MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

How can I find my MGB's Build Date

Posted by Dwain 
Dwain Avatar
Dwain Fitzpatrick
Norcross, GA, USA   usa

I have a 1978 MGB that I bought a few months ago. It did not have the plate in the dirvers door post that has the month / year built. I have a new plate but I don't know when it was built.

The vin # is GHN5UJ 459174 G

Is there somewhere that gives month by month vin #'s for our cars? Or do some of you have a number close to this?

I am guessing spring of 1978 but that's just a quess.....

Painting Bumpers In Atlanta

Too many Cars... not enough time...

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Steve S Avatar
Lost in the California mountains, USA   usa
1925 Ford Model T
1939 Ford V8
1949 MG TC
1953 MG Y-Type Saloon
1958 MG MGA   → more

Try the Moss Motors catalog for a good start.

ddibiase Avatar
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB

Dwain, you'd be in the range of Jan - Feb of 1978, per Clausager. Only way to get the exact date is with the BMIHT certificate.

Dan D

Central NJ, USA
'65 B Project
'76 B Driver

http://dans65b.blogspot.com
http://dans76b.blogspot.com
twitter: dandibiase
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Jerry Avatar
Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   usa

you may have bought a mongrel. why is the door plate gone?
Dwain Avatar
Dwain Fitzpatrick
Norcross, GA, USA   usa

It was mostly disassembled for a "restoration" that got abandoned as they often do. The DPO took off all the trim and the id plates. Got most of the parts but I can't find the plate that goes in the door. I don't know of anywhere else to get the build month. By the vin # I know it was made in 1978 but I don't know the rest.

Painting Bumpers In Atlanta

Too many Cars... not enough time...

DrewM Avatar
Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   usa

Remember that a lot of cars are actually built late in the previous year. My "1974" was actually built sometime in Nov or Dec of 1973 but labeled '74 on the plate. Maybe they didn't add the plates until they had enough cars done? More likely they were just making them early enough for the next calendar year. Even today, 2007 cars go on sale in autumn or even summer 2006. Auto year dates have always been as much a sales tool as anything.
jerry hauser
great neck, new york, USA   usa

MY VIN IS GHN5UL498188G. IT'S NOW WHITE/BLACK, I'D LIKE TO FIND OUT THE ORIGINAL COLORS AND APPROXIMATE BUILD DATE
danc Avatar
Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

If you want the original paint color in writing you will have to get a British Heritage Cert.
Simon Austin Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada   can

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save