MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Jacking Up Car AFTER Removal of a Motor Mount?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JGORMAN Avatar
JGORMAN Joe Gorman
Petersburg, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
1980 MG MGB
Replacing the front motor mounts on my '80 MGB. I've raised the motor with a trolley jack and a piece of 2x6 under the oil pan, and removed the passenger-side mount, but have not yet replaced it. I discovered, however, that the driver-side will be easier if I have more room under the car. So..., I need to raise the front of the car. If I lower the motor, WITHOUT replacing the passenger-side mount first, will I damage anything? I want to 1) lower the motor, 2) raise the front end and place on jack stands, 3) raise the motor again.
Difficult enough of a job on a packed gravel barn floor, with no heat.

Thanks,

Joe Gorman
Petersburg, TN

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Joe, place a small piece of wood where the missing motor mount was and then lower the engine down on it. RAY

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Why not just replace the missing mount and then move to the otherside? Am I missing something?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JGORMAN Avatar
JGORMAN Joe Gorman
Petersburg, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
1980 MG MGB
Barry,

The replacement mounts haven't arrived yet. Just getting ready for the new ones.

late 64 Terry O
Milton, Ont, Canada   CAN
X2 Ray.........thumbs up

tbarker7815 Avatar
tbarker7815 Tom .
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
To access the nut on the drivers side mount is pretty tight, I took a cheap open end wrench and ground it down thin to fit in.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
X3 Ray

The driver's side mount is often a bear for people. I did it on the '79 in no time flat was surprised how smooth the process was. Did it on a '76 without much issue either.

Never had to do a passenger side (knock on wood)

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Before replacing my sump gasket I decoupled both mounts and lifted the engine up symmetrically. With two woodenblocks instead of the mounts, the block stayed up enough for reaching those bolts.
Although your job and mount type are different, I feel lifting the engine up slightly and using wooden blocks in some part of the process is quite easy eye rolling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster