Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Balancing wire wheels

Posted by Little Blue 
Little Blue Avatar
Ed Fairbanks
Jacksonville, FL, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB

I finally found a shop that will mount and balance my wire wheels. Is it more expensive to have wire wheels balanced compared to regular wheels?

Ed

'74 MGB

"...it's not a hobby, it's an obsession."
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Paul Hanley
San Antonio, Texas, USA   usa
1979 MG MGB

I had the hardest time finding anybody to mount tires on my wire wheels. when I found a place to do it finally, I was never really satisfied with the balancing. I would like to find somebody to true, mount and balance my wires, but I am afraid I am going to have to learn to do it for myself.

Paul

....my Great Dane won't fit in my car with the top up....

cunhab Avatar
Bruce Cunha
Marshfield, Wisconsin, USA   usa
1950 MG TD
1997 MG MGB GT

You would think that Dayton or Dunlop would sell the cone so that the wire rims could be correctly balanced on the new spin balancers.

One suggestion is to try and see if you can find a shop that can balance them on the car. Used to be a common thing to have done, but don't know if many still do it.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
max71 Avatar
Gary Alpern
Portland, OR, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Max"

Ed. I strongly suggest you find someone who can TRUE the wires not just balance them and then call around to find someone who will balance the fronts on the car.
berngp Avatar
Bern B
chicago, Illinois, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

Hey Ed, search out a local MG/brit. car club and sometimes they have free service referal lists on their web site. If that don't help try googling sports & classic tires, they do/did wire maint./mount/bal., mail orders. I have it on a note pad from a while back someone asked same question. I have wires too but all's well on mine. Good luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2006 10:53PM by berngp.
orgum Avatar
Robert Vick
Eagleville, Tennessee, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

Try your local motorcycle shops. Some can do it and some cant!

Cheers

Robert

I'm just visiting this planet----------beam me up Scotty there is no semi-intelligent life here!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
CAR.jpg (24.3 KB) –
CAR.jpg

Ken Lessig Avatar
Nevada, Tx., USA   usa

I've found that most of the big tire shops can't do it. I have a friend in the tire business and talked him into getting his old bubble balancer out of storage and back into his shop for MG wire wheels. He does a very good job with it.

Ken Lessig
Limey Avatar
Eric Marshall
Pentwater, Michigan, USA   usa

I gave up and bought a set of center-lock alloy wheels. The difference in ride and handling was amazing and the local tire shop can balance them by taking the hub out of the center.

Eric and Mary
us-marshalls.net
1974 MGB, 1971 Piper Cherokee, 1971 MGBGT
..... and 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2

Member Services:
Headlight relay kits, replacement fuse box kits, headlight alarm, overdrive "reminder", solid state voltage stabilizers and other useful "bits" to help keep your car running at its best.
John Bamford
Colorado, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

What Gary said is the only way to end up with something that really works. That is the problem with painted wires. Tune (including replacing frozen spokes) till circular, re-paint then balance. Wait few years. Do again. Doing it on the car is the best. You may have to look around to find one. Only one or two in our area.

Stainless steel and chrome Dayton wires or center lock alloys will get you past it and expensive only once.

Been there and STILL doing it till I can get the alloys.

JTB

John Bamford
69 B Roadster Pale Primrose Yellow
100K, HS-4 Carbs, Rebuilt Head
Owned for 8 years
Denver, CO
max71 Avatar
Gary Alpern
Portland, OR, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB "Max"

I have been running Daytons for years. I had to get a new set this time because mine had rusted out living near the ocean. One thing unless Dayton got better in the last few months is my wire wheel guy would always show me the Daytons out of the box. They were NOT true. He would always true them up. Whether it came that way or happened in shipping don't think when you get them they're perfectly true.

With true'd wires that are balanced on the car you will not believe how smooth your B will become. Nui rode in Max after I did it and said the car is smoother than her friends brand new Toyota. All vibration is gone. You probably think you have "road feel" through the steering wheel. What you're really feeling is the front end vibrating when you get up to any real speed.
sullivas Avatar
Sam Sullivan
CT, USA   usa

Check out www.hendrixwirewheel.com if you are really serious about getting your wheels right. They have the correct equipment.
For $60 they true the wheel, shave the tire and spin balance.
Costs about $20 bucks UPS to ship each wheel depending on where you live.
It can get expensive.

Maybe someone else on the BBS can attest to their work and results.
By the way, I was told NEW Daytons need truing just like the Indian Dunlops, and also that even though Dayton says 'tubeless' you should always use a tube in any wire wheel.
Steve S Avatar
Lost in the California mountains, USA   usa
1925 Ford Model T
1939 Ford V8
1949 MG TC
1953 MG Y-Type Saloon
1958 MG MGA   → more

The Daytons on my MGA came in perfect order. They didn't need truing or balancing and have not needed anything since the day I bought them. This speaks highly of their quality since they are 48-spoke 15" wheels and I drive them hard.

sullivas Avatar
Sam Sullivan
CT, USA   usa

Steve-
That's what I always heard about the Daytons, just use them out of the box. I was surprised to hear otherwise, since you are paying for that kind of quality.
bobmunch Avatar
Bob Muenchausen
PC, Oregon, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB GT "Traveler"

Even with Daytons, I had to have the wires on my former MGA balanced because of imperfect balance of the tires themselves. In Bozo, Idaho, I had to go to a real genuine wheel and alignment shop where they did an ON THE CAR balance, complete with obsolete equipment (strobe lights, electric spin motor, etc). IF you can find an "old timer" with the right gear and a willingness to deal with it, such a balance method is probably the best I have ever had for wire wheeled cars. It sets the balance for wheel as it is on the car, with no assumptions about how balanced the rest of the axle system is (not that it usually matters). A word to the wise if you are able to get this sort of balance job done ~ mark your wheels and hubs so that you can get the rim back on the axle the way it was balanced.

"All that my contradictory experiences demonstrate, sometimes, is that things and materials don't always follow the course of our commonly accepted thinking about them, but end up sometimes besting our knowledge of them."

SU Carb setup instructions ~ You don't need smog gear to need/use these factory instructions.
>>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgjgbxszv1h22hy/MG%20EMISSIONS%20MANUAL.pdf

MGB GT cutaway car photos can be found here >>> http://www.cibolas7.net/resources/cutaway.htm

A thorough guide to rubber rotary seals as used on your crank, axles, etc >>> http://www.rlhudson.com/Shaft%20Seal%20Book/index.html

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG