re-inforcing firewall

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

New Haven, Connecticut, USA   USA
Hi All,
A few days ago I asked a few questions about removing heater shelves and modifying cross members. Thanks again for all the helpful info I received. Some people who have done this have moved the engine further back than I had anticipated, and I can think of a few good reasons for doing so. BUT doing so means that a significant area of the firewall is also removed.
QUESTION: How have other guys re-inforced the engine wall once they've chopped a good bit out? I'm looking at working with a B GT, so the monocoque gives more rigidity, but I still want a sound underside, particularly if I am going to feed the bhp from a 2JZ with turbos.
I have loads of other questions, but I'll go one at a time.
JH

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Well I suggest you pose your question on the Swaps forum. OTOH I've stuck a 5litre Rover in mine and not cut anything - but now the engine's out I'll do a little BFH work around the area the bellhouse sits. Advice on Swaps was no need to reinforce seams.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 07:02 AM by MGB567.

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Jon... while they remove metal to get the contours they need, they always add metal back to close off the holes they open up. With that, integrity for the most part, is returned.

Have you seen the Youtube videos of the BGT with the duel turbo 2JZ motor... it's fast enough to take on motorcycles!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I guess it is fortunate the B being one of the earliest uni-bodies from BMC that it was built "strong enough". Modern cars with-the extensive finite element analysis might be far more susceptible to structural issues than the B. Basically, it is built like a tank. I offer it's weight, which is more than a Mustang as proof.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster