AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Can anyone help me here, I need to know what seal works with a Snug Top. Th one used with a Factory MGB top won't work, it has an aluminum retainer strip that the seal seats in whereas the Snug Top header seal is glued in position and I assume is a different cross-sectional shape.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jerry Avatar
Jerry Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   USA
go here and talk with them...get new not another's used...

http://www.snugtop.com/

limey222 Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Jerry,
I understand that you are probably trying to be helpful but that's one hell of a stretch to go from wanting a source for a new header seal to someone suggesting I buy a whole new top. In fact Snug Top don't even appear to list a top for MGB's anymore. There many perfectly serviceable Snug Tops for MGB's out there for anyone who wants one if they look hard enough. In my case my reason for asking about the type of seal originally used with a Snug top and possible alternatives used today is that I am in the middle of a special project that utilizes an old Snug Top that requires a new header seal.

In reply to # 3680499 by Jerry go here and talk with them...get new not another's used...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Maybe Jerry is thinking that Snug Top would have a "new" replacement seal since they were the original manufacturer ???

A long shot but maybe it would be worth sending them an email - you never know.

The Snug Top was one of the best things I bought for my B - used it for many years.

Hope you find what you need....

edit - just thinking - would gluing a standard convertible top seal to the Snug Top work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 11:08 AM by Tbird.

Attachments:
ON016m1.jpg    45.8 KB
ON016m1.jpg

limey222 Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Interesting, would you consider the Snug top products to be better than the factory hard top?

In reply to # 3680573 by Tbird Maybe Jerry is thinking that Snug Top would have a "new" replacement seal since they were the original manufacturer ???

A long shot but maybe it would be worth sending them an email - you never know.

The Snug Top was one of the best things I bought for my B - used it for many years.

Hope you find what you need....

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Pretty sure I saw the ad for the Snug Top in an old "Abingdon Classics" or "Car and Driver" magazine and just ordered it directly from Snug Top.
Didn't really think about a factory hard top at the time - not sure if I even knew one existed when I ordered the Snug Top.
Of course - this was back in the pre internet days and the car was just my daily driver - not really a classic.

I have seen factory tops at shows but never had one or rode in a car with one so honestly can't compare.....sad smiley

Rufus Avatar
Rufus Gold Member Harry Singleton
Garland, TX, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT Special "Rusty"
1974 MG MGB GT "Krusty"
Michael,
Several years ago I bought a $100 SnugTop while living in Richmond. I set about the task of finding aftermarket seals that would "do the job" without breaking the bank. I used the basic header rail seal (from NorthWest Imports - #BHH2273), glued to the top. Worked fine, didn't leak, only cost about $10 US. For the other seals, I used a seal resource that, while not correct, worked for me.
Some conversation including the resource, Here:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,981790,981790#utm_source=alias&utm_medium=mgexperience.net

Hope it helps.

Have fun

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest man alive!
Signed

RUFUS
67 Roadster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 01:32 PM by Rufus.

Member Services:
Restoration Services. Complete SU carburetor rebuilding services. Complete SU carburetor sets available for RB retro-fit. SU's bought, any condition. MGB's bought and sold. Performance consultation. Rufus-h@hotmail.com 214-686-8692
markrush Avatar
markrush Gold Member Mark R.
Vallecito, CA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "MGB Roadster"
Michael,
Go to the website for Metro Molded Parts, which is www.metrommp.com or call at (866)643-7826
I used 3 of their products with varying success, but the windshield to Snugtop was the best fitting and works just fine.
It has been over a year, but they likely do not change their item numbers.
Item LP 80-H fits the windshield great. Four feet is plenty.
Item LP80-N works OK for the rear seal (8'), but the car/top is not flat so I supplemented with a little foam gasket from the auto parts store where there were gaps.
Item LP 47 works OK for the windows (6'), but it is hard to position and glue. One side fits OK but I ended up with a gap on the other side. You might consider gluing some extra of the rear seal item then gluing this to it to get a deeper seal that meets the window better.
This source was not my find. I got it from Wes71B in March 2016.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Snugtop no longer supplies tops or parts for any sportcars .
They dont even know the part numbers or have desighns.
They make pickup truck canopies

In reply to # 3680499 by Jerry go here and talk with them...get new not another's used...

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster