Please Sign In or Register to Search

Heat Shield Material

Posted by fleshy1 
fleshy1 Avatar
Eric Triplett
Monrovia, CA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB
2005 Audi S4 Avant "The Sled"

I'm refurbishing a set of HIF-4s for my dual carb conversion. I have an old heat shield that I'm also cleaning and painting. One of the heat reflective pads on the back side is gone and the other was barely hanging on. What should I replace the material with? Can I buy it at my local hardware store?

Thanks!

Eric Triplett
"Electronic ignition, the greatest thing that ever happened to carburetors."

1968 High Compression Engine, Dual SU HIF-4 Conversion, Peco Header and Exhaust, Pertronix LU-147, MSD Blaster 2 Coil. Advanced Distributors Re-Cruve 45DM

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
alfred, Maine, USA   usa

Someone here has made up these pads and they look good. I think it is projectMGB"??

The old pads are asbestos and NLA. Worth a search here.

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

Mike Sumner
Graham NC, USA   usa

Eric has the material. He's on the forum as ProjectMGB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2006 10:16AM by showroomgarage.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
fleshy1 Avatar
Eric Triplett
Monrovia, CA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB
2005 Audi S4 Avant "The Sled"

Eric, seems to be MIA, hasn't posted since August and his website talks about the material but is short on details of the manufacturer, or name of the product. I'll send a PM to see if he's still around.

Eric Triplett
"Electronic ignition, the greatest thing that ever happened to carburetors."

1968 High Compression Engine, Dual SU HIF-4 Conversion, Peco Header and Exhaust, Pertronix LU-147, MSD Blaster 2 Coil. Advanced Distributors Re-Cruve 45DM

cfrench Avatar
Carl W. French
alfred, Maine, USA   usa

Here is the thread;
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?42,341076,341632,report=1

Carl W. French
Alfred, Maine
Southern Maine LBC welfare shelter
67B will be in our will
73BGT Daily driver
73BGT Wife's car
Many more that change often

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/leylandauto/

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB "The Biscuit"

The new B Hive/Moss ones come with two strips of header wrap riveted on them.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for MGB/TR6
dwengdahl Avatar
David Engdahl
Henrietta, NY, USA   usa

Eric - I believe that Eric Sorosiak also sells his heat shield material on Ebay. I was quite pleased with the way the new pads fit (that is my HIF4 heat shield pictured on the May 4 post referenced above). You are lucky if your shield is not cracked. I had to have mine welded.

Dave E.
1972 MGB GT RED
"Every path has a few puddles"
David Allen
Maine, USA   usa

Hi : I've had this problem before and used a thick nomex/fiberglass tape made for wrapping
exhaust pipes. I found rivets with big heads at a hardware store to secure the
tape.

Dave '79 MGB
John D. Weimer Avatar
Cape Girardeau, MO, USA   usa

This works and can be cut to any shape.

The stuff is Fel-Pro "Fel Ramic". I think it's ceramic fibers with a metal backing and it looks sort of like exhaust manifold gasket material. P/N 3009, A 12" X 28 1/2" sheet 3/64" thick. There are other thicknesses shown in the catalog and they are all four didget numbers beginning with 300.

71EmmaG Avatar
Bryan Kearse
Raleigh, N.C., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "EmmaG"

I used two layers of adhesive-backed air duct insulation wrap you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. I then used a top layer of High-Heat Copper Silicone and Heavy-Duty aluminum foil. I ran each layer completely across the the back of the shield. Thus, the heat transfer is spreadout more evenly and there are no hot spots across the shield. Plus, you have something to dissipate the heat from the center exhaust branch which is of course hotter due to the siamesed exhaust design.

The result is a much cooler shield (verified by IR temp. guage) for very little money. I also attached a piece of the insulating wrap to the underside of the intake manifold cross-tube since it is directly above the center manifold branch. Anything to keep the intake temp. lower...

EmmaG - 1971 MGB with O/D - British Racing Green
Family member since 1984.
Engine Mods - Kent mild race cam, P&P'd non-smog head with SS valves, Balanced bottom end with +0.030 deep-dish pistons, Crane XR-3000 with PS-91 Coil, Fiesta alternator, HS4s with K&N filters and ported intake, 2" exhaust with ported stock manifold.
Suspension - Stock Levers all around, 14" Minators, 195/70-R14 BFGoodrich Traction T/A - H-rated.

Dad's Ride - 1962 TR4 - Viper Red
3 year restoration completed in 1998.
Engine Mods - Balanced motor with 87mm Piston Kit, Mallory dual-point dizzy, Monza sport exhaust.
Suspension - Koni shocks - Front, Stock levers - Rear, 15" Minators, 195/65-R15 Michelin X-one - H-rated.

dsc
Don dsc
Virginia, USA   usa

Where does one get High-Heat Copper Silicone and Heavy-Duty aluminum foil?
71EmmaG Avatar
Bryan Kearse
Raleigh, N.C., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "EmmaG"

You can get High-Heat Copper gasket sealant at Advance Auto, Napa, etc. It's made by Permatex and is readily available. The heavy duty aluminum foil can be found at any grocery store. HTH! smiling smiley

EmmaG - 1971 MGB with O/D - British Racing Green
Family member since 1984.
Engine Mods - Kent mild race cam, P&P'd non-smog head with SS valves, Balanced bottom end with +0.030 deep-dish pistons, Crane XR-3000 with PS-91 Coil, Fiesta alternator, HS4s with K&N filters and ported intake, 2" exhaust with ported stock manifold.
Suspension - Stock Levers all around, 14" Minators, 195/70-R14 BFGoodrich Traction T/A - H-rated.

Dad's Ride - 1962 TR4 - Viper Red
3 year restoration completed in 1998.
Engine Mods - Balanced motor with 87mm Piston Kit, Mallory dual-point dizzy, Monza sport exhaust.
Suspension - Koni shocks - Front, Stock levers - Rear, 15" Minators, 195/65-R15 Michelin X-one - H-rated.

dsc
Don dsc
Virginia, USA   usa

Oh. Somehow your first description sounded more exotic than that.

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 01:30PM by dsc.
ProjectMGB Avatar
Eric S
Dayton, Ohio, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

As a few members have already stated, I have replacement insulation available for both HS4 and HIF4 setups. The ceramic-based insulation is very similar to the original insulation in thickness and color. Also, the brass rivets that I include with the HS4 sets are nearly identical to those originally on my heat shield.

I have details at:

http://www.geocities.com/project_mgb/heat_shield.html

Unfortunately, this link often doesn't work if several people have tried to access the website within a short period of time (the free Geocities site has a data transfer limit). However, you can check out the MGBE post:

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?42,341076

or email me with any questions at project_mgb@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Eric

1967 MGB roadster (restoration in progress)
1984 Mazda RX-7 (daily driver)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 04:58PM by ProjectMGB.

Attachments:
insulation_3.jpg (23.6 KB) –
insulation_3.jpg

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG