AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB con rod sale
  This topic is about my 1970 MG MGB
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
If you’re rebuilding your engine, Maxpeedingrods is having a sale on their con rods. These are probably cheaper than having you stock con rods resized, balanced, bushed, and ARP bolts added and they are much lighter. I have a set for a TR4a and they are really good quality and within 1 gram of each other.
Rut
http://www.maxpeedingrods.com/MG-MGB-1.8L-BMC-B-Series-165.1mm-Connecting-Rod-High-Performance-4340-EN24-H-Beam-Conrod.html?af=edm

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Sweet. Do these require any special handling or procedure for installing? Big end bearings standard? What is needed if you have pressed pins?

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Clay,
Mine, TR4a, are standard bearings and I believe press fit. Hopefully Hap will chime in since he’s used them on MGBs and has more knowledge than I.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Clay,

I looked at these rods for the 1275 engine I have in the shop. The floating wrist pins require special pistons with a provision for circlips or buttons on the ends of the wrist pins to keep them in place.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3660430 by ClayJ Sweet. Do these require any special handling or procedure for installing? Big end bearings standard? What is needed if you have pressed pins?

I worked with a good 20 sets of the them, MGB and Triumph, always sized at the big end of the range on the housing bore, or big end, which is fine, they need to be honed/sized on the small end which has a bronze bushing for a floating wrist pin, so you would use the MGB 65-71 pistons with these rods , regardless of the year of your MGB 5 main you have, including the 18V.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3660451 by geezer Clay,

I looked at these rods for the 1275 engine I have in the shop. The floating wrist pins require special pistons with a provision for circlips or buttons on the ends of the wrist pins to keep them in place.

Yes, as you, and I have discussed these are popular rods for engines that have inexpensive off the shelf floating pin piston choices, like the MGB and the Triumph 1300/1500/GT6/TR6, but unfortunately the 1275 does not have that choice, the cheapest piston you could get to work with these rods for the 1275 would probably X2+ what the rods cost.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
larrym Avatar
larrym Larry M
near Sacramento, California, USA   USA
1968 Volkswagen 1600 "Manx"
what Hap says smileys with beer

yes - "cheaper than having stock rods resized, balanced, bushed, and ARP bolts added and they are much lighter"

benefit for us home mechanics is that we can fit pistons without trips to the rod heater guy

In reply to # 3660627 by Speedracer
I worked with a good 20 sets of the them, ... always sized at the big end of the range on the housing bore, or big end, which is fine, they need to be honed/sized on the small end which has a bronze bushing for a floating wrist pin, so you use MGB 65-71 pistons with these rods ,

i have 'em in my 18V - paid about $100 more than the current sale price, back in 2014 - small end definitely needs to be honed - don't have squirt holes, but we've had that discussion on other threads here

i'm inclined to think they won't keep making these forever given the tiny market we represent, so the temptation is to buy another set right now!

wish there was a light rod option for my 3-main sad smiley

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
My Supercharged engine has Pauter conrods which also dont have the oiler hole. No need in a racing engine but for my road engine I wanted the added lube to the bore so I put shallow slots in the side of the bearing flange exactly where the OE oiler aims. They are small and no sharp edges.. I got the idea from what the BMW engine builders do when they use after market rods, The BMW as OE has oilers like our engine. Here is a pic of a BMW OE and BMW Pauter modified. Not a good PIC but you can get the idea. I used two dremel cut off dics and went .020" deep. I did this as others have reported lower bore scuffing with no oilers, Seems to work well been a few years now and sweet. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits. Started on the body late 2016 and found Its a lot of work and expense starting from scratch. Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc all except the interior trim.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Future mods, maybe an increase in gearing but not for a while.

Attachments:
Jess and family 030.jpg    36.5 KB
Jess and family 030.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster