MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Dash console electronics upgrade -- who did it?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

crgrbrts Avatar
crgrbrts Gold Member Craig Roberts
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB MkII "Bumblebee"
Unless it came to me in a dream, I seem to remember a thread about an ambitious fellow who upgraded the dash console on his "B" to include a rear view camera GPS, modern audio components, etc. I think some Arduino platform technology may have been involved.

Who was that, or is this a product of my fevered imagination?

Thanks,

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 02:07 PM by crgrbrts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Is your imagination captivated by this dump from Swaps or was it thinking of something else - I didn't read as, in the main, it's above my paygrade.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

crgrbrts Avatar
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
That ain't it -- but it's an interesting thread. Thanks!

What I think I'm remembering was the work of a clever lad who replaced his radio console with a "glass cockpit" kinda display like them fancy-dancy, newfangled cars have.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
That's kinda icky, but I've got a dilemma going with my new little biplane now that all kinds of panel can go into a tiny cockpit when using glass. I swore a long time ago to keep it "simple" with period steam gauges. Now the glass is lighter, simpler and does as much as an airliner for the same price as the steam gauges. Forgive me oh antique sky gods, at least I'll paint the panel wrinkle black...
Chris...

crgrbrts Avatar
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
Well, Chris, I'm in the same dilemma as my trusty old tail draggin' C170 is in serious need of some electronic upgrading. Heck, I've still got a Narco ADF-31A in place and remain comforted by its friendly -- if largely useless - face.

BTW, I have no intention of messing with my MGB in that manner. Quite the opposite. I just got finished restoring and installing a British Leyland branded Motorola radio in my '70 Roadster. For the sake of authenticity, if not fidelity, I removed the door speakers that had been fed by the Blaupunkt stereo receiver I removed and substituted a single 5x7" speaker correctly mounted in the passenger foot well.

Craig
with mono in Merry-Land

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Craig, check out this thread from the Midget forum. It may have some information of interest to you.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,3517400

Two Bs Avatar
Two Bs Gold Member Kent McNeill
London, ON, Canada   CAN
Was it this one by Kwinzee ( Ron Weber)?

Attachments:
GPS in dash by Ron Weber (2).jpg    32.7 KB
GPS in dash by Ron Weber (2).jpg

fordgt Avatar
fordgt Gold Member Gary Ford
Gainesville, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB
Where is Kwinzee? Haven't seen him post in a bit.

In reply to # 3661071 by Two Bs Was it this one by Kwinzee ( Ron Weber)?

I aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Gary
1974 DeTomaso Pantera (done!!)
1969 MGB (almost finished!!)
1973 Cougar XR7 Ragtop (next project in line)

lawnvett Avatar
lawnvett Silver Member P.J. Lenihan
Winston-Salem, N.C., USA   USA
my V6 BGT would benefit from these

oh dear will lightening strike?????

In reply to # 3661071 by Two Bs Was it this one by Kwinzee ( Ron Weber)?

Don't postpone joy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 12:10 PM by lawnvett.

Attachments:
IMG_3401.JPG    96.4 KB
IMG_3401.JPG

grahamts Avatar
grahamts Graham Prosser
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
I have upgraded my dash with an android double din unit, pictures here. but no differing instruments, just warning lights.
Graham

Take a look at my journal for a more complete view of my restoromod:
http://www.mgexp.com/journal/grahamts/15298

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2005 MG TF 135

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links