AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Do you know what this is and where it goes? I know the second but I'm not sure of the first. It's about as thick as a rocker shaft shim and it measures 37 x 19 (that's mm spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P1010575.JPG    21.8 KB
P1010575.JPG

Daz1945 Avatar
Daz1945 Darrell Martin
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1958 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1968 MG MGB GT "The GT"
1969 MG MGB MkII "The B"
Hi,
Not sure, but about the same size as those sometimes supplied with castor correction kits to adjust the steering rack angle back to standard after the crossmember has been rocked.

MGB567 Avatar
No far from it. It is as far as I could tell OEM.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mike.l mike l
tillsonburg, Canada   CAN
1954 International L-Series
1954 Nuffield PM-4 Tractor
1957 Morris Tractor (Nuffield) "Little Brother"
1974 MG MGB "Paddington Bear"
Hi Barry not up on metric measurements but its a information tag like found on the su carbs mike

MGB567 Avatar
Approx 1.5" long and .75 wide. SU carb tags are about twice as thick. But you and Darrell are cold grinning smiley
I'll concede information tag - well that's what I think it is but where?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-10 07:22 AM by MGB567.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
I've seen something like that on the differential. .

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

MGB567 Avatar
Give that man a cigar - do you know what it's meant to signify as I don't? It appears to be stamped 0358 second line A468.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
No idea but with American iron it would signify the gear teeth count and production date, as well as a posi unit if it had one. Unless your car has a 4.375 and was made in '58, I'd say that's not the case.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Is it a panel shim?

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
Nah. Jeff got it.

I'm still interested in the why/what for.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
maybe a part number for the axle assembly?

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

IanFife Avatar
IanFife Ian F
Inverkeithing, Fife,Scotland, UK   GBR
It's a shim for fitting beneath the rocker shaft pillars. From memory just the middle two, and fitted to later engines.
Ian F

MG Midget MK1 (1961)
MGBGT (1972)

IanFife Avatar
IanFife Ian F
In reply to # 3659931 by IanFife It's a shim for fitting beneath the rocker shaft pillars. From memory just the middle two, and fitted to later engines.
Ian F

Alternatively, a shim for aligning the steering box.

MG Midget MK1 (1961)
MGBGT (1972)

MGB567 Avatar
No you're missing the answer - it's at #6.

It was held on by one of the bolts holding the diff cover on - but IDK what it signifies not that it really matters as I was originally just setting a challenge to those MGEsters interested. I recall that M-E catalogues reckoned on there being a vehicle identifier stamped into the Banjo diff housing - maybe this was the final iteration; a tag bolted to the Salisbury?

IanFife Avatar
IanFife Ian F
Thanks Barrie, well that's another challenge I've failed!! I have three Salisbury axles but can't recall seeing any tags. I'll take a look this morning and if I find anything I'll post it here. As you will know the axles are supposed to have a number stamped on them, but can't say I've ever noticed that either

MG Midget MK1 (1961)
MGBGT (1972)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster