AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
You are 100% correct Adrian. I just did the magnet check. I am really surprised. I thought it was a hard aluminum alloy. I admit, I never really checked previously because the spokes sanded so easily compared to other steel items. It must be a soft steel alloy of some type, definitely not carbon or tool steel. I say this again, due to the ease at which it wet sands. I know this from my experience in refinishing one.

I stand corrected. And it won't be the last time! Lesson learned.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
Cheap stainless as far as I know... like stainless exhausts are made of. You get some rust after a very long time if the wheel is stored under poor conditions.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
But it is magnetic.... Are the "cheap" stainless alloys magnetic?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Here is an explanation...

https://www.finishing.com/71/36.shtml

So many alloys, so little time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 09:49 PM by tahoe36c.

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
It's steel with some kind of plating, seems tougher than anodizing. I've been able to clean up a few of them in the blast cabinet, they look good when painted silver. The first 5-hole wheel I did with sand paper, I got too heavy with the sanding and rounded the edges of the holes. Later attempts came out better.

Attachments:
73B 023a.jpg    65 KB
73B 023a.jpg

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Possibly Wray but the plating must be VERY thick because I sanded the CRAP out of mine and did not break through any underlying material... Most plating is in the thousandths of an inch and a good sanding with 180 grit would take it right off! I sanded the finish off the GT gutter rails in just a few strokes of the paper and then the aluminum polished like chrome.

bug88 Avatar
bug88 Silver Member Chas T
south central, IN, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Baby"
The pitting isn't very bad at all...N fact the spoke with the worst discoloration had no pitting at all...

Less personal info on the net the better……}

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Then wet sand it starting with 400 grit and you should be fine! I can post some better/closer pics tmw if you want to see my results. It looks very nice. I believe the original finish is a brushed look anyway, but I might be corrected once again!!! LOL...

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Pot metal.
Wrap in aluminum foil.
Zip Strip Paste.
Belt sand.
Steel wool.

It looks more original. No tell all paint. (Yes it is one more thing to keep polished)

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Chas,
The easiest way to clean the rust off is to put it in a shallow container and paint the metal with Evaporust. You may have to do this several times, but it will eventually clean it up. Don’t soak it deep enough to submerge the rim unless you are going to wrap it. Paper towels soaked in Evaporust will help keep the product from evaporating and clear plastic wrap will help as well.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3660845 by tahoe36c Here is an explanation...

https://www.finishing.com/71/36.shtml

So many alloys, so little time!

Like I said... cheap stainless. grinning smiley

I always thought they were plated like Wray says but maybe it's more of a passivate? Either way they do rust and pit.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Anodized Pot Metal . A British Leyland wonder.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster