MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Where's The Hood Release!!!!!!

Posted by nite53 
M Nite
Myrtle Beach SC, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

Hey Everybody! I just bought my first MGB, a 76 model. Brought it home, went to open the hood, found the safety latch, but not the release cable!!!!!!! Where is it???? The only "handles" under the dash are what seems to be the air vent control, and to the left of that, a small black round knob that doesn't turn or pull!

Are there any pics of the switches/ controls and functions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
blundgren Avatar
Brian Lundgren
Elgin, TX, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB

Should be under the dash, way to the left, about where your left knee would be.

Brian Lundgren
Central Texas
'79 B with wires and OD
'75 Yeller B

I always wanted to be a procrastinator, but never got around to it! :beer:
Kimberly Avatar
Kimberly ?
Pinole, CA, USA   usa

Look under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel, close to the door.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
Jefferson, Georgia, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

It should be on the far left, well back under the dash. You pull it straight out. It should have a black handle on it. I've posted a picture in a later post.

How could you get to the safety catch if you couldn't get the hood open?

John English
1976 MGB
HIF44 carb on late manifold, Schlemmerized 45D w/Pertronix, Limey's relay kit, solid state voltage stabilizer.

Luke 1:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 11:27PM by jdeluke137.
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
1976 MG MGB

By the way - welcome aboard!

You may already know this, but if you're anywhere close to Clemson you've got a great parts supplier there - Gordon at the B Hive. Here's a link to his website:

http://bhive.tierranet.com/intro.htm

John English
1976 MGB
HIF44 carb on late manifold, Schlemmerized 45D w/Pertronix, Limey's relay kit, solid state voltage stabilizer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2007 11:09PM by jdeluke137.
Lee Avatar
Lee
Lee Miller
Mburg, PA, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG Midget

Knob with a B on it. This is a 67B but all have the bonnet release in the same place, unless its a right hand drive.

Lee Miller

Experience - hobbyist, rotisserie restoration 1967 MGB, welding, bodywork, painting, wiring, interior, suspension, clutch, engine, SU HS4 carburetors, windshield, and installing convertible top.

Website www.myclassicmg.com

1971 MG MGB
1971 MG Midget
1967 MG MGB
1966 MG MGB restoration project
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
1976 MG MGB

Picture of knob from a 76B.

John English
1976 MGB

Attachments:
111-1187_IMG.JPG (31.1 KB) –
111-1187_IMG.JPG

twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

For the record, the things on the right of the column are the lever that pulls the fresh air door open and the trip odometer reset. Turn the reset knob one way or another to reset the numerals on the speedo head. Sometimes you have to pull or push the knob to get it to engage.

Welcome aboard. This NC/SC/GA area is a hot bead of LBC (Little British Car) folks and they are all good folks. Check in here as often as you can and ask any questions that come to mind. BTW: There are no more dumb questions so don't be bashful. We have already asked the dumbest ones. LOL

Unless you are already some sort of gear head, be prepared to become at least a slight one. A lot of enjoyment of these cars is knowing how they tick. You don't have to do all of you own work but understanding what is going on in various departments helps make your ownership more pleasant. If you didn't get books with the car I would suggest that you dig up an original owner's hand book at least and at best start your library with what is called The Bentley manual. The one for your car has a red cover and includes all of the rubber bumper cars from late 74 through the end of production in 80. Amazon and other literature sites will have both.

Also, go out to the car and take a note or two. Jot down the serial number and production date. That will be on a plate in the driver's door jamb. The go to the passenger side of the engine and about half way down in the middle where the head meets the block the should be a narrow riveted on plate with a sequence of numbers and letters beginning with 18V***. Get that info and come back to you computer and reset that information in your member profile so that it shows up under your name and where you live when you place a post. Add your city of residence too. All of that will help greatly when someone wants to respond to your questions as they will know right off the bat what model and equipment you have on the car.

Jack

---------------------------------------------------- Services to Interesting British Automobiles-- www.jackscars.net ----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------I like to think that I don't service automobiles so much as I provide entertainment, fulfill dreams and revive wonderful memories --------------

I am in the northwestern North Carolina mountains, right up against the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lawn chairs are in the shop and always time to talk. Drop in any time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 06:13AM by twigworker.
comart45 Avatar
Peter Cummins
Lansing,MI, USA   usa

The B is missing on my knob, but here's a pic. Also the location of the voltage stabilzer for the temp and gas gauge. That's a whole different subject for later.

Attachments:
HoodReleaseVoltRegulator.jpg (38.7 KB) –
HoodReleaseVoltRegulator.jpg

Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB

Looks like coathanger fun time!
After you get the hood open order a secondary bonnet release from Gerry. On second thought, check under the left fender for a release.

Nice-car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 09:17AM by ClayJ.
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Jose The GT"
1969 MG MGB "Raggedy (Ann) Roadster"

Maybe you have one of those handy dandy jerry-rigged releases that come out in the driver's side wheel well. Is there a wire, with a handle, ahead of and above the wheel/tire?
Naomi Avatar
Naomi C
Between Greensboro and Roanoke, USA   usa
1964 MG MGB "Kirby"
1979 MG MGB "Bandit"
1980 MG MGB "Robbie"
1995 Mazda Miata Special Edition
2003 Jaguar S-Type

sailadams Wrote:
Quote: Maybe you have one of those handy dandy jerry-rigged releases that come out in the driver's side wheel well. Is there a wire, with a handle, ahead of and above the wheel/tire?

Ya can get a "Professional One" from our own Gerry and it's GREAT!!!

"1964 MGB" (Kirby) All original pull handle MGB, 3 main, with overdrive, but a daily driver with all the dents and dings to prove it -- Titled in 1965~~

"1980 MGB" (Robbie) Even though it's a RB it does have overdrive, a Weber Carb, and is my favorite MGB. We have logged thousands of happy miles together ~~
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

That's the one I meant. Gerry not Jerry.
Pat Neher
Alexandria, VA and HuffS Church, PA, USA   usa

Hiya Peter,

Great Dash. Has anyone else painted their dashes a smooth gloss to match their body color or something similar?

Pat
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
1976 MG MGB

Okay - where's nite53. I want to know if he ever got his hood open.

John English
1976 MGB

M Nite
Myrtle Beach SC, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

Thanks for that pic, it did the trick!! It was behind some wiring that was hanging down and I couldn't see it becuase the car is still on the trailer and I couldn't open the door enough to really get way in deep!

Twigworker, Thanks for all the info, too, and the welcome. I've been a wrench for almost 40 years, ( I'm 54 ) but never had a British until now cuz my 16 year old wanted it!! I'm sure I'll have questions, thanks for the offer to ask 'em!

Thanks to everybody that replied.

BTW, I'm near Myrtle Beach, SC

jdeluke137 Wrote:
Quote: Picture of knob from a 76B.

Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada   can
1961 MG MGA

Well, if you're new to LBCs, you'd better have a Shop Manual!

http://www.bmcno.org/tech%20tips/techtip.htm#DL_LIBRARY
sailadams Avatar
Larry Adams
Atlanta, GA, USA   usa

And if you're near Myrtle Beach, all of us Carolina and Georgia folks will be coming by soon. So... what was that address again? Welcome! I'm just recently arrived myself. You will not find a more supportive or friendly group than this one. -Larry

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG