MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

zenith stromberg carb oil?

Posted by gccch 
Greg Heitman
Chalfont, PA, USA   usa

Hi all,

Quick question (I think). I did a search but didn't find the answer.

I heard the ZS carb needs to be oiled every 3k miles. I don't have a manual. Would someone mind posting the type of oil and anything critcal about topping it off (such as over filling, how much is required, etc.)? The car is running fine but I want to be sure it stays healthy.

Thanks,

Greg
Chalfont, PA
1980 MGB LE
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
1978 MG MGB

I always used Castrol 20/50 when I still had a Zenith on the B...some think that may be too thick. Overfill is generally blown out.

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Pieces Of Eight: Struts For Your MG Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged strut kits for the MGB bonnet, MGB and MGC bootlid, and MGB/GT or MGC/GT hatch since 1996. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
ddibiase Avatar
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB

Yeah, engine oil is fine, as Rick notes. If you overfill it, it will flow out when you put the piston back in.

Dan D

Central NJ, USA
'65 B Project
'76 B Driver

http://dans65b.blogspot.com
http://dans76b.blogspot.com
twitter: dandibiase
locolobo85 Avatar
Brad Batchelor
North Carolina, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "Abbigail"

I use engine oil. The correct amount in the dashpot gives you resistance when re-installing the plunger equal to 0.25" from the top edge of the carb cover to the bottom of the removable plunger. D

If your o-ring in the bottom of the air piston is shot, the oil will leak right past the needle assembly and you will have to top it up often prior to replacing the o-ring.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Greg Heitman
Chalfont, PA, USA   usa

Thanks, guys. The stuff in there now is red like trans fluid.

Greg
Chalfont, PA
1980 MGB LE
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
1978 MG MGB

It probably is...some guys use Automatic Transmission Fluid...or real light weight oil in the hopes of increasing acceleration by decreasing the reistance the oil puts on the piston while being raised under a heavy pedal....

This was a big racer trick...with a Zenith, I don't believe you're going to see a significant increase in performance.

smiling smiley

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Pieces Of Eight: Struts For Your MG Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged strut kits for the MGB bonnet, MGB and MGC bootlid, and MGB/GT or MGC/GT hatch since 1996. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Greg Heitman
Chalfont, PA, USA   usa

Oh, so I can use the left-over trans fluid I have from the Mustang and no worries!

Thanks,

Greg
Chalfont, PA
1980 MGB LE
tylerwatkins Avatar
Tyler Watkins
North Myrtle Beach, SC, USA   usa

You said:
If your o-ring in the bottom of the air piston is shot, the oil will leak right past the needle assembly and you will have to top it up often prior to replacing the o-ring.

I ask:

Is is possible to replace this O Ring??

zeenithman Avatar
Dan Olson
Spokane WA, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

Get the "O" ring in the Moss catalog. I just went thru this on my 75 and you also have to buy their mixture adjusting tool to change the ring. Dan
zeenithman Avatar
Dan Olson
Spokane WA, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB

If you want to read the procedure, refer to my post "Giving back to the forum" you can find this using the search function. Dan
locolobo85 Avatar
Brad Batchelor
North Carolina, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "Abbigail"

Yep, it's pretty easy to replace. Remove the carb cover. Remove the piston. Remove the needle assembly. Then insert the tool of your choice and drive the adjuster and star washer out through the top of the piston. Install the new o-ring and drive it back in making sure to seat it at the very bottom of its travel. Put it all back together, tune it up and enjoy. No more leaking dashpot oil.
philip williams
Oregon, USA   usa

DONT use transmision oil .. use 30w engine oil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 09:28PM by philipE.
feathercraft1952 Avatar
ric boles
kentucky, USA   usa
1974 MG MGB "Junkyard Dog"
1976 MG MGB "Penellope"

i read 20w nd somewhere - works fine for me
ironpony Avatar
Dan Howland
Park Rapids, Minnesota, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "The "G""

My son and his father-in-law, for over 20 years, owned and operated a company that specialized in rebuilding imported carbs. I ask their advice on what oil to use in my ZS carb. They used ATF and over 20 years never encountered any problems caused by this choice of oil. My Driver's Handbook, that came with the car, says to use the same oil as your using in the engine crankcase. I don't think it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference.
Dan

Riverside Point Resort/Motel   – Park Rapids, MN USA Beautiful lodging and great fishing with covered parking for your favorite MG. Member Northern Lights Car Club.
Bob Harper
Jensen Beach, Florida, USA   usa

If you're loosing oil in the ZB will it burn up in the cylinders and show up as bluish white smoke in the exhaust?
Jim Macaulay
Concord Ma., USA   usa

Just to really muddy the water, in one of John Twist's you-tube videos(University Motors Limited), he advocates 85/90w gear oil for a really rich acceleration. I tried this when I had a Z-S carb (now have two SU's) and absolutely zero complaints. Best of luck with whatever fluid you choose, Jim Macaulay

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save