MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

oil leak

Posted by meh129 
meh129 Avatar
Mike Hejducek
Houston, USA   usa

Well, I just got back my 80b with the new supercharger and it is like night and day driving it. The car can keep up with anyone. I did however notice some oil on the floor of my garage the next morning after I drove it that night and being a mgb you expect some but then drove it a little way again and notice oil again. I looked under the car and noticed that the oil is dripping from the center of the cross member. I dont see any oil coming from the valve cover, or the behind the heat shield by the sc.
If anyone as any ideas I would appreciate it...or should I worry about it at all. Thanks
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Jon Zaremba Avatar
Victorville, CA, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB "Brian"

Tappet covers? That's where mine leaks and trickles down to the cross member.

Jon Zaremba

andrew240 Avatar
Andrew Herr
Missouri, USA   usa

Mike, I would give you engine a good cleaning, and then see if you can trace where your leak is coming from. My money is on the two tappet covers. If you have a double-jointed monkey wrist, you can get behind the exhaust manifold, and tighten them a little with a box wrench.

When I put the supercharger on my 73 B, I didn't notice any new oil leaks, so until you give it a good bath and THEN start looking for a leak, I wouldn't connect the oil leak with the supercharger!
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
magohn Avatar
John H
Woodinville, WA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB

andrew240 Wrote:
Quote: Mike, I would give you engine a good cleaning, and then see if you can trace where your leak is coming from. My money is on the two tappet covers. If you have a double-jointed monkey wrist, you can get behind the exhaust manifold, and tighten them a little with a box wrench.
When I put the supercharger on my 73 B, I didn't notice any new oil leaks, so until you give it a good bath and THEN start looking for a leak, I wouldn't connect the oil leak with the supercharger!

Great advice. I had a nasty oil leak and using a pressure washer I blasted the oil from the engine. After that it was obvious where the oil was originating from (tappet cover for me). The clean engine just takes all the guess work out of the scenario.

Thanks, John
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

If you decide to check your tappet covers, take the front one off, take it to someone who can drill a big hole in it (maybe 1.5"winking smiley and weld a huge vent tube in it. A piece of tailpipe with a 90 degree bend works well. Point the opening up and forward. But a breather/filter to go over the end of it - the kind that you can press on and tighten with a hose clamp - Moroso makes them. If any of your oil leak was caused by the blower installation, you've now vented the bottom end enough that you're not pressurizing it.

The problem may be tappet covers but with your set up, I'd look at the timing cover too - of course after checking all the lines to/from your oil cooler. Best of luck.

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
James Bondo Avatar
Riding shotgun in a tow truck, USA   usa

Whooo Hoooo!

Oil leaks and Superchargers! It don't get much better.

Ain't no MG garage or parking stall complete without a nice layer o kitty litter every once in a while to soak up the leavings.

Now, this is prolly your tappet covers , valve cover, or your rear main seal.

My vote is fer tappet covers. You ain't gonna see em leakin unless the car has been runnin. Also, what they leak gets to run all over the place and you get to get all Sherlock Holmes like in tracing back to the point o origin. Moving cars and fan blades get that oil runnin all sorts o places.

So clean it up real good or at the very least wipe the suspect areas down so there ain't no pools o oil sittin on the block or oil pan etc. You need to get tready to be lookin fer fresh stuff.

If you want to be really thorough, pressure wash and degrease the engine and then when shes dry, douse her with talc powder all over her suspect leaky nether regions. The talc will show the trail o oil once she starts gushin.

Tappet cover leaks are funky, some times a little, sometimes a lot from the same place.

Check the valve cover too. real common fer them to be leakin off the back side and down the back o the block and out to the bell housing and cross member. That's an easy fix.

Tappet covers can run much the same. Quite a bit more wrist wrangling is involved in putting them right though.

If you can eliminate them two areas, best to be looking fer the drain hole in the bell housing. Should be a little cotter pin thingy hangin on down from a small hole in the bell housing. If yer rear seal is leakin, this is where it gets to dumpin. The hole is there so the fluid don't get built up and affectin the clutch.

Man if it is yer tappet covers, you got yer work cut out gettin round that supercharger.

Stock up on Johnny Cat. Yeee Haaaw!

Wow, a supercharger in a later B. Bet she just zips along now!

Hope you get it worked out.

meh129 Avatar
Mike Hejducek
Houston, USA   usa

I cleaned the engine and spayed brake cleaner around the tappet covers as best I could, also check and wiped down all other possible area that were mentioned. It is raining here in Houston and the sleet in heading here tomorrow so hopefully I can take it out later this week. I did notice (in the little area that I could see) oil around the tappet cover near the front of the engine...can even see the one near the back.
Will take all your advice see what happens. Thanks
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

Ooops! I hope that was non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Otherwise you might need to replace thoose tappet cover gaskets. Sorry to be the bearer os potentially bad news.

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
neely Avatar
Gary Neely
Heber Springs, Arkansas, USA   usa

Keep a pretty good check on the oil level. Put a piece of cardboard ( I use good carpet about the dimensions of the car) under the car. Did your oil pressure change any at speed? Just curious.

Gary Neely
Heber Springs, AR.
73 B, OD
Su, HIFs, Pertronix
Schlemmerized
+.040, Crane 270
Alum Head, P&P
meh129 Avatar
Mike Hejducek
Houston, USA   usa

The brake cleaner was spayed mostly on the block and away from the covers..I wipe those by hand as best I could...I havent been able to take it for a drive since I drove it back from the mechanic because of the nasty weather we been having here in houston. I will follow up once I am able to drive it.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG