MGB Hubs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ally cat Allen Holida
Shelby, NC, USA   USA
I have a 1970 MGB with wire wheels, wanting to convert over to bolt on rostyle wheels . I have the rear axles. Do I need to change all 4 hubs? If so does anybody have them for sale?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Install the bolt on rear axle and replace the front WW hubs with ones for a bolt on car. Available from Moss and others. RAY

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Just to be clear - the axle shafts for WW & bolt-on wheel cars are slightly different lengths. You can swap the entire rear axle assembly but you can't simply swap the axle shafts.

The front hubs are a direct swap.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
Allen, I have been doing this swap for 35 + years. Like what has been posted the front axles are a swap, no problem. The rear W/W axle is 1.5 inch's narrower than the steel wheel. What I have done is run a set of the Nissan 280ZX 14" wheels on my MGB, there is a different off set on the Z wheel & with the Z off set the Z wheel sets dead center on the MGB, rear axle. You HAVE to run a 185-70 14 tire, any larger the front, with the extra off set on the front the tire will rub the inner front fender lip. I sell the 4 hubs off a S/W car to put on a W/W car & I have a set of the Nissan wheels also, I can sell. If you go to a 15" wheels, Acme Speed Hap can set you up with the right wheel off set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 09:24 PM by mgv8glen.

Attachments:
IMAG1034.jpg    22.2 KB
IMAG1034.jpg

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Available from Moss and others"

Well it'll have to be others for Moss are like M-E - front hubs NCA.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Sonett7 Mats K
HÄRSLÖV, Skåne, Sweden   SWE
According to John Twist in this video the difference between the two types of axles are not 1,5 inches, more like 3/4 inch...

I'm planning to do this swap myself on a BGT -67 and I really want to know what is right.

This viedo also claims that the difference isn't that much.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, IN, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
In reply to # 3680357 by Sonett7 According to John Twist in this video the difference between the two types of axles are not 1,5 inches, more like 3/4 inch...

I'm planning to do this swap myself on a BGT -67 and I really want to know what is right.

This video also claims that the difference isn't that much.

Whatever difference in rear axle width there is can easily be counteracted with wheel spacers.

When I converted my 80B, I had to use only one 1/4" spacer on the left side and none on the right side, due to the common off-center axle mount of MGB's.

I mounted new 15" Minator wheels from Moss with 195X60X15 tires and I've had no rubbing whatsoever from any of the 4 wheels.

In any debate, the side which strays from civil discussion is usually the side that lacks confidence in its debate position or in its ability to win the debate on the merit of their arguments. Making personal attacks on the opponents instead of staying on the subject is also a sign of weakness.

Attachments:
IMG_1215.JPG    59.9 KB
IMG_1215.JPG

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680357 by Sonett7 According to John Twist in this video the difference between the two types of axles are not 1,5 inches, more like 3/4 inch...

Well, 3/4" per side does equal 1.5". winking smiley As measured here in post #13.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,1603499

Hot4aB Avatar
Hot4aB Silver Member Richard Gray
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
I am doing the other thing - disc wheels to wires - so have all the disc wheel parts. Shipping a rear axle would be ridiculously expensive, but the front hubs will fit in a flat rate box. PM me if you're interested.

Richard Gray

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster