AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB 1976 Avatar
MGB 1976 Silver Member Mark Turechek
North of Boston, MA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "The Never Ending Project"
Any suggestions on a color / manufacturer for the silver on rostyle wheels? I have a chip and chart from TCI Powder Coatings www.ticpowder.com and I think Wheel Silver 9811-0110 looks like a pretty good match, but not exactly original. It will need a clear coat after application of the silver.

Also, what about the black - any suggestions on color / manufacturer, spray can or other?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
comart45 Avatar
comart45 Peter Cummins
Lansing,MI, USA   USA
Black spray can unless you have a paint spray setup. Silver spray can any aluminum color, it will turn to the gray side anyway after to clearcoat (with clearcoat spray can). You can get the painting template from Moss Motors. You can tell I'm not a purist when it comes to the MGB. Mine is a daily driver. I try to be correct when I can but I like to modify also. It's your car and there is no contract that was signed that you should obsess over factory original. I had a friend in West Palm Beach that took weeks to decide what color blue he should paint the washer bottle bracket in the engine compartment . Myself and others told him to paint it black. He didn't win any trophy at the shows. His car was Burgundy in color and was beautiful but he also wouldn't drive it in the rain. That's no fun. I'm not criticising you, I see that you are new to the forum. Some people when they start out are intimidated by the factory correct people. That's when I get e-mails for advice so their question won't be made public. Have fun with it is what I'm trying to say.

Bryanm362 Avatar
Bryanm362 Bryan Matthews
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA

Mark,

I plan on powder coating mine as well, at least the silver base coat.

I have used Eastwoods 2 stage chrome (Base and Clearcoat) and it looks like it wood be a good match. Maybe a little more silvery, but a very glossy.

My plan is to then mask it, rough up the clear powder coat, and then use an auto motive single stage gloss black.

Rattle can spray paint just doesn't seem as hard and durable as either powder coating or true automotive paints.

Bryan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dfuehrer Avatar
dfuehrer Donald Fuehrer
Rochester, MN, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
I have had good luck with rattle can gloss black on my wheels, and I drive my car ALOT. Much more than I would ever admit to my insurance guy, infact!

1979 MGB Roadster - a work in progress
My web site:
http://www.citlink.net/citlink/d/dfuehrer/Index.html

Attachments:
IMG00001.JPG    54.5 KB
IMG00001.JPG

t7389sg Avatar
t7389sg Steve Greer
MD, USA   USA
1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto
1976 MG MGB "Shasta"
Not to highjack this thread but I am restoring my Rostyle’s at this moment and I used Moss silver on the first one and it is not even close to the silver on the other 3 wheels. It is more gray than silver. Anybody know a better color to use?

lbcnut Avatar
lbcnut James Woolf
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
Paint them lime green. It'll add 3 hp per wheel.

BrokenheartStudio Avatar
BrokenheartStudio Rusty Koester
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
http://www.columbiacoatings.com/index.htm

These guys have better prices than most and you can buy in increments less than a pound.

Strapping Lad Suspension
https://sites.google.com/site/strappingladshop/home
"...Fate's a fiddler, Life's a dance."

mgb4tim Avatar
mgb4tim Tim N
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"
Didn't Duplicolor have a spray bomb color for an 80's Ford Fairmont that matched the silver really well?

~Tim

morSpeedPerformance@gmail.com

MG Murray Avatar
MG Murray Monte Murray
Folsom Louisiana, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Mark,

FWIW Here's a photo of a rostyle I did in Eastwoods Single Stage Chrome. It was just an experiment when I first started fooling around with powder coating, so I never did the black.

Monte

Only Roadster Owners and Bikers Know Why a Dog Rides With His Head Out Of The Window :beer:

Attachments:
rostyle.jpg    32.4 KB
rostyle.jpg

BrokenheartStudio Avatar
BrokenheartStudio Rusty Koester
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Monte, That has real nice shine! I like it!

Strapping Lad Suspension
https://sites.google.com/site/strappingladshop/home
"...Fate's a fiddler, Life's a dance."

MG Murray Avatar
MG Murray Monte Murray
Folsom Louisiana, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
Actually Rusty the picture does not do it justice. The single stage chrome by eastwood gives a great finish & it is easy. And NO I do not work for Eastwood. smiling smiley The Intake I did shows it off a little better.

Mark, If you want more of a Chrome finish you might want to try it.

Monte

Only Roadster Owners and Bikers Know Why a Dog Rides With His Head Out Of The Window :beer:

Attachments:
untitled2.JPG    32.2 KB
untitled2.JPG

dwengdahl Avatar
dwengdahl David Engdahl
Henrietta, NY, USA   USA
Mark - The code you need for the powder coat silver is PPG #DAR2593. It is a Ford Silver. For the Black I used SEM Gloss Black rattle can that I purchased through my local automotive paint supplier. Before you do that though, contact Tim Delony on this forum for a set of die cut paint masks. He also sells them on EBay. Contact him at:
mgluver@spamex.com

Dave E.
1972 MGB GT RED
"Every path has a few puddles"

Attachments:
RoStyle Restoration_00.jpg    55.4 KB
RoStyle Restoration_00.jpg

100_0654.jpg    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
David Willey Avatar
Johnstown, PA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Emily"
Emily, my MGB, is being refinished and I was thinking of having her wheels powder coated in grey and then painting the parts that are usually black, the deep red that the body is being painted with. Does anyone have pictures of rostyle wheels in grey/silver and body color paint? I have not done this yet and all suggestions are welcome, thank you,
cheers,
David

Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm currently selling my powder coated Rostyles with tires (5).

Aside from giving my "for sale" thread a shameless mention, there are some pics here that show how I powder coated the silver, black and clear. You can't do it for the price I'm selling these at.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?42,3676623

Brad

PS. I have an interested member, but it will involve shipping and he may yet choke on the shipping cost!

David Willey Avatar
Johnstown, PA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Emily"
Thank you, they are beautiful wheels, at a nice price, but way too far away unfortunately. I hope mine turn out that well; my local powder coater will be seeing your pictures,
cheers,
David

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster