AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bug88 Avatar
bug88 Silver Member Chas T
south central, IN, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Baby"
B4 I plump down 200+ on a new one. How would u handle this? I’ve taken a brush to it and now u see what I have left with. There is a little pitting on it as well. But for the discoloring ......?

Less personal info on the net the better……}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 12:40 PM by bug88.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
EAC80062-1012-4742-98B5-2CDD10FB39AC.jpeg    63.6 KB
EAC80062-1012-4742-98B5-2CDD10FB39AC.jpeg

96788AE6-FDD9-45DF-B238-6DB0357EE716.jpg    31.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Check with Mike Ruckman (princetn1?). He’s everything steering wheels.

princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
Thanks Noble.
If the rim is gone, find a good replacement. (I currently have 3...just saying).
If the rim is good and you want the metal spokes restored, it will depend on how severe and deep the pitting. If the spokes can be sanded smooth, I’d paint with a chrome paint. I’m doing that as we speak to the 3 I mentioned above.
And, for the ultimate in OEM wheel restoration, after the spokes look like chrome, have it wrapped in real (not bonded kit) leather. 1 of the 3 mentioned above will get this treatment. Ask Noble about the quality of my leather guy.

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.
mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB MkII ~ For Sale ! ~
1970 MG MGB GT    & more
Sand it as smooth as possible.
High build primer, sand, more high build primer, sand. Paint with a high quality aluminum paint.

As you can see by the rust, the spokes are steel, not alloy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
That's rusty cheap stainless steel. Powder coat would ruin the rubber grip so that's out. I suspect your only option is paint. Matt black would look nice.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
Fine sandpaper, steel wool, a small wire wheel and patience will pay out.

Attachments:
Steering wheel.jpg    50.7 KB
Steering wheel.jpg

CWSmith Avatar
CWSmith CW Smith
Trinity, FL, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "CherryO"
Save yourself the trouble, just buy one from Ruckman. Just saying

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
You can buy new MG's too.

pmaland2000 Avatar
pmaland2000 Paul Maland
Leduc, AB, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Bea"
I've had good success with the leather cover Moss sells. I would carefully shave/cut down the fake "seems" on the wheel prior to covering if I were to do it again. Mine sewed together really nicely but there is a VERY slight gap caused by this ridge. My son painted the logo with a flexible model paint for me.

Attachments:
20180112_170131.jpg    36.2 KB
20180112_170131.jpg

20180112_170151.jpg    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
If you know someone with a bead blaster you could clean that right up, super mask the wrap because it'll need protected.
Chris...

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, IL, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1967 Jaguar 340
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG Midget    & more
Is it the same on a mg midget? I have a near perfect one.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Chas,

The ability to restore those spokes to original or better condition is solely based on the depth of the pitting as mentioned above... Someone also spoke of cheap stainless steel? I don't think so. I believe they are an aluminum alloy of some type, hence the pitting... If the spokes were steel they would be VERY hard to sand and polish! Wet sanding is best, bead blasting will NOT remove enough material to do the job. You could start with 180 grit wet paper and see if it is possible to get below the pits. If so, move on through 320, 400, 600, 1000, etc. All should be done wet. Then finally polish with a good aluminum polish or buff with a buffing wheel... It will glow like chrome if this is the finish you prefer. You can also have the brushed aluminum look, in which case just pick which grit you wish to stop and be sure to sand in the same direction until you achieve the look you seek.

I chose the brushed look for my wheel. Not a good pic because the background is white, but it looks very nice...

Personally, I would never paint a steering wheel. I think it looks really tacky!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 08:20 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
Steering Wheel 01.JPG    19.5 KB
Steering Wheel 01.JPG

mgbanthony Avatar
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT    & more
Aluminum alloy does not rust...corrode yes, rust no. Aluminum alloy is not magnetic. Do the magnet test.

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
They are not aluminum.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

mgbanthony Avatar
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT    & more
In reply to # 3660825 by pinkyponk They are not aluminum.

Adrian

Of course not....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster