding something and as a hobby, it makes sence.
ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

Chris - Rob is correct, the points style pump don't always work right out of the box - it depends on how long they have sat on the shelf. Before I started using the magnetic reed switch (now optical sensor) to a transistor, I had restored a number of pumps for a local MG enthusiast, several which went on the shelf as spares. during that period, I used new points when restoring the pumps. Over thee period of several years, he stated bring restored pumps that wouldn't work back to me. That is when I determined that there was a problem with the points filming over during times of disuse. Adding to the problem for my restored pumps, with the points triggering the transistor, there was not sufficient current density through the points to keep the film burned off. After switching to the magnetic reed switch for triggering the transistor, I took a couple of new, fixed upper contacts that I had tested for conduction, using a rounded tipped probe so that it wouldn't pierce through any film that had developed. I would periodically retest them and after about a year and a half to two years, the contacts would not conduct unless I applied a lot of force, pressing the probe down on the face of the contacts.

"So, what if one put some dielectric grease on the points?"

I have never tried that and the factory (Burlen Fuel Systems) doesn't use any dielectric grease on them. I suspect that the new pumps don't normally sit on the shelf for a long enough time to be a problem. That would be an interesting experiment for someone to conduct, using one pump without the grease as a control unit and one pump with grease. I don't know how one would ensure that two new sets of points had the same amount of time on the shelf themselves if the points were replaced in a couple of existing pumps.

My solution was to just eliminate the points altogether, using the magnetic reed switch. I know, someone is going to point out that the reed switch is just another, different set of points, but the reed switches are hermetically sealed and surrounded with an inert gas. My latest modification uses an optical trigger, which gets around the nuisance of magnetic interference.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Phantomracer Avatar
Paul Seeberg
Boston, MA, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB GT "72 White GT"
1980 MG MGB "Phantomracer"

what about putting a good amount of desicant in the box to attract any unwanted moisture from affecting the points? Eastwood has a similar product (descicant holder) to screw into spark plug holes in a motor to keep cylinder walls from rusting.

Maybe sprits a light coating of wd40 or something similar on the points before storage.

Never had an issue with any power equipment or cars with points that failed to start. Even my 72 skylark that I had started first try after about 12 years in storage (with 12 year old gasoline, oil, etc). Just a new battery, tossed some gas in the carb. fired up on the first try. Points were fine. Replaced the apparent factory points (car had 18k mi on it when I got it in 1986) just before I sold the car.

An MG is never 'finished', if there is nothing for you to currently work on it is merely 'resting'.
New My 1980 MGB roadster 'refresh' facebook page (please 'like' to get updates)
My Facebook page
1980 MGB Inca Yellow
1972 MGB-GT Glacier White
My (needs to be updated) lousy website
Brittanic Motors-Premier British Car Service
mgb65 Avatar
Ron Walsh
Okeechobee, Florida, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB "Lady Penelope"

I have been thinking about this, since I have a couple of spare pumps laying around. I found it pretty amazing that a rebuild kit costs almost as much as a new pump. While I am one for rebuilding things myself, I just have problems with paying as much for parts as a new pump will cost.

Just my $.02 of course.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

"what about putting a good amount of desicant in the box"

"Maybe sprits a light coating of wd40 or something similar on the points before storage."

Try it out, you might get lucky, but have one of the little electronic Facet pumps on hand to get you going when you try the stored pumps and it doesn't start up for you.

Rebuilding a SU fuel pump can be done economically, but not by buying one of the rebuild kits - they are ridiculously expensive because they have all sorts of parts in them that don't need to be replaced. I only replace the parts that need to be replaced, reusing the old parts that don't show a lot of wear.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich McKie
Steveston, B.C., Canada   can
1997 MG MGF "VVC"

I recently bought a dirty 50 year old MGA Twin-Cam pump on E-bay and had it sent directly to Dave for a rebuild and conversion to solid-state. I got it back a week or so ago and I have to say It's a thing of beauty! You would swear that it is a brand new pump, it certainly fooled my daughter's millwright boyfriend.
Dave did a very professional job for a very reasonable price. In fact the cost of the used pump plus rebuild plus postage still cost me only about two-thirds of what a new standard SU would have cost.
Thanks Dave!

Cheers,
Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 12:25AM by Rich in Vancouver.

Attachments:
for sale 1207 017.jpg (27.1 KB) –
for sale 1207 017.jpg

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich McKie
Steveston, B.C., Canada   can
1997 MG MGF "VVC"

Just FYI here's a before picture of the pump.

Attachments:
f9bd_1.jpg (10 KB) –
f9bd_1.jpg

BManBrian67 Avatar
Brian M
HB, California, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB MkI "MI MG"
2000 Porsche Boxster S "Got Box S"

That's what's wrong with all of us MGB tinkerers. We never stop to think about those LOGICAL things, like time and money! Heck, it also isn't as fun to just order out of the catalogue anyway, right??? Well, wait a minute, it IS FUN to order out of the catalog.

Heck, now I'm all confused! I was gonna make a point there, and talked myself right out of it.

How about - It's fun to order new stuff out of the catalog and it's also fun to rebuild and tinker with stuff! There! That's it!

Now, repeat!

hahahaha

Brian
ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

Rich - Thanks for the good words. I am afraid I am just a product of Navy training - work it may, shine it must. But I am not the only one who turns out well cleaned and shined products. I just received the distributor for our TD back from being restored by Jeff Schlemmer and it is a thing of beauty.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB

Member Services:

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG