MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Temperature Gauge Repair

Posted by oreo 
Andrew Chia
Singapore, Singapore   sgp
1964 MG MGB

Hi

Has anyone attempted a repair or refill of the ether in the mechanical gauge before? Is there any other substitute to ether that one can use?

Andrew

1964 Roadster
Singapore

RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

Uh-uh. Gotta buy a replacement.

Actually, I've heard there's someplace you can send them to be repaird (Nisonger or APT in the States?) but it's cheaper to buy another.

R.

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien

twigworker Avatar
Jack Austin
Blowing Rock, NC, USA   usa

As I understand it the deed can be done, but unless your time is worth less than a dime an hour it will probably pay you to have someone like Nosinger or Smiths do the repairs.

Jack

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Paul J Avatar
Paul Jennings
Locust Grove, ok, USA   usa

If you have an original and want it to look original, send it out! As Jack says, Nosinger or Smiths. Otherwise buy a new one. You'll be happy you did! JMHO. PJ

Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada   can
1961 MG MGA

I beg to differ. I've never actually tried it myself, but it sounds do-able.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

And one of these days I might try this (as a long Winter nights project) on a spare MGA dash:-

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/woodgrain

RSS Avatar
RSS Gold Member
R SS
Virginia, USA   usa

I'll be.... That's a good link, Derek.

Andrew - go for it. winking smiley

R.

Congress is proposing a bill that would give President Obama a kill switch that he could use to freeze all activity on the Internet if there were a national emergency. The kill switch goes by the top-secret name Microsoft Windows. –Conan O'Brien

Andrew Chia
Singapore, Singapore   sgp
1964 MG MGB

Hi guys

Its not for my MG. It actually for a friends 57 Ponton and no one in my neck of the woods to do this job. The capillary tube is really small. I read the link posted by Derek but its almost impossible on this size of tubing. (the OD is about 2mm). It seems to filled at the bulb and sealed with solder. I was thinking breaking a hole in the solder, dip it in the "liquid" and alternately heating and cooling the bourdon tube at the gauge end to suck in the liquid and then solder it shut. Sounds reasonable?

Andrew

1964 Roadster
Singapore

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG