Please Sign In or Register to Search

Sun Visor installation help

Posted by tedjr 
tedjr Avatar
Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, Ohio, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"
1974 MG MGB GT "The Orphan"

OK, I know the large majority of you take the visors off. Ruby came with a set, but were not attached and I do like them off when on the road. But, I’d like to put them on when I go to the car show this weekend, as I believe it’s good to show a car as complete as possible.
My dilemma is: HOW do you attach them securely to the pivot bracket? First, there is slop where shaft fits in the pivot bracket and second, the threaded screw is not long enough to get a nut on (see photos). Vicky Brit even shows a clip washer and a spring washer and then the nut. No way is that going to happen.
Any advice?
Also the rivets on one pivot bracket are a bit loose, is there a way to tighten them with out drilling them out and replacing them, I don’t own a rivet gun.

(click on photo to enlarge/hosted offsite)

ted

1974 MGB "Ruby"
Ruby Photos
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

Like mammary glands on a boar hog. Just ditch them, remove the riveted brackets, fill the holes with JB Weld and smooth with a Dremel tool.

Jack

Jacks Cars - Services To Interesting British Automobiles Over 40 years of caring and capable services to British cars and their owners. For help or advice please call 828-295-0224, email to jackscars@charter.net or go to www.jackscars.net.
robgeskey Avatar
Rob Geskey
Streamwood, Illinois, USA   usa

Ted,

I have a set of new visors that will not fit either and never did mount them, but I do put them and angle them up for wind deflectors at times. Of course the only thing really holding them on is the clip and the too short threaded rod just sitting in the hole. I always thought of boring them out a bit to get a nut on them, but I always seem to take them off when top up driving. They cut down the already short view through the windshield!

Jack... Not sure you want to tell that to a bore hog. Haha The last time I met a wild one was in a forest in Berlin, Germany it chased me up a tree. The darn thing just stayed there for about a half an hour before it left. Sure are nasty creatures to tangle with. I wish I had an M16 with me back then.

Cheers,

Rob

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

Ralph Yingling Avatar
Monroe, WA, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB "Molly"

I do the same as Rob. Drop them in the outside bracket and clip to the inside bracket, no nuts or washers This works for shows and at 65 mph. I take them off for town driving so I can see the lights................

Ralph
'73, SUPERCHARGED! tubeless wire wheels, OD, Advaced Dist. recurved dist. w/Pertronix, de- smogged, ANSA
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
GILMGA Avatar
Gil Dupre
Chattanooga, TN, USA   usa
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT

My GT has visors but they are as limp and honey. The fome is gone inside. I may try to put piece of plastic inside to stiffen them up. Outside looks good and they work fine

Gil
tedjr Avatar
Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, Ohio, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"

OK,

I'll just set them temporarily in without securing them for the show.
Thanks guys.

But it still begs the question as to how do they really secure in the pivot posts? Anybody out there use them and have them installed properly?

ted

1974 MGB "Ruby"
Ruby Photos
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR
jdeluke137 Avatar
John English
Jefferson, Georgia, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB

My wife gave me a set to replace the nasty ones that were on the car. I used a small socket on a driver handle with a small nut inside it as a spacer so the nut that fit on the visor would be flush with the end of the socket. Then I very carefully insert the socket into the hole in the pivot post, insert the visor threaded end from the top, and turned the driver. It took a couple of times to get things aligned properly, but eventually I was able to tighten them down.

John English
1976 MGB
HIF44 carb on late manifold, Schlemmerized 45D w/Pertronix, Limey's relay kit, solid state voltage stabilizer.

Luke 1:37
bdev Avatar
Bruno DeVuono
Washingtonville, Orange County NY, USA   usa

Without going into my garage and removing a nut from my set of visors, I believe the "correct" nut has a round collar that fits into the round recess. When screwed onto the visors threaded section, it "seats" itself between the threaded rod and the housing. I'm going by memory so I'm not positive. Before the night's out, I'll probably head out to the garage and snap a pic. I'm too curious now.

1971 MGB New Racing Green - Dayton Chrome Wires 72 spoke; General Altimax RT 175/70/14; Pertronix; audiovox cruise control; Moto-Lita 15" wood wheel; Limey relays for headlights, high beams and horn; factory hard top; Clark & Clark seat belt guide clips, upgraded alternator.

1970 Australian Morris Mini 1100 (Mini K) with Cooper upgrades - 1275s engine; dual gas tanks; fender flares; ROH Contesta alloy wheels; oil cooler; front disc brakes; brake booster.

2005 Scion TC - daily driver

2005 Toyota Sienna - my wife's ride, and mine when I need to go to Home Depot.
bdev Avatar
Bruno DeVuono

Here's two pics of the visor nut.

1971 MGB New Racing Green - Dayton Chrome Wires 72 spoke; General Altimax RT 175/70/14; Pertronix; audiovox cruise control; Moto-Lita 15" wood wheel; Limey relays for headlights, high beams and horn; factory hard top; Clark & Clark seat belt guide clips, upgraded alternator.

1970 Australian Morris Mini 1100 (Mini K) with Cooper upgrades - 1275s engine; dual gas tanks; fender flares; ROH Contesta alloy wheels; oil cooler; front disc brakes; brake booster.

Attachments:
visor nut 1.JPG (72.1 KB) –
visor nut 1.JPG

visor nut 2.JPG (61.8 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
tedjr Avatar
Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, Ohio, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"

Bruno,

I was thinking the same thing. I makes more sense for the fastener to take up the slop in the fitting and secure it. Where would you find such an animal?

ted

1974 MGB "Ruby"
Ruby Photos
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR
bdev Avatar
Bruno DeVuono

You can actually make one by finding a long nut and grinding it round on its top half.

tedjr Avatar
Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, Ohio, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"

Thanks, I may give it a try. Now to find a long #10/32 thread nut.

1974 MGB "Ruby"
Ruby Photos
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 10:30PM by tedjr.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save