AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Has anyone had their hardtop wrapped?
  This topic is about my 1975 MG MGB
markrush Avatar
markrush Silver Member Mark R.
Vallecito, CA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "MGB Roadster"
I recently asked for and got good advice on finding a paint shop to paint my factory hardtop. I just saw an ad for a place that does wraps. I know it is a different product altogether, but their ad says $155 for a standard roof. That is a fraction of the cost of a paint job, obviously. It's also not a fortune to risk if I don't like it.
Has anyone wrapped a hardtop? What is your experience? Would you do it again?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
I would put a Union Jack on the roof. Similar to this decal on a Mini:

http://martincull.create.net/ourshop/prod_1244865-Union-Jack-Roof-Kits.html

There are no bad days at the beach.

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
How long do the wraps usually last when exposed to the sun?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
It seems like a good idea to me.
I can’t imagine anyone painting your top for less than $400.

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
Mark,

My son used to design and wrap vehicles of all sorts (mostly commercial), and some pretty nifty designs can be had. I would guess that, at $155, you'll not be getting anything too fancy (like a Union Jack--unless they have it as a standard design). Anyway, a wrap can be done better if it's all apart, and as you said, if you don't like it after a while, you can always have it painted. I have always been dubious of the longevity of wraps, but they seem to hold up better than I expected. If it can be done in one piece, you'll have a better result--it's the overlapping seams that would bother me. At least it would give you time to decide which way to go permanently. Also, be aware that there are different grades of vinyl--you may not be getting the best material at that price.

I covered my TR-6 top with one, seamless piece of Everflex vinyl, and it came out beautifully; but that would be a much more pricey option.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
I wrapped the bonnet on my '72. Based on previous experience, I don't expect it to last more than about 7 years.

markrush Avatar
Vallecito, CA, USA   USA
I covered my TR-6 top with one, seamless piece of Everflex vinyl, and it came out beautifully; but that would be a much more pricey option.

The ad says they use 3M vinyl. That company usually has good products, but I don't know what the reputation of their vinyl wrap is.

markrush Avatar
Vallecito, CA, USA   USA
I wrapped the bonnet on my '72. Based on previous experience, I don't expect it to last more than about 7 years.

Seven years sounds pretty good to me. My car is garage-kept, and covered, never left in the sun or weather.

markrush Avatar
Vallecito, CA, USA   USA
I checked the ad again. They also use Avery Dennison vinyl. Is that a good brand?

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
I imagine a wrap, properly done, will last for a long time on our cars. They typically don't see a lot of UV or adverse WX.

I just saw this one on the way home the other day. IMHO, pretty nice.

---
GEO

Attachments:
COOL WRAP.jpg    58.2 KB
COOL WRAP.jpg

terryke5hwe Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
I used vinyl wrap for the rockers on my 79 Midget. Went to a sign shop and they measured and made the vinyl. I like the results, a satin finish. It looks pretty durable.

Attachments:
20170915_185316.jpg    46.5 KB
20170915_185316.jpg

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Great idea. Thanks.

Be doin' flames I believe.

---
GEO

Ray in PA Avatar
Ray in PA Raymond Franks
Drums, PA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "The Golden Chariot"
1992 Jeep Cherokee "Silver Fox"
2004 Subaru Outback "Subie"
Didn't wrap it, but prepped it and painted it with truck bedliner. And, got a little creative with the headliner.....

Attachments:
MGB Top 1.jpg    65.8 KB
MGB Top 1.jpg

MGB Top 2.jpg    48.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
That's pretty neat.

---
GEO

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Seven years sounds pretty good to me"

I didn't Google it but I'd suggest <8 years is going to leave some of those high end car owners a little miffed - I saw a chrome Lexus LFA not long ago; maybe it depends on the quality of wrap and application. Mind you if you can afford a LFA you'll probably not hold onto it long enough to see (unless you're a collector).

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster