Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Lowered Cross member to remove oil pan! Piece of Cake

Posted by danc 
danc Avatar
Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

I had to replace the oil pan gasket and thought i would lower the front suspension instead of loosening the motor mounts. Piece of cake! I will do this all the time in the future. It gave me at least 2 inches of space to get to the front bolts and there was no problem returning it to the original location. It's sort of scary the whole front end is held on with only 4 bolts.

1971 MGB
1967 MGB GT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 01:30AM by danc.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
vmaxwell71 Avatar
Vic Auletta
Annapolis, Maryland, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Brooklyn"

Thanks for the tip. I may need to replace the gasket on my car in the near future and this seems to make my decision a bit easier......Vic
GILMGA Avatar
Gil Dupre
Chattanooga, TN, USA   usa
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT

I may have to remove cross member to clean and paint it. I think ill strip the suspension first. I wondered if it could be done with engine installed.

Gil
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Tom Bedenbaugh Avatar
Memphis,Tn, USA   usa

If you use a 1/4" drive wobble socket with an extention the front bolts aren't difficult to remove and replace with the crossmember in place.

http://www.importandsports.com/
danc Avatar
Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

yes, I have gone that route but this way was much easier to get the bollts started with 2 fingers.

1971 MGB
1967 MGB GT
mgb4tim Avatar
Tim Nagy
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"

I took mine out to rebuild,and ended up taking the whole darn car apart. BE CAREFUL!!

~Tim

tim@morSpeedPerformance.com

danc Avatar
Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

I Knew that could happen so I only lowered it a few inches. Its very tempting to remove it and service it.

1971 MGB
1967 MGB GT
71EmmaG Avatar
Bryan Kearse
Raleigh, N.C., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "EmmaG"

Good to hear this went smooth for you, Dan. I did this when I replaced rod bearings and it was much easier than unbolting the engine.

EmmaG - 1971 MGB with O/D - British Racing Green
Family member since 1984.
Engine Mods - Kent mild race cam, P&P'd non-smog head with SS valves, Balanced bottom end with +0.030 deep-dish pistons, Crane XR-3000 with PS-91 Coil, Fiesta alternator, HS4s with K&N filters and ported intake, 2" exhaust with ported stock manifold.
Suspension - Stock Levers all around, 14" Minators, 195/70-R14 BFGoodrich Traction T/A - H-rated.

Dad's Ride - 1962 TR4 - Viper Red
3 year restoration completed in 1998.
Engine Mods - Balanced motor with 87mm Piston Kit, Mallory dual-point dizzy, Monza sport exhaust.
Suspension - Koni shocks - Front, Stock levers - Rear, 15" Minators, 195/65-R15 Michelin X-one - H-rated.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG