AutoShrine Sponsor

Engine Number
  This topic is about my 1974 MG MGB
MGRED1 Avatar
MGRED1 Stephen Reynolds
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
1974 MG MGB
Hello All
I have a MGB Roadster the body number indicates that it isa1974 car (don't think that it is correct) also the engine number seem to short, the engine number is 18 VHW1101. Anyone have any suggestions. The car is a Ex USA car now in Australia converted to RHD.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Don't know for sure, but with the H in the mix, that means horizontal or Front Wheel Drive (FWD). At least that is what Barney Gaylord says in BMC, M.G., & Morris Engine Codes - BE-100. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way to the section titled 1970 Onwards. It is not an MGB engine, but came out of another car in the BMC lineup.

MGRED1 Avatar
MGRED1 Stephen Reynolds
1974 MG MGB
Thanks for that Larry I was under the impression the H was for the high compression version.im not overly concerned about the engine not being original as I am not a purist in regards to MGB. The owner before the previous owner did the restoration and conversion from LHD to RHD about 10 years ago and in that time the car has only travelled about 6800miles never on the rain and still looks fantastic. I have not driven any other MGB apart from my Dads GT about 15 years ago so I do not have any thing to compare the performance to. It cruises easily at 65 to 70 MPH on the highway no smoke no oil leaks it would just be handy to know what the engine is out of for future maintenance. I may have to join the local MG club and talk to a couple of the engine experts there. Thanks for your input.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
The internals of any 18v are the same except for minor varattions in water passages, pistons compression ratio, intake valve size.
US spec woild be 8to 1
Others 8.9 or 9 to 1 depending on market.

Whats your vin number?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
No oil leaks? Definitely not an MG engine! (Unless it's all drained out.)

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Your profile shows a 1974 vin number
18v low compression spec engine with 2923 large intake valve head if original to the car.

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

MGRED1 Avatar
MGRED1 Stephen Reynolds
1974 MG MGB
The vin number attached to the car suggests it’s a late 1974 car however the the local guy where I buy MG parts has told me that the wide engine bay came out in mid 1976. I can also see a place where the vin number was mounted next to the bonnet latch. Apparently when some of the cars were imported from the USA it was easier to import cars that were over a certain age so I don’t think it is a 1974 car unless it has had a complete new front end on the car and I can see no evidence of that. I have also noticed the coolant inlet on the head at the back of the block near the heater. I have only seen this on 1 1979 model MGB

Attachments:
E468A2A1-397B-4F4F-99A4-0C32A15D203E.jpeg    42.9 KB
E468A2A1-397B-4F4F-99A4-0C32A15D203E.jpeg

E5EA11DA-4FC0-4BF9-B59D-7189FF417C99.jpeg    53.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
094A36BB-8A7D-4DA6-BDE6-B781FF9C61F9.jpeg    43.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Wide engine bay??? First I've heard of such a beastie.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
The engine bay modifications started in 1973 model year 1974 for the 3.5 rover v8 models
Your radiator placement is later year. Even it has been false vined it still is an 18v for parts ordering in future engine work.
You'd be doing a teardown before machine work and parts ordeing anyway so no need for worry.

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Rob,
You might be off a year, but I can't verify that. The factory made three changes for the 74 model year. A 74 would have the chrome bumpers with normal overriders. A 74 1/4 would still have a chrome bumper with the Sabrina overriders. A 74.5 car would look similar to the OP's car with the rubber bumpers. The wider engine bay, in my thinking, would have come with the 74.5 car. However, I can not prove that, as my Clausager book is in the things in a box going up to Whidbey Island where my 73 GT resides, and I don't want to go through that box right now. I will defer to your judgement, as you have more experience than I.

Stephen,
If you are really interested in your VIN, there are a few places that the VIN is stamped besides what you see. Bear in mind, that these are for NA cars only, as this was a Fed requirement. On the passenger side, on the tunnel just in front of the passenger seat, should be a riveted VIN on sheet metal. Another place would be on the castle rail just in front of the starter on the right side. That number was stamped by Pressed Steel upon manufacture for NA cars. The below is a picture of what mine looks like. Unfortunately, since your car was converted to RHD drive, the steering mechanism may cover it up. My picture was taken with a Borescope connected to my Android smart phone. This was purchase off Amazon for $20 to $30. Its a great tool to see what you can't see directly. Perhaps sometime in the future, when the engine is out, you can look at it directly. These VIN locations are documented in the library under Decoding the MGB VIN.

I agree with Rob, an 18V engine, is an 18V engine, so no worries there about ordering parts.

Attachments:
171202_150646.jpg    36.9 KB
171202_150646.jpg

MGRED1 Avatar
MGRED1 Stephen Reynolds
1974 MG MGB
Thanks for the information. I will just drive it enjoy it and fixit when I have to.

MGRED1 Avatar
MGRED1 Stephen Reynolds
1974 MG MGB
Thanks for the info Larry.
I will investigate the stamped numbers on the body. I have looked through Cluasagers book but it is still not 100% clear to me which model I have.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"where I buy MG parts has told me that the wide engine bay came out in mid 1976."

It wasn't wide - it was long but only by virtue of a shorter front lower panel - overall length wasn't increased. They changed the positioning of various parts so the V8 would fit; it was a little longer than the 4. The Factory didn't then differentiate the engine bay configuration between the V8 & 4pot - well that's my understanding and given I have one of each ...... I took out a 4 pot from my GT and the V8 just slotted in width wise; the nature of my V8 means I've had to remove more metal from the front because I have a really big radiator!

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 02:32 AM by MGB567.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster