AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

peter8004 Avatar
peter8004 Peter Dhama
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "4th Time"
1973 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB MkIV
I would very much like to know if there are any replacement bulbs out there for my 79 LE. I dont want to change gauges but would like them to be a bit brighter at night time. Any suggestions out there.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I fitted white leds into my gauges and they’re now clearly readable at night. I also fitted leds into the map light, the boot/ cabin interior light and the reversing lights. Significant improvement. I can now see in the cabin at night and also see behind when reversing. A cheap worthwhile upgrade that’s easily reversible if required.

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
LEDs..they come in all sizes and shapes. Available from Ebay (China, Hong Kong and Taiwan mostly), but being in Canada, it will take about 2 months to get your stuff. Canada Post is utterly useless when it comes to shipments from Asia.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Stocked stateside now
You get them in days from several suppliers

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
I ordered my instrument lights from Moss and after taking out the green filter on the back of all the instruments have nice readable gauges.

Love them.

Steve B

Love my MG. The chief mechanic needs serious help but the owner is ok.

Fogliner Avatar
Fogliner Mark Vanherd
Port Clements, BC, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/

I grabbed this link off of a thread a while back.

regards

mark

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Some have expressed concern that some LED replacement bulbs being to bright.

So, try cleaning the existing ones, 39 years of grunge on/in the gauge cans, the lens and the bulbs themselves. You will be surprised.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, NY, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
You can get most led replacements on Amazon if you know the bulb numbers. 2 day delivery with prime!

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

PatrickLewis.net Avatar
PatrickLewis.net Patrick Lewis
Brandon, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Green Monster"
1977 MG MGB
If you do go LED be sure to go all led on that circuit. If you mix regular ones in there, they will draw most of the load and the LEDs will not be bright. I found this out by adding an LED 3rd brake light. It was really dim until I replaced the regular brake lights with LEDs also.

Brandon MG Club
www.PickNHLGames.com
www.PickNFLGames.com
www.PatrickLewis.net

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster