Please Sign In or Register to Search

Oil Pan

Posted by MGB FOR ME 
Oil Pan
MGB FOR ME Avatar
Tony Owen
Victoria, BC, Canada   can
1969 MG MGB

One of the things on my list for the new motor that I am building...just waiting to get the block back from being boiled out and Magnafluxed...the head needed a couple of valves and a new seat...once I get the block back I am going to be ordering up some parts from Hap.

Until then I was going to build the deep sump with baffle as laid out in the MGB special tuning book...but then I thought if anyone might have one stuck away in the back of the garage maybe it could be recycled with a few scheckles to cover the bits on my bottom end.

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
oilpan1web.jpg (29.3 KB) –
oilpan1web.jpg

danc Avatar
Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

"recycled with a few scheckles to cover the bits on my bottom end."

I'm completely lost. "What is a sheckle"

1971 MGB
1967 MGB GT
Steve64B Avatar
Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB

Dan is obviously a Gentile!

Tony, it might be a good idea to rethink the deepend oil pan. It will extend below your front cross member and become the lowest point on the car. It's not a good idea for that to happen!

Check will Basil, he has pans that offer added capacity, a baffle and standard height.

Steve
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
twentyover Avatar
Greg Fast
Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   usa

Shekel- coin in ancient Judea. Don'tknow about contemprary

"recycled with a few scheckles to cover the bits on my bottom end." = "sell me that suitably modified oil pan"

Ran the deepened pans for a while- never had a poblem, but we were racing at desert tracks (Willow Springs, Phoenix, and the club track at Las Vegas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 12:58AM by twentyover.
MGST Avatar
Andrew Metford
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   aus

I have a sump modified as per the book on my race engine, and as Steve says, it hangs down below the front crossmember. I was doing a tarmac road rally, and flew over a bridge which was built a bit like a table-top on a BMX track. It was pretty gentle and low angle, didn't seem to hit the fibreglass front spoiler on the road but surely must have scraped it, and I don't know if the suspension bottomed out on landing ( the car was lowered about 1 1/2" - 2" ), but there were scrape marks on the bottom of the sump afterwards!
Having said all that, if it was me and the car is standard ride height I wouldn't worry about it hanging down. Then again, if the engine is standard, why do you think you need the extra oil capacity? With that sump and a 13 row oil cooler, my racecar takes 6 litres of oil, 50% extra every oil change. If you take it to trackdays a lot, then sure it is worth it, but if it hardly ever sees the track, I wouldn't bother - oil isn't getting any cheaper!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 01:45AM by MGST.

Attachments:
DSC00738.JPG (36.2 KB) –
DSC00738.JPG

Steve64B Avatar
Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   usa
1966 MG MGB

Andrew... that story sounds so familiar! Road rally, desert wash dip, loud bang and scraping noise. Bottom contour of the pan as never the same.

If you're on a track with a smooth surface, not a problem, but if you're on the street with all the bump, ridges and dips... than long is better than deep.

Besides, to do the deep pan you'll also have to fabricate an extension between he oil pump and strainer to match the added depth of the new pan. Not hard, just one more element.

Steve
MGST Avatar
Andrew Metford

That's right Steve, I had forgotten about the spacer for the strainer.

The bottom of my sump was still flat afterwards, but the gouges were about 1mm deep ( 0.040" ).
MGB FOR ME Avatar
Tony Owen
1969 MG MGB

MGST Wrote:
Quote: Having said all that, if it was me and the car is standard ride height I wouldn't worry about it hanging down. Then again, if the engine is standard, why do you think you need the extra oil capacity? With that sump and a 13 row oil cooler, my racecar takes 6 litres of oil, 50% extra every oil change. If you take it to trackdays a lot, then sure it is worth it, but if it hardly ever sees the track, I wouldn't bother - oil isn't getting any cheaper!!

I am taking my driver training this coming April so I can join my brother out on the track...with the vintage up here we would be involved in 6 race season plus a couple of others here in BC...if I go into the states for a few I would be seeing about 12 times out on the track which is a long enough season for me...

Yes it will stick down some but...the main problem with the "B" is it likes to fling the oil up the inside of the pan and cause oil starvation...the first races at Sebring they all spun bearings cause of that...so it really is not about extra capacity...thats easy like you mention!

The deeper sump with the pump/strainer extaension keeps the pick up deep in the oil...with all the $$$ that I am going to spend with Hap, I really want to keep the motor well oiled.

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

Call if you'd like to talk. I have them made with baffles and swinging doors and added capacity and a windage tray...at the standard depth. But the shekels are not few.
Basil
basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
MGB FOR ME Avatar
Tony Owen
1969 MG MGB

Basil Adams Wrote:
Quote: Call if you'd like to talk. I have them made with baffles and swinging doors and added capacity and a windage tray...at the standard depth. But the shekels are not few.
Basil

Thanks Basil...yes I am sure the shekels would not be few...I have one that a local racer made up for some track racing in the early 70's...it is rather crude but it would work. Make that really crude, would be a more exact term for this one. I think I could do a lot betta...he actually made the 1" spacer/filler strip rather wobbley of a cut...grandson could do betta.

Looking at it I think a better solution would be to get a second pan just cut it to the total I am looking for then just have one welded joint...I have access to quite a few old oil pans...enough to redo a few times over!

Just as an aside we have a couple of overpass exits nearby that takes you 360degrees and if you want ...at a great load of knots...you can have fun with it and with a grass runoff you can try your drifting skills...now we are not talking very fast probably under 60MPH...the reason for this mention...one day with the oil needing an oil change the level was just under low on the stick...but low enough the G's on this corner saw the oil pressure to drop really fast as the oil inlet became uncovered.

Going through my British Leyland parts book for something else I found two deep factory special tuning pans...check out the lowest one on the page...talk about a ground scraper! ...they both have part numbers...so somewhere out there they/it are mouldering away in an old box...

Attachments:
pan3web.jpg (33.3 KB) –
pan3web.jpg

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

If you want pix, email me privately. Basil basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
MGST Avatar
Andrew Metford

Tony, if you are going to be doing that amount of track work, then you are on the right track and I would definately recommend the sump mods. I don't have swinging doors and extra baffles like Basil, only what you have in the picture in your opening post, and I have never had a problem. Like you say the easiest way is to use 2 sumps cut in the right places to make 1 deep sump. Swinging doors and extra baffles add to the "insurance factor", but unfortunately also to the cost.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG