MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Length of time your MGB has been operational without a failure?!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
60K miles on my first MGB with only a loose battery connection holding me up in the rain one night. didn't have to get out of the car to fix it. That 79 never left me anywhere. Never had an MGB towed after I put it on the road though I have towed a few TO the house on purchase.

Current MGB needed a slave for the clutch ( I knew it was leaking) and I didn't pay attention, failed in my driveway.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
Sarphati Darren Sullivan Vince
London, London, UK   GBR
For me I should ask, "What is the longest it has run between breakdowns?"
I have had mine for just a year now. It was a shell when I started a full restoration. I have had to replace/repair almost everything in the engine bay since I bought the car. This includes the rear suspension.
Things that have not failed:
- petrol tank
- pistons, crank, cam (though I do need to replace the head gasket next)
- front suspension
- steering column

I can only afford this car because I am doing all the work (except painting) myself.

I am so eager to be able to drive it without worrying about something else breaking. That should be soon!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
By using the annual John Twist complete maintenance work sheet I have had nothing more than a flat tire in 18 years. Like many other posters, I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. MGBs do not take care of themselves... MGB owners take care of MGBs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 08:31 AM by mgbtf.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Broke down on the side of the road? One time in 28 years. Overheated due to a stuck thermostat on the original engine. Removed it & made a gasket out of the back of a spiral notebook & drove the last hour home.

This past Spring, I cracked a header & broke a piston skirt on my V8. Drove it the 4 hours home anyway. Replaced the piston & still going.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Changed clutch 2011. No problems up to then, none after.

tomkatb Avatar
tomkatb Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
Have not been towed ever. Owned one since since 72.

My B's have always given warning of impending issues.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

saanich2006 Avatar
saanich2006 Robert Browning
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
In reply to # 3641067 by Rod H. Depends on how a failure is defined also.

I've never had to have either MGB towed in 44 and 36 years of ownership. Both have obviously needed repairs, major and minor.

Fuel pump stopped on the GT about 6 years ago. A few raps got it pumping to get me home.

Do you mean the last time non-scheduled maintenance type repairs were performed?

I agree - define failure ?

I have never been towed or stuck on the side of the road somewhere. In 15 years, the only break down was a broken fan belt, which was actually my fault, as I had nicked it and knew it might break,

Other wise, it has never failed to start and is actually very reliable

Agian, as others have said, I am proactive in keep it running, doing updates and keeping up with maintenance

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
Yes between breakdowns consistent running without any failures would be another way to say it.

I bought mine in 1999. After one breakdown because of flooded HIF SU float bowl gasket failure on the front carburetor, towed home. Replaced those with HS4's.

From late 1999 to this moment, no breakdowns on the road. Feels good to know, I went (and learned) all systems to ensure consistent liability!

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Depending on the definition on the type of failure, answers will be different. Listing my VERY frequent failures makes the differences clear:
1) car to be towed away because of complete engine breakdown: only once in 39 years, I believe it was around 1980 so only 2 years after bying it 2nd hand and as a `1972 only 8 years old
As a consequence my first Gold Seal engine came in, the original block was completely destroyed. In the same time frame the present owner, my partner at the time and I joined a clandestine rallye in Belgium, with after crashing in a ditch required numerous repairs to the left front suspension, a new shock and an extra new exhaust. Of course this failure does not count for statistics.

1a) I do not remember all the other repairs my first MG garage had to perform in the 1978-1985 timeframe. Just by memory alternator early 16ACR replaced by a 2nd hand 17ACR, 25D replaced by a 2nd hand 45D from a Morris Marina TC, Bosch blue coil removed in favor of a Lucas Sports, rear diff revision for new bearings? (probably trust washers), renewal of a leaking heater valve. New early double brake MC was renewed twice, never understood why. The same for multiple clutch renewal actions, I never reached beyond a mere 30k miles on average between clutch failures to slipping. Last but not least at least a new 3 part USA exhaust every two years, because its thick middle silencer consistenly touched road hurdles during its use eye popping smiley

Vacations in the period 1981 to 1989 were with a B without complete failures, only a failing OD lockout switch in 1988 blocked regular OD, 10 years after buying
2) reaching the garage just under own power with horrendeous oil consumption because of a severe HGF, once around 1990, so 12 years down the line.
Because the head was overskimmed, the block no longer functioned well, so the 2nd Gold Seal block came in (little did I know at the time this could've been solved in a much cheaper way). The mech mounted the wrong rear engine seal so oil leaked everytime the engine was stopped on a vacation to France and Italy. Furthermore after brake disk and caliper renewal job one remounted original brake hose developed an internal blockage, so the car swerved to the right and then the left on every brake action..

In the years between 1990 and 2012 family vacation with both, later only one of the kids meant the B was hardly used, for anything beyond urban usage on short distances
3) I had to replace the (already secondhand) 17ACR alternator, by a new aftermarket production 17ACR because its front bearing wear got me screeching with the engine cold in 2010
4) clutch renewal by myself this time after the same low mileage as ever, performed by myself and reasonably quickly in 2006
5) broken up carbon TO bearing did not block me from reaching home from vacation in France during 2013, but did not permit further driving, so after 35 years
6) SU pump stopping all service in France one year later requiring a camping site Hardi replacement action by myself (I often mentioned this in my MGE posts), after 36 years
7) second starter motor giving up before leaving for Italy in 1985, i reached my parts provider for getting a third one under own power, without restart, after 37 years

In the 2010 to 2017 timeframe I had to perform multiple, sometimes preventive maintenance activities as well, i.c. last year restoring my OD function, I somehow initiated myself by a wrong gasket remount, but driving was never prevented in those years. I seem to have somehow solved oil leakage problems on my gearbox OD, but the engine uses 1 litre oil per 1250km by now and this trend continues upward sad smiley Also completely refurbished my HIF's to remove bowl overflow and tried different K&N filter types, needles & floats over the years 1992-present and in the same period renewed my rear leaf springs at the back twice, say every 12 years and the springs up front are renewed and shifted against bachelor lean in the same frequency: left one renewed, old one shifted to the right

Summing up: lately higher usage saw me experiencing failures every year, while in the earlier period failure frequency was a bit lower, say every 2 years. But more severe in those early years.
Still my B only failed me completely twice in all those years on engine and fuel pump; if the imminent startermotor failure is included, three times in over 39 years.

Once in 13 years for the average period between catastrofic failures seems fine, but overall I find British car technology in the seventies of dubious quality as far as MTBF figures are concerned thumbs down
No wonder then I carry a lot of spare parts with me on vacation and by now my wife has her doubts on yet another vacation to France if bringing it back home after a drastic failure is not ensured eye rolling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 06:34 AM by Donthuis.

67motorcat Avatar
67motorcat Silver Member Steve O
Pinehurst, North Carolina, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Broke down 1 time in 30 years of ownership as I tried one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-for-4cyl-Lucas-25D4-Austin-Morris-Triumph-MG/322916520518?hash=item4b2f531246:g:JvcAAOSw5VFWKC~B

when my original dizzy was going down the tubes, so I though what the hell and gave it a shot, never again. I was on the interstate and the POS just quit after only about 200 miles. I was not happy and luckily had a place to pull over with cars blasting by at 70 plus mph, and AAA 200 miles towing radius to get back home.

Then ran a spare points dizzy, but I now have a Advanced rebuilt points unit that is original to my car. Maybe the gene Petronix is better but I will pass.

To my fellow MGers, do not but this POS unit on your car, but the seller talks a big game.Fair warning....

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Glenn G
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
People often ask me if the MG is reliable. I always tell them it is only as reliable as its mechanic. As a daily driver, I'm always fixing something, usually before it breaks. The only time I've left the car at the side of the road was when the battery died.

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
And that's the great thing about older cars. Modern ones just go, poof!!

In reply to # 3641367 by tomkatb .....My B's have always given warning of impending issues.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

lawnvett Avatar
lawnvett Silver Member P.J. Lenihan
Winston-Salem, N.C., USA   USA
80,000 miles on this one since acquired in Dec. 2009. Never been towed,(recovered) or flat trailered. I have fixed a few little things on the side of the road or at a car show/event.

Don't postpone joy

Attachments:
IMG_0915.JPG    74.6 KB
IMG_0915.JPG

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
For that price one can hardly expect high reliabilty eye rolling smiley
Even my cheap Accuspark unit costs 30-35€ on part fairs, equivalent to about $40. Never failed on me over 6 years and probably close to 20k miles by now thumbs up

In any case, with electronics in your ignition better carry spare dizzy with you, rebuilding it to points on the side of the road can be a PITA (my own spare is also equipped with Accuspark)

PS Pertronix units cost a lot more and received a lot of attention on MGE over the years, not always postive because of unexpected failures with certain types, others seem OK

In reply to # 3641451 by 67motorcat Broke down 1 time in 30 years of ownership as I tried one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-for-4cyl-Lucas-25D4-Austin-Morris-Triumph-MG/322916520518?hash=item4b2f531246:g:JvcAAOSw5VFWKC~B

when my original dizzy was going down the tubes, so I though what the hell and gave it a shot, never again. I was on the interstate and the POS just quit after only about 200 miles. I was not happy and luckily had a place to pull over with cars blasting by at 70 plus mph, and AAA 200 miles towing radius to get back home.

Then ran a spare points dizzy, but I now have a Advanced rebuilt points unit that is original to my car. Maybe the gene Petronix is better but I will pass.

To my fellow MGers, do not but this POS unit on your car, but the seller talks a big game.Fair warning....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links