GT headlines questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
A glued on headliner with insulation greatly reduces cabin heat, and gives slightly more headroom. The difference in summer heat is immediately noticable. No one can tell the difference looking at it. I wouldn't do it any other way!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"A glued on headliner with insulation "

Tell me more about what sort of insulation? My "issue" is that my guru welded in a piece of metal to fill in the "dog of a sunroof" I didn't want. I can't smooth that repair out on the inside (on the outside you wouldn't know what's been done) so I need to overcome any outline that shows through the head liner. I've smoothed out my cant and head rails so no bump issue there.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Steve S Avatar
I wish I could tell you the exact type, but I had the headliner done by a local upholstery shop using their materials. What I can tell you is that they used the same stuff they use on modern cars. I know there was open cell foam used as well, which should help a bit to hide imperfections. Wish I could be more help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Barrie,

I used the "Closed Cell Landau Top 2A WHITE VOLARA" foam seen on the bottom of the webpage listed below. You MUST use closed cell!! Open cell will look terrible because the "open cells" fill up with glue and then glue flat which WILL SHOW when you press the material in question onto the foam. Ask me how I know!!! I made the first interior panel for my car and realized this when I glued the leather on. I could see all the impressions where my fingers pushed the leather down... BAD idea!

There is also a "cure" for your roof metal problem. Is the car painted yet??? I will assume the person who "filled the hole" welded some sheetmetal onto the roof. Just take your friendly neighborhood angle grinder and grind the welds down GENTLY until almost flush. Then use some good bodywork putty (I used USC 26006 Icing - Glazing & Finishing Filler Putty) to smooth it over and sand smooth enough so the foam will not show any "lumps or bumps". Your material will glue to the putty just fine. Lighter color materials (such as my white leather) do not show defects as much as darker colors, so this is to your advantage.

If the roof is already painted you can still use some type of grinder to remove the material but I would recommend having someone use and ice pack with a soft cloth to keep the area you are working cool. Just be gentle and don't get it hot!! It can be done, but will take a lot of patience...

http://www.headliner-magic.com/foam.html

I forgot tell you about calculating the thickness of the foam. Measure your gap all the way around the front and side cant rails (don't worry about the back because your hinge panel covers it). Your foam should be at least as thick as the biggest gap or very close. Just remember that there will be three materials filling this gap; foam, headliner material and cant rail material.

Glue the foam on FIRST!!! Use a Sharpie to make alignment marks in the center of each cant rail (front & sides). Glue foam onto the very center 6 inches or so (aligning your marks) then work your way forward and back from this point. Trim and tuck foam into gap. Then do the same with the headliner material. Then finally the cant rails. I used a dull edged putty knife to tuck the materials. Just be gentle!

I used DAP Weldwood Automotive cement. It is high heat resistant.

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/weldwood-landau-top-trim-high-heat-resistant-contact-cement/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 09:45 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
Headliner 10.JPG    27.3 KB
Headliner 10.JPG

Headliner 11.JPG    31.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
No problem Steve. Thanks for the info Paul - I'll add it to my knowledge bank. As regards the repair for the sunroof I can't grind it down on the inside. He put a lip on it and then we screwed and glued it. Once the glue had gone off screws taken out and filled with weld so just a bunch of spot welds to grind. As I said you can't pick it from the outside (car's not painted) but you can on the inside. I'll eventually chat with an upholsterer about the best approach - head board, glue direct or hang it like modern cars.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

tintinmilou Avatar
tintinmilou Philippe Tusler
Orange County, CA, USA   USA
1948 Bentley Mark VI "Mark VI"
1949 MG TC "Tournesol"
1957 MG MGA "Milou"
1966 MG MGB GT "Tintin"    & more
Yes, this was exactly my experience with my 1966 MGB-GT, owned since new. My headliner looked like yours. When I realized there was no board to remove, I despaired of trying to glue the new one in over my head, and decided I was in over my head! I took it to a professional and paid them to install the Moss kit. That was four years ago and it's still fine.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB MkII ~ For Sale ! ~
1970 MG MGB GT    & more
MG switched from glue direct to a slide in headliner which stands the test of time. The original liner in my 70 GT looks new, and I've not seen a bad one unless damaged through abuse. I wonder why they switched.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3660489 by mgbanthony MG switched from glue direct to a slide in headliner which stands the test of time. The original liner in my 70 GT looks new, and I've not seen a bad one unless damaged through abuse. I wonder why they switched.

Perhaps merely because the slide-in was quicker and simpler to install at the factory, Tony.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Steve S Avatar
Eventually the slide in type sag and you lose 3" of headroom. Very annoying!

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB MkII ~ For Sale ! ~
1970 MG MGB GT    & more
In reply to # 3660767 by Steve S Eventually the slide in type sag and you lose 3" of headroom. Very annoying!

I've had probably 15 GTs of the vintage to have the slide in headliner. I have never seen one sag unless someone has broken the edges while attempting removal.
I parted out a 69 GT last spring that has sat in my outdoor storage for 20 years. The slide in headliner was one of the best parts it had. Perhaps eventually hasn't reached this part of the world.smoking smiley

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I agree with you KemosobI ! ! !

Steve S Avatar
The last headliner I replaced was in fact due to sagging. That one lived in Alabama for 25 years. So yes, it happens, and it's annoying.

Even with both in perfect condition, a glued headliner will still give a little more headroom. Not an issue for most, probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 10:42 PM by Steve S.

JNorthrup Avatar
JNorthrup Jim N
Las Cruces, NM, USA   USA
Gary, I would be interested in the leather install as well.

I have a 67 BGT I am restoring.

Jim

dterhune Avatar
dterhune Silver Member David Terhune
Cleveland, TN, USA   USA
I tried gluing new vinyl onto an old slide in headliner.. could never find glue to hold in the summer.. found a old headliner from a parts car and just living with the dingy...

David Terhune

My Blog http://mymgcars.blogspot.com/

1970 MGB-GT, 1974 MGB and 1957 MGA Coupe

JNorthrup Avatar
JNorthrup Jim N
Las Cruces, NM, USA   USA
Paul,

I would be interested in the leather install for my 67 BGT.

r/
Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster