Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodypear Avatar
Woodypear Gold Member Roger Sharpe
EUNGELLA, QLD, Australia   AUS
G'day. Would any Australian here own an MGB in the range (YHN5/1516 - 1935) or (YGHN6/606 - 758) with an early style ID plate affixed (not the square compliance plate)? I'm trying to help out a fellow member. Let me know here or PM me. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Roger, if you do a registry search for MGB Austrailia Model Year ASC you will find some owners of YHN5 & 6s. Not sure if this link will work or not but you could give it a try. http://www.mgexp.com/registry/browse.php?make=MG&model=MGB&country=AUS&sort=model_year&sortdir=asc&pageID=15

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Ben: Roger owns the mgbsmadeinAustralia site thumbs up

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodypear Avatar
G'day Ben. Thanks for that. I've checked those that I can but to no avail. What I'm trying to do is fairly difficult; I'm trying to prove something that doesn't exist - no ID platesmiling smiley. Some people (people who I have the highest respect for as very knowledgeable) state that during the 2nd half of 1969, MGBs (Australian that is) did not display any ID plate, save for the stamping in the bulkhead. This changed with the introduction of compliance plates on 1st of January, 1970 “From about June to December 1969 no ID plates were fitted to MGBss, which was common practice with all BMC cars of the period. From 1 January, 1970 all Australian cars were fitted with Compliance Plates.”p54, BMC Experience, Issue 4: January – March 2013. I have since received photos of an 'original' YHN6 car without any ID plate, displaying the new paint sticker where the ID plate used to be. One bird don't make no spring so I'm looking for as much corroboration as possible. I'm also looking at the possibility of the dropping of the 'G' in the chassis ID with the lack of ID plate. It appears that the 'G' (which represented MGB) was dropped at the time of the Leyland involvement.

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I know that Barrie. I'm not sure what your point is. I was only attempting to give him some potentials leads for his inquiry.

In reply to # 3660814 by MGB567 Ben: Roger owns the mgbsmadeinAustralia site thumbs up

MGB567 Avatar
Roger my car never had a plate - well it wasn't there when I bought it in '77. It was registered in the ACT before I bought and I subsequently registered it in the ACT. Up until I registered it in QLD it was always identified by the engine number. If it had such a plate there was no evidence ie no rivet holes on the inner wings. Whether Gary's records for my car has such detail IDK. I only found the number on the heater shelf by chance during restoration. I realise you're quoting 2nd half of '69 whereas I'm 12/66 - 08/05/67 (and IDK if their absence was true of all cars of my vintage) but no plate or evidence thereof.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
That's interesting, Barrie. Your 4103 only appears on the body. Likewise your engine number presumably only appears on your engine. Without the plate which has both numbers you can't be certain that the two are an original match. Is this correct?
My body number is 2965 this number appears on the body and the plate as does the engine number, confirming to me that my two components are an original matching.
When I got my blue slip a few years back that matching was critical to the inspection process. In fact, that and the ability of the car to stop was pretty much all he was interested in.

In reply to # 3660891 by MGB567 Roger my car never had a plate - well it wasn't there when I bought it in '77. It was registered in the ACT before I bought and I subsequently registered it in the ACT. Up until I registered it in QLD it was always identified by the engine number. If it had such a plate there was no evidence ie no rivet holes on the inner wings. Whether Gary's records for my car has such detail IDK. I only found the number on the heater shelf by chance during restoration. I realise you're quoting 2nd half of '69 whereas I'm 12/66 - 08/05/67 (and IDK if their absence was true of all cars of my vintage) but no plate or evidence thereof.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

MGB567 Avatar
All evidence points to them being a match. Heritage back in 2004 so long before their certificates became fashionable gave me information on the batch (CKD A/902) that the engine was sent out with. They noted that as a CKD no chassis number was recorded but a bit of their research based on engine and Banjo numbers at the time says that should be within the range 107932 - 107445 sent out Nov '66. Before that I was down at Nepean Classic who at that time had a hand written record of engine numbers and car numbers - why IDK. Anyway against my engine number was recorded 4103. As I noted I never found that 4103 until I was stripping the engine bay. Until someone can prove differently I'm happy with the record as it stands. It's interesting that Nepean had a handwritten record yet the car was first registered 08/05/67 in Victoria according to Gary's records (I think his name was Gary Kemp - anyway he supplied Roger with a lot of info).

Of course it's possible that I don't have a plate because it was removed after an accident before my ownership but there's no evidence of such a thing happening - unlike your rear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 02:21 AM by MGB567.

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Fair enough. So no tag at all?

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

MGB567 Avatar
Now there is but only by virtue of me getting one I think from Ian Vidler and having it engraved thus. I also screwed a body number tag on the heater shelf with 4103 engraved on it. I also have a Blue plate detailing approved changes attached to the inner wing - you got a bit of paper for your rear discs whereas I would have to have the relevant code engraved on the Blue plate which must remain attached to the car should there be a random inspection. Can't wait to see how long my list of codes for the GT will be.

Woodypear Avatar
G'day Barrie. "Garry Kemm". He also has details of about 50% of the MGAs assembled in Australia - a really helpful guy.

carlgreer Avatar
carlgreer Carl Greer
New Lambton, NSW, Australia   AUS
Roger

My car is in the range you specified, that is YHN6722. It was built in late 1969 and has no plate affixed. The chassis no is stamped on the bulkhead and the paint details are on a sticker located on the left hand side of the engine compartment in front of the radiator.

This seems to match up with the information on the MGBs Made in Australia site.

Woodypear Avatar
G'day Carl.
Thanks for that!
Is it possible that you could send me a photo of the location where the ID plates used to be. It all helps to build up a case. Send it via my email address if you'd prefer.
Cheers
Roger

Woodypear Avatar
What I'd really like to see now is any YGHN5, YGHN6 or YGHN7 car that never had an ID plate! Keep 'em coming folks.

Jeff.H. Jeff H
Beaconsfield, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII "The Red Head"
2003 MG TF
For others information Roger and re our separate emails to each other; Here is my 1969 MGB Mk2 YHN5 1711 engine bay. Car was built on 10th Aug.'69 and first registered 16th Oct '69. Pictures showing Original Paint Code and Details Decal, the new Sticker/Decal I had reproduced and one of the engine bay showing the original and the current Decal position. It never had (I believe) an ID Plate as per our discussions and as per your website we agree that this was correct for these mid-69 to Jan.70 Aussie built CKD cars. It does have the YHN 1711 stamped into the LH side at rear of engine bay.
Let's see if others have some more 'photo' examples.
Cheers,
Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 03:15 PM by Jeff.H..

Attachments:
MGB YHN-1711 b.jpeg    35.3 KB
MGB YHN-1711 b.jpeg

MGB YHN-1711 c.jpg    43.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGB YHN-1711 a.jpeg    62.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster