MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Can fix-a-flat type stuff fix a rim leak?

Posted by rbgos 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rbgos Avatar
Richard Gosling
Aberdeenshire, UK   gbr
1973 MG MGB GT "Sammy"

When I got Sammy all her tyres had inner tubes. When I got new tyres fitted all round, the tyre shop just went and dumped all the inner tubes - and surprise surprise, got a rim leak they couldn't fix on a couple of the rims. For some reason I can't remember, but I'm sure it can't have been very good, they didn't seem to think that sticking the inner tubes back on again was a reasonable solution - maybe they'd trashed them when they took them off.

I went to the only place around here likely to have any old Rostyle rims lying around (20th Century Classics) and got the only two rims they had that weren't absolute eyesores (even in my uncritical eyes), and we finally achieved 5 wheels with tyres that would hold air.

Except one of them is now losing air again - I assume it's another rim leak (although to be fair I haven't actually checked yet, but I've done very few miles, so it seems likely).

Anyone successfully dealt with a rim leak using those spray-stuff-in-the-valve type kits that seem to be replacing spare wheels in so many modern cars? Or do they just tend to coat the tread region?

Any other bright ideas? Otherwise I guess I'm either buying a replacement rim from somewhere it will have to be posted (expensive), or trying to find someone in Aberdeen who'll sell me an inner tube.

Thanks, Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

Myself and my family ran a tire store for a long time, I'll take a shot at this. If you don'y see any visable dents in the bead seal area of the wheel, then I would remove the tire from the wheel clean the bead sealing area of the wheel, it could be rusty or corroded. When the tire store re mounts the tire on the wheel request them to use bead sealer, its a black goo the helps to fill voids in the wheels they may cause leak. Have you sprayed the tire with glass cleaner to determine exactly where the leak is coming from?

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
AJM
A J Meachum
Las Vegas, NV, USA   usa

A friend of mine that's been in the tire business for almost 50 years told me to never use fix a flat. He said it will ruin a tire. Something about balance.

greg2536 Avatar
Greg Elliott
Ky., USA   usa

Something else to keep in mind, I have been told by several tire store owners is that "Fix-a-flat" may plug a leek but will also cause the wheel to rust badly inside the tire. I have not had it recomended by any tire repairer or store owner. Just my 2C.
Greg

Greg Elliott
Bowling Green, KY

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mowog1 Avatar
Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "The Green C"
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"

My local Gooyear store charges extra to repair a tire that has been "fix-a-flatted". That tells me something.

1968 MGC - 1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop

AJM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friend of mine that's been in the tire business
> for almost 50 years told me to never use fix a
> flat. He said it will ruin a tire. Something about
> balance.

In the day I repaired quite a few tire with this products inside it, it is a water based glue that dumps 12-20 oz. of liquid in the tire and seals small leaks, it really designed to get you to the tire store for a proper repair, nothing more. With all the liquid inside the tire sloshing around it throws everything out of balance. Tire dealers hate this stuff because it's a big mess to clean up, but it serves it purpose easy enough for the general public. If you have to use, then use it, but it's only a temporary fix to get somewhere to have it repair properly.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

That stuff makes such a mess inside the tire if you ever have o pay someone to do anything with the tire again you will be charged a premium price. Our local tire place ask before taking a job if Fix a flat has been used. If you say yes then they turn down the work. They have enough business I guess or don't want to spend time getting the sticky crap off their tools

Signature removed at Skye's request

rbgos Avatar
Richard Gosling
Aberdeenshire, UK   gbr
1973 MG MGB GT "Sammy"

OK, OK, I get the message - I won't fill my tyre with gloop!

I guess my best option is to see if I can find someone who can supply me an inner tube - it's got to be cheaper than finding a replacement rim, even if that was free the postage would cost too much!

The tyre shop claim they tried several times to get these tyres to seal, so I guess the bead seal approach has already been tried and failed. It could also be around the valve hole, that's another area the tyre shop were having problems with.

Thanks all,

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   usa

I think I'd have the tire removed, clean the rim and repaint. Lot's of times the leaks are caused my rust build up on the sealing surface of the rim preventing the tire from sealing

Signature removed at Skye's request

Michael Fliegel Avatar
Michael M. Fliegel
Birmingham, Alabama, USA   usa

Has any one here considered something simple like a bad valve stem? smiling smiley

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
John Bamford
Colorado, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

If you go the tube route again get one slightly smaller than rim....13 inch tube if 14 inch rim. Keeps them from getting folds/creases which can cause a flat later. I run wires so have to use tubes unless I get the rims sealed.

John Bamford
69 B Roadster Pale Primrose Yellow
100K, HS-4 Carbs, Rebuilt Head
Owned for 8 years
Denver, CO

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop

Gerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I'd have the tire removed, clean the rim
> and repaint. Lot's of times the leaks are caused
> my rust build up on the sealing surface of the rim
> preventing the tire from sealing
>
>
>

I agree 100%

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
John Casparro
Central Ohio, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

I just got new tires myself, I had my mechanic install them because of his experience with wire wheels, he also recommends that new tubes should always be used with your new tires.

Edward Avatar
Edward Whitlock
Georgia, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "Baby Car"

I have seen exactly what fix-a-flat can do when inflating something. My son has this large rubber inflatable ball from Wal-Mart. When playing with it, he got a puncture in it, an it deflated. He was so upset, so I grabbed a can of Fix-a-flat out of the garage, and inlated it back up, sealing the leak. (I did not use a lot, just enough to get it started) The ball inflated somewhat, but there was this pool of liquid inside it, that made the ball wobble when you tossed or rolled it. I would hate to think what this would do inside a tire. smiling smiley

Ed Whitlock
74.5 MGB

The only thing better than driving an MG is driving a Nuclear Powered submarine armed with 154 Tomahawk Missiles!

footster Avatar
Alonzo Foote
Texas, USA   usa
1965 MG MGB
1980 MG MGB

Buddy of mine used the stuff on his mountain bike. Then put the bike in the back of his SUV.

Park in the sun. Very hot day. Tire exploded, lining the back of his vehicle with green goo. I was with him when he discovered it. I had to hold back laughing b/c it wasn't funny to him.

I'll say this for the stuff, it does clean up.

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG