MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Length of time your MGB has been operational without a failure?!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
What is the length of time your MGB has been operational without a failure?! Jinx?!

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 02:42 PM by danthefitman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
8 years.... smiling smiley
Been rebuilding and replacing bits, but no failures...

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 01:08 PM by warekl.

reedrickborn Avatar
reedrickborn Reed Rickborn
Greedwood SC, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
15 years until 2 months ago when the gear reduction starter failed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Probably more relevant to pose it as a mileage question.

Apples to oranges comparing cars driven 1k miles per year vs one driven 10k.

That said, After my broken piston ring it's been 8k miles(basically 8 months of driving for me).

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

spikerj Avatar
spikerj Josh Spiker
Provo, UT, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Little Red"
It lasted about 7,000 miles until I tried to take it on a 700 mile road trip! I graduated from high school last spring in California and this fall drove it up to Utah for college. Split it up into a two day road trip, with the lay over happening in St. George. Had no problems on the first day! The second day the car was difficult to start but I got it going and went on my way. Then, about 50 miles later after leaving St. George something dreaded happened, my red ignition light started to flicker!!!!

So I'm thinking crap, I hope the alternator has enough kick in it left to get me to Provo about 250 miles away!

Luckily, between the car battery and whatever juice the alternator was still able to provide, I was able to get the car into Provo but not quite over to my apartment. It was night by then and when I turned my headlights on, the engine died, so I'm thinking crud, I don't have enough juice left to run the engine and headlights at the same time! So I got some strangers to help me push start the car, and tried to drive the remaining 5 miles to Provo in the middle of the city with no headlights. Then, about 4 miles in, I discovered I couldn't even use my turn signals anymore or else the engine would die! So I got it push started one more time, and it made about one more mile before the engine died and wouldn't start again. So I had to have it towed the last three miles to my apartment haha.

Needlesss to say, I think divine intervention played a part here in helping get me and my car so close to where I needed to be!

It was a trick getting the car running again, because not only did the alternator die, but the points crapped out on me to, so when I got the new alternator and charged the battery up the car still wouldn't start. When I found out it had no spark I soon figured out the points had gone bad at the same time the alternator died, which explains why it was hard to start up.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
I've always stayed a step ahead of upcoming problems. The car has been a reliable vehicle for over 45 years. RAY

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Depends on how a failure is defined also.

I've never had to have either MGB towed in 44 and 36 years of ownership. Both have obviously needed repairs, major and minor.

Fuel pump stopped on the GT about 6 years ago. A few raps got it pumping to get me home.

Do you mean the last time non-scheduled maintenance type repairs were performed?

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
56 years with regular maintenance and replacement of consumables.
MGBs don't fail, their drivers fail to pay attention.

Jack Long Avatar
Forest Hill, Maryland, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "Harriet"
1974 MG MGB "Lucy"
11 years. She has been as far as Canada and Georgia and never left us sit once.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
The current B has been daily driving for 13 years and never broken down.

Paul755 Paul H
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Other than the original Opus ignition failing a year after I bought it that left me stranded, nothing else outside of routine maintenance items and a clutch in 80k miles. Currently I'm replacing all the suspension bushes, engine and gearbox mounts. Wish my BMW was as reliable as the MGB.

Bigamy is having one wife too many.
Monogamy is pretty much the same thing.

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
2 Failures in 29 years, Head gasket and ignition switch. Car only averages 1500 mi per year though. Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 11:46 PM by tkamd73.

Gordon Lewis Avatar
Gordon Lewis Silver Member Gordon L
Eureka, California, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
18 months then 3 synchro trans went out. Got home though so technically did not let me down. Currently still daily driver though has charging issue. Never been stranded though !

Brendon9889 Avatar
Brendon9889 Brendon Hagarty
Perth, Western Australia, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB MkI "B1"
1967 MG MGB MkI "Eric The Half A Bee"
1970 MG MGB MkII "B2"
My 1964 'B has been on the road since a full restoration in 1989. Has not failed me once in that time.

Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
Alternator failed after 48 years and 115k miles.... and an electonic dizzy went at same time.... the only time its been towed since my late father in law bought it new....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster