Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dwain Avatar
Dwain Dwain Fitzpatrick
Norcross, GA, USA   USA
I have a 1978 MGB that I bought a few months ago. It did not have the plate in the dirvers door post that has the month / year built. I have a new plate but I don't know when it was built.

The vin # is GHN5UJ 459174 G

Is there somewhere that gives month by month vin #'s for our cars? Or do some of you have a number close to this?

I am guessing spring of 1978 but that's just a quess.....

Painting Bumpers In Atlanta

Too many Cars... not enough time...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Try the Moss Motors catalog for a good start.

ddibiase Avatar
ddibiase Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
Dwain, you'd be in the range of Jan - Feb of 1978, per Clausager. Only way to get the exact date is with the BMIHT certificate.

Dan D

Central NJ, USA
'65 B Project
'76 B Driver

http://dans65b.blogspot.com
http://dans76b.blogspot.com
twitter: dandibiase

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jerry Avatar
Jerry Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   USA
you may have bought a mongrel. why is the door plate gone?

Dwain Avatar
Dwain Dwain Fitzpatrick
Norcross, GA, USA   USA
It was mostly disassembled for a "restoration" that got abandoned as they often do. The DPO took off all the trim and the id plates. Got most of the parts but I can't find the plate that goes in the door. I don't know of anywhere else to get the build month. By the vin # I know it was made in 1978 but I don't know the rest.

Painting Bumpers In Atlanta

Too many Cars... not enough time...

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Remember that a lot of cars are actually built late in the previous year. My "1974" was actually built sometime in Nov or Dec of 1973 but labeled '74 on the plate. Maybe they didn't add the plates until they had enough cars done? More likely they were just making them early enough for the next calendar year. Even today, 2007 cars go on sale in autumn or even summer 2006. Auto year dates have always been as much a sales tool as anything.

pipercaptain jerry hauser
great neck, new york, USA   USA
MY VIN IS GHN5UL498188G. IT'S NOW WHITE/BLACK, I'D LIKE TO FIND OUT THE ORIGINAL COLORS AND APPROXIMATE BUILD DATE

danc Avatar
danc Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
1971 MG MGB
If you want the original paint color in writing you will have to get a British Heritage Cert.

Simon Austin Avatar
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

rbrady2 Avatar
rbrady2 Kenneth Brady
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA   USA
I have a 1971 MG I bought while working in the UK. I've shipped it home to Indiana. I've been in a restoration mode for quite some time. I'm getting the feel that the car isn't a 1971. I've been noticing in the Moss and Victoria British catalogs that some of the parts don't match the year. The Vin badge is badly corroded, and the car was last painted it was removed and replaced with aluminium rivets. In the Victoria British catalog the dash is the style of the 1962-1967 on page 38. The same is in the Moss catalog. The antenna hole is on the back rear right corner. Someone told me that the antenna was moved around from year to year.

Any help would be appreciated.

deodra Avatar
deodra Jason Buis
Dale, Indiana, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Lucy"
In reply to # 3468452 by rbrady2 I have a 1971 MG I bought while working in the UK. I've shipped it home to Indiana. I've been in a restoration mode for quite some time. I'm getting the feel that the car isn't a 1971. I've been noticing in the Moss and Victoria British catalogs that some of the parts don't match the year. The Vin badge is badly corroded, and the car was last painted it was removed and replaced with aluminium rivets. In the Victoria British catalog the dash is the style of the 1962-1967 on page 38. The same is in the Moss catalog. The antenna hole is on the back rear right corner. Someone told me that the antenna was moved around from year to year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy! I'm actually running into a few similar issues with my wiring and some hardware. I'm finding that what's in my car is not always matching what parts catalogues say... I've given up on some of the wiring diagrams, as they don't really match (and most of the wiring is OE) what is in my car. I'm just going to be rewiring and building my own circuits and runs and coded accordingly.

1977 B Project

Tee Silver Member Tony W
Norman, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB
Kenneth,
I'm not expert enough to know what applies, but an MGB sold new in England will have differences from ones sold in the U.S. One sold in England is called a "home market" vehicle. I don't know how much in sync the U.S. and Canada were back then about regulations, but I'm guessing all cars destined for North America were the same.

I assume the sequential numbers of the VIN apply to a specific chassis at the factory, regardless of which market it was sent to. I may be wrong about that.

My 1970 is #199990 and my '72 is 280481. What number is yours? I looked at a '71 in a junkyard and it was 215___. That gives you a few data points to maybe narrow it down,.

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Kenneth,

1971 was the last year that the original steel dash was used on home cars. In 1968, the feds stated that new cars had to have certain things. A couple of those things were three point seat belts, and the dash had to be padded. So in 1968, NA received cars with the padded dash and rocker switches, with is entirely different from home cars, or cars destined for other export markets.

As for the radio antenna, those were a dealer installed option. No car left the factory with a radio in it. So, the antenna was placed where the dealer wanted it to be. The radio is also something that the dealer bought in a large quantity. It may have BMC or British Leyand on the face plate, but it was not installed at the factory.

Also, cars often took model year from the date it was first registered. My car was registered in 1967, but was built in 66 to 66 specs. The only exception to this was 68. Any left over 67 cars on dealer's lots after January 1, 1968, were still new cars, but if they did not have the certain things fitted, the feds said they were not 68 cars, and could not be registered as 68 cars.

deodra Avatar
deodra Jason Buis
Dale, Indiana, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Lucy"
In reply to # 3468995 by lgorg Kenneth,

1971 was the last year that the original steel dash was used on home cars. In 1968, the feds stated that new cars had to have certain things. A couple of those things were three point seat belts, and the dash had to be padded. So in 1968, NA received cars with the padded dash and rocker switches, with is entirely different from home cars, or cars destined for other export markets.

As for the radio antenna, those were a dealer installed option. No car left the factory with a radio in it. So, the antenna was placed where the dealer wanted it to be. The radio is also something that the dealer bought in a large quantity. It may have BMC or British Leyand on the face plate, but it was not installed at the factory.

Also, cars often took model year from the date it was first registered. My car was registered in 1967, but was built in 66 to 66 specs. The only exception to this was 68. Any left over 67 cars on dealer's lots after January 1, 1968, were still new cars, but if they did not have the certain things fitted, the feds said they were not 68 cars, and could not be registered as 68 cars.

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

1977 B Project

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster