Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clinghoffer Clinton P
Port Washington, WI, USA   USA
Hi all

I've been lurking and just realized I hadn't written anything about me or the car. I've been reading a ton of articles and have already learned a lot about the car I currently have and how I want it to be.

I picked up this 1980 MGB last year in the fall. It was stock with removed smog equipment and quite rust free (especially for a Wisconsin car). The top was ripped and the carpet was in poor shape, but it did come with a snugride hard top. I had the guys at MG Limited take a look at it and worked with them to replace the transmission with a rebuilt overdrive unit and swapped out the carb for duals. Put gas in it and drove it as often as I could. Toward the end I noticed that there was bypass on the clutch, so I parked it and started tearing it apart.

I've gotten new wheels from Hap and found a great deal on tires. I picked up a set of Fiero seats that were pulled with about 5k miles on the car (was used as a kit car with racing seats I guess). The seats will have Mr Mikes covers. Also found a front valence to use from Albert.

New paint will be done along with body work. I'm going bumperless and shaving side markers as well as losing chrome strips (which were painted black by a PO along with mirrors, antenna, and some other stuff).

Carpet has been torn out and the floors are in great condition. Some bondo in front of rear wheels, but rockers and fenders are in good shape. Have a roll bar lined up but I'm not sure if it will be used or not.

I'm new to LBCs but not cars. I've had various 60s GM muscle cars over the years, but this little thing is a blast to drive. Smiles every time.

Thank you to all that have helped so far. Hopefully I can contribute too

Clint

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2834 small.jpg    46.6 KB
2834 small.jpg

2837 small.jpg    45.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2838 small.jpg    43.3 KB
2836 small.jpg    48.6 KB
Andrew73B Avatar
Andrew73B Gold Member Andrew Milne
St.-Lazare, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Barbie Car"
thumbs up Nice car! Looks good right out of the box. Welcome to the forum! smileys with beerMG

sws615 Avatar
sws615 Stephen Struck
Grand Haven, MI, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1975 MG MGB "Commission # G23N124120"
2015 Acura MDX
2015 BMW 535xi
Smart guy. You posted photos and avoided the snarky "no pics, it didn't happen" comment. grinning smiley Nice car!

Steve (from across Lake Michigan)*

*Except we're in Arizona for winter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pmaland2000 Avatar
pmaland2000 Paul Maland
Leduc, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Bea"
Nice acquisition Clint.
I too have a GM "muscle car" past but I love the British stuff too. I find the MG satisfies my gear head side while being economical to own. Really like the look of your B. Enjoy!

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Welcome,

I really like the look of white RB cars with the body stripe. If it were me, and it isn't, I'd be very tempted to leave the look the way it is. That being said however it is your car, have lots of fun with it whatever you do!!!

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
My Canadian /80 was also white with stripes, but that back said "MK 4".

Did this denote the Canadian version?

clinghoffer Clinton P
The pictures make it look in much better shape than it is, paint-wise. The stripe is a mixture of actual stripe and electrical tape. The paint has many places where door dings have been touched up with a not quite matching white. I do like the way the PO blacked out the chrome in places. As it's driving it looks quite nice.

Also, we have an MGB because of Paul Schils' car I believe. (http://www.britishv8.org/MG/PaulSchils-MGB.htm) We live a few miles from him and think we saw it driving away from a local car show. My wife said "that's what I want!" So I went out and found one that was in good shape, but not too good.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Yeah, go hang with Paul Schils. We will see ya over on the dark side. winking smiley

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
WHITE MGB's are AWESOME!!!!thumbs upMGsmileys with beer

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, Ohio, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Very nice car.

lawmann Avatar
lawmann Gold Member Shaun Johnson
Kathleen, GA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "Old Blue"
Very nice, welcome to the group! Have fun with your MGB.

Shaun Johnson
1972 MGB Tourer, Second Owner

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Very nice looking MG. Welcome to the MG addiction.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
In reply to # 3660777 by clinghoffer Toward the end I noticed that there was bypass on the clutch, so I parked it and started tearing it apart.

Can you explain this a little more? Is the clutch or the hydraulic system going bad?

You said that you changed the transmission so I assume that you at least checked the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing.

Thanks

In any debate, the side which strays from civil discussion is usually the side that lacks confidence in its debate position or in its ability to win the debate on the merit of their arguments. Making personal attacks on the opponents instead of staying on the subject is also a sign of weakness.

clinghoffer Clinton P
In reply to # 3661084 by lewisrn
In reply to # 3660777 by clinghoffer Toward the end I noticed that there was bypass on the clutch, so I parked it and started tearing it apart.

Can you explain this a little more? Is the clutch or the hydraulic system going bad?

You said that you changed the transmission so I assume that you at least checked the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing.

Thanks

Yes, the clutch and pressure plate were good. Bearing was replaced. It was temperamental and seemingly random, but I would lose the clutch after driving for a bit. I worked with Glen at MG Ltd to troubleshoot and we think (because I haven't taken it apart yet) that it's the slave causing the problem. I'm going to replace the master, slave, and hose during the rebuild to resolve that issue. The peace of mind is worth the cost for me.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
In reply to # 3662275 by clinghoffer I'm going to replace the master, slave, and hose during the rebuild to resolve that issue. The peace of mind is worth the cost for me.

thumbs upthumbs up

In any debate, the side which strays from civil discussion is usually the side that lacks confidence in its debate position or in its ability to win the debate on the merit of their arguments. Making personal attacks on the opponents instead of staying on the subject is also a sign of weakness.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster