Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
I think most people agree that the rear light panel on a S2 E-type looks a little awkward (see first pic). The changes were made to meet Federal requirements similar to the rubber bumpers on an MGB.

I stumbled across a guy on-line who took matters into his own hands, and changed the rear panel by adding MGB tail lights, turned on their side.

I know this is a matter of personal opinion, but I think he improved significantly on the original design....maybe Jaguar raided the wrong parts bin. (See 2nd and 3rd pic)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4686.PNG    31.9 KB
IMG_4686.PNG

IMG_4679.JPG    42.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4681.JPG    46.9 KB
dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, New Jersey, USA   USA
Looks good to me. For the longest time I preferred the vert to the coupe but lately the coupe would be my choice if I was in the market for an E type which I’m not. Lol

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

Simon Austin Avatar
I notice he did away with the reverse lights as well. Ironically, in photo one, they look like stock MGB lights.

Looks like the radio antenna and side marker lights disappeared as well.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3640820 by Simon Austin I notice he did away with the reverse lights as well. Ironically, in photo one, they look like stock MGB lights.

Yes, the stock reversing lights were the same as the MGB.

He also raised the license plate, which allowed him to use the S1 exhausts, rather than the S2 parts, which were sort of crudely splayed around the license plate.

lbcnut Avatar
lbcnut James Woolf
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
That's my friend Jeff's car, he was showing me those lights last time I was at his place, I got a real kick out of it. He is the same guy who did the "Ultimate B" build on this site years ago...

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Now to kill those ugly oversize side markers we inherited from Jag sedans! I see he eliminated the backup lights. They looked very add-on.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

kstevusa Avatar
kstevusa kelly stevenson
Huntsville, Lwr. Middle Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Must-B"
2003 Jaguar XK8 "Nigel"
Benny, surely you jest;The E-Type is the pinnacle of the pile.smiling smiley Hope you have viewed the video on "The "B" Cam? The E-Type and B Cam are very similar. If you have not seen the video, Google -Ford B Cam video on u tube. Its mind blowin!

46er Avatar
46er Silver Member Ralph K
Coastal, NJ, USA   USA
It really does not matter, they are still out of the sight line of things that can hurt you. I added a third brake light inside the rear hatch of my S2 FHC, image #2.

Attachments:
jaredS100-Sight line.JPG    53.9 KB
jaredS100-Sight line.JPG

3rd Brake Light 009.jpg    32 KB
rrmgb Avatar
rrmgb Silver Member robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB
Wheels are different and no LH door mirror on second car.
Exhaust is different too.
Good job on the lights smiling smiley

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Looks surprisingly good. And I'll bet a lot cheaper, too.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3640910 by kstevusa Benny, surely you jest;The E-Type is the pinnacle of the pile.smiling smiley

If you think the S2 is the pinnacle of the pile, well, I can't help you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 02:56 PM by Benny.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I rather like the series 1 1/2 (1968) as far as a balance between amenities and looks go.....

Although I prefer MG non-synch gearboxes, I am not 'hair shirt' enough to want to own a Moss box Jag.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Out of fight line only for the morons who think driving 10 feet off your tail at 60 is normal. 2 seconds! Follow by 2 seconds. I am one of those who if you don't back off, I will slow down until your tailgating distance becomes a safe distance. I'll stop if I have to. This is what happens when our insurance buys you a new car when you do something stupid and new cars are so safe, you live to do it again. it is not a bad idea to toss a little Clorox in the gene pool occasionally. devil smiley

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3640966 by bills I rather like the series 1 1/2 (1968) as far as a balance between amenities and looks go.....

I'm biased, but I think the S1.25 was the best....sort of like a 5-main, pull handle B.

4.2 engine, later gearbox, triple SU's, S1 dashboard, and no annoying headlight covers.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3640837 by lbcnut That's my friend Jeff's car, he was showing me those lights last time I was at his place, I got a real kick out of it. He is the same guy who did the "Ultimate B" build on this site years ago...

That's Jeff's? Looks nice! I've never met him, but many years ago we spoke on the phone a few times. Last time was right before he started on the Jag project. Say hello for me!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster