AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jjh1118 Avatar
jjh1118 Jim Hargrave
Bogota, NJ, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "The Little Car"
It warmed up a bit so I thought I'd attach the new trunk seal. I assumed that it had a channel that just squeezed down onto the edge around the trunk. ( like the one for the bonnet but No channel. Does it get glued on?
Appreciate the help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Jim
Earlier cars had the trunk seal fitted into a channel on the trunk lid. Later cars had the trunk seal fitted to the body.
I am not sure when the changeover was but thinking around 1977 model year.
Ron

jjh1118 Avatar
jjh1118 Jim Hargrave
Bogota, NJ, USA   USA
Mine is a 75B. The seal that came in the Moss kit is the one for the car body. The bottom is " T " shaped. Does it just get glued to the body ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
No glue, Jim. It just presses onto the trunk vertical lip. Same principle as the door seals.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

jjh1118 Avatar
jjh1118 Jim Hargrave
Bogota, NJ, USA   USA
That's what I expected but there is no opening on the seal to press over the lip !

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Sounds like the wrong seal. Cross section should be a "U" shape.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
jjh1118 Avatar
jjh1118 Jim Hargrave
Bogota, NJ, USA   USA
I think so too ! Gonna call Moss Monday . Thanks Dave .
Thanks to all for the quick responses.

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
When you do get the correct seal...start and end the installation at the bottom of the boot near the latch.

This will help prevent water seeping into the boot.

Note....you can use the later seal on earlier bootlids/cars.....I've ran one on my 1969 MGB since 1996 with no problems.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Simon Austin Avatar
Oops...I see you mentioned the “T” shape in an earlier post. Yes, the T seal goes into the channel on the trunk lid. Your trunk lid wouldn’t happen to have this channel, would it?

It’s not unusual for lids to get swapped sometime in a previous life.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Good luck whichever seal you need. The site is littered with tales of woe about "my boot sits too high". The usual cause is either the seal which presses into the boot lid channel is the wrong durometer (I put mine away and went back to the old one - fortunately I took care when I was removing it) or the one that fits the body (it's called a pinchweld) sits too high. There are those who swear by McGregor's seals being the best fit................but IWK.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 02:31 AM by MGB567.

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
I was disappointed with my McGregors seal. Sat too high and I could get the same seal at Clarkes Rubber at a third the cost with no shipping! Keith

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Melbaver and I are pleased to read that Keith!

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
I found that the inner leg of the body side U-shaped trunk seal is bottoming out before the channel is fully seated. Trimming this a bit allows a lower fitting seal. Also tapping in place with a rubber hammer can help lower as well.smoking smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
My '74 had a good seal in the boot lid; but I ditched it because I preferred the look of the seal around the boot's perimeter.

I purchased a boot seal (one that goes around the body's "lip"winking smiley from Moss, and it made the lid sit too high. So, I trimmed the extra material off, so that the seal was just the inverted "U", and now the lid sits nicely. I personally think it finishes off the boot more nicely that having the seal on the lid which leaves a bare edge showing around the boot (but that's just my opinion).

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links