Rear seal done and oil still leaking

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tommyz24 Tom G
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
Now I bought my car in the summer , when I was getting it checked out by my guy he told me the rear main needed to be done. I put a quart every 300miles, it’s not the end of the world but just enough to bother me .
So I’m planning to do the seal.... as I’m looking at the previous owners bills , i see that in 2015 he did the rear main by a local British garage . Do you think that this due to a faulty seal or non use of speedy. Do seals fail often ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
257D6033-23B1-4AA1-B73B-7DE3D434CF8F.jpeg    44.9 KB
257D6033-23B1-4AA1-B73B-7DE3D434CF8F.jpeg

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
The O/E Moss & V.B. seal YES, are JUNK!!! Get a Gayco or the new Phonier seal, just under $20. but are the best. I would get a new ft. seal for the trans. input shaft & if it is showing any sine of oil, change it

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
What Year MGB ???? I cannot read the invoice. ????

Member Services:
tommyz24 Tom G
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
Its a late 66/early 67 car.. mk1

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
You need a speedi sleeve. Call or email. They're in stock and reasonable. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
That explains why mine still leaks. Crank showed no sins of wear.

Where are these avalable from and do you have part numbers?

In reply to # 3680335 by mgv8glen The O/E Moss & V.B. seal YES, are JUNK!!! Get a Gayco or the new Phonier seal, just under $20. but are the best. I would get a new ft. seal for the trans. input shaft & if it is showing any sine of oil, change it

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Before doing the rear seal again (double-)check the PCV system. One never knows whether pressure in the block does not aggreviate this problem of oil loss.
My own oil consumption has risen above yours if driving fast on the French highways (1 litre per 1200km/800 miles, it used to be 1 litre/1000 miles for a long time)

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Tom G
When you have the engine back plate off the necessity will be apparent. When you do as fingernail test and you can feel a ridge left by the seal in the crankshaft time for a sleeve & seal .
These wear sleeves are available and are a SKF part.
Being a fellow Montrealaise winking smiley

PM sent

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 11:14 AM by riley1489.

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Glenn, Did you mean Gaco? I can't find anything close to Phonier, maybe Payen?

In reply to # 3680335 by mgv8glen The O/E Moss & V.B. seal YES, are JUNK!!! Get a Gayco or the new Phonier seal, just under $20. but are the best. I would get a new ft. seal for the trans. input shaft & if it is showing any sine of oil, change it

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
The original seals (even from the factory) were not the best. Moss (and others) do offer uprated seals. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that when a crankshaft is turned (during an engine rebuild), the machinest will often skim a few thousandths off the seal surface to remove any ridge that has developed. Although this cleans up the surface, it also reduces the diameter slightly and a marginal seal may not press against the shaft with sufficient force to seal.

If you suspect your shaft has been turned (on the seal surface), OR there is any hint of wear, roughness, ridge then you need to apply a SpeediSleeve before replacing the seal again. And definitely get the uprated seal, not the standard one.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
I installed a double-edged seal, can't recall the manufacturer name back in 2010 because my crank surface had a line etched in it from the previous original seal that had it on there for over a hundred thousand miles. I had to pull the engine and gearbox out a second time, because I put too much oil in my new overdrive.

Upon doing that I realized and found, that the double-edged seal had torn a little bit and was starting to leak, this was after 5 miles. So, I learned about Speedi-sleeves, and I installed one of those with a standard high quality regular rear main seal. No leaks in 8 years and it's working perfectly. If your crank surface has any kind of line etched in it from the previous seal, I highly recommend you use a speedi sleeve and then a standard high quality rear main seal.

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi,

Regardless, install a speedi sleeve, as well as a new seal. When you push the seal over the speedi sleeve make sure that you have a strip of tape covering the edge of the sleeve, otherwise it will nick the seal and you'll be back at square one. Also the sleeve can be fitted without removing the back plate.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
What is the source and part numbers of the better seals?

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Try Moss 120-821 (120-820 is the standard seal). Frankly, given that Moss now sells the uprated version, I'm not sure why they even stock the old one.

https://mossmotors.com/oil-seal-crank-rear-upgraded

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Crownvicjohn Avatar
Crownvicjohn Silver Member John P
Wolcott, CT, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "The Convertible"
1995 Buick Roadmaster "The Woody"
2011 Ford Crown Victoria "The Vic"
Did my rear main seal last fall and I found that was only half of the leak. The rear plate gasket wasn't installed right. I'm not a fan of a lot of RTV sealant but I put it on that plate gasket when I replaced it. It's just so paper thin , I don't know how it even works. I used the uprated seal and a speedy sleeve. No more leak.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links