Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Boris67MGB Richard Boris
Kings Park. NY 11754, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
I just ordered a set of 185/65/15 Pirelli P4s for my 69C/GT.

They’re rated for 85k miles. I got them for $450 “on the rim and out the door” as they say. They’re going on 15x6 Minator Knock-Ons. To be installed on Monday.

I chose these over the less expensive General RT43s because I had P3s on a 73B (Rostyles) that lasted for well over 100k. I used the car to deliver pizza in the 90s and did over 100 miles a day, 6 days a week. They handled great and kept me on the road in the rain.

I replaced them with a set of Cooper Cobra GTs on a custom chro-mag wheel. Mainly because they came in a package deal with the wheels. I don’t remember the measurements but they were a 40 sidewall. They only lasted for a little over a year. Maybe 40k miles. But man did they stick to the road.

I don’t mean to step on toes by asking this but if the tires have the same outside diameter so you don’t throw off the speedometer what’s the importance of having the original size and tread pattern? Wouldn’t you prefer to have a tire with a newer design and compound that’s safer and longer lasting?

Sorry, I veered off topic there. Loved my Pirellis before and can’t wait to see how they do on the C.

jfrankr Avatar
jfrankr Silver Member Jan Rische
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
The new "original" tires are made with modern compounds and the tread patterns are fine for everything other than ice and snow as they are not all-season. Back in the day I put Pirelli studded snow tires on my '64 in the winter, that sure was fun. An MGB, excluding those with engine transplants, doesn't need any more rubber on the road, spirited driving included. Bigger wider tires do make a B drive heavier if that's a priority.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Actually the original tires on the early MGBs was a bias ply 560-14. When they were fit with radials the roadster was fit with 155R15 tires and the GT 165R14.

EXU1949 Avatar
EXU1949 Advertiser Ed C
Middletown, CT, USA   USA
1947 MG TC
1952 MG TD
1972 MG MGB GT
1977 MG MGB
Abingdon Spares has the Blockley 165HR14 at $129.95 each, H rated tire, much better quality tire than the Michelin, I have both here for comparison. Check them out at http://abingdonspares.com/tires-wheels/.
We are now carrying a full line of MGB parts and accessories at abingdonspares.com

jfrankr Avatar
Grayslake, IL, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
This is new, another option.... Why has Blockley been a secret?

EXU1949 Avatar
EXU1949 Advertiser Ed C
Middletown, CT, USA   USA
1947 MG TC
1952 MG TD
1972 MG MGB GT
1977 MG MGB
They are no secret, click on the banner at the top of this forum for Abingdon Spares.
Blockley Tyres was originally founded by a vintage racer in England to, in his words, “produce the highest quality tire suitable for pre war cars – with authentic appearance and handling characteristics, that are not only suitable for road and competition use but are manufactured to the highest standards of the industry as demonstrated by the high speed rating. Blockley tyres have set the new benchmark, which other manufacturers have now tried to emulate.”
The Blockley 165HR14 has a tread pattern resembling the original Dunlop dog-bone pattern, and a very large footprint for its size. An excellent tire for the MGB and the correct size, not rubbing the inner fenders as the larger sizes often can.

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
I didn't know about them until now, looks like a great tire and a good price especially for H rated. I always tried to get H rated tires because they seemed to be rounder and smoother riding through all of the speeds. Glad to know about these.
Chris...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster