Wire wheels

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

EJP914 Ed Ponczak
Monroeville, PA, USA   USA
When re-installing wire wheels back on to the hubs, how tight should they be? Do you keep beating on the spinner until it just wont go anymore?
When I got this car about a year ago I had to use a sledge hammer to loosen the knock off spinner. That seemed to be way too tight.
So, how tight is tight enough.
Thanks for the help.
Ed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcpeso Avatar
mcpeso Mike McWherter
Irvine, CA, USA   USA
Hey Ed,
Firm is how I would describe it. You can feel the knock off seat as you tighten- then one or two more hits is all you need. A light smear of grease on the threads and splines is a good idea.

Mike

2150john Avatar
2150john Silver Member John L
Nolensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Good question to which there have been many answers. To my knowledge there is no torque rating given for putting these on.

I have gone all the way from using a BFH and pounding till they didn't budge anymore to what I do now. What I do now is tighten them with a small lead hammer while they are jacked off the ground. I then let them off the jack stand and pound a few more licks with the lead hammer. They are said to be self tightening so it seems they don't need to be put on with a heavy hand.

I think there are several threads that discuss this if you wish to do a search.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Properly installed (the hubs are handed - left & right sides) wire wheel knock-offs are self tightening. Improperly installed they become fall-offs (which is also why one should not tow a wire wheeled car backwards). see: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/wheels/wl102.htm

As an example, I have put the wire wheels on my MGA hand tight in order to roll the car around the garage/driveway. Afterwards, I needed a hammer to remove the knock-offs.

So, install them snug but no need to beat them on.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Well, I've been tightening the hell out of my spinners for 45 years. The splined hubs and the splines on the wheels themselves still look like brand new. RAY

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
You hammer the knock off until it stops moving (any further and you will mushroom the knock off ears). And then check it again after a few miles. No need to go all Neanderthal on them - once they are tight, further bashing is just potentially damaging.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

13401h Greg Mouritz
Mentone, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I don't find tightening an issue. Especially as they self tighten.

My issue is removal. After a track day it is damn difficult to start to loosen the knockoff.
I do put a smear of grease on the wheel where the knockoff contacts.
Seems the faster you go the tighter they get to the point of extremely tight.

If I have not done a track day knockoff removal is relatively easy.

Greg

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, Florida, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
This has been an issue for me as well. I had a right rear knockoff that would defy removal to the point I had the car towed to a shop. If course it was let sit too long during periods of long inactivity usually. At that time I had the octagonal spinners. I bought one of those extra long wrenches and bent it attempting removal. One time it slipped and I made my nose a bloody mess when I smashed it into the car.
When I did a major refit last time I replaced the hubs and bought new knockoffs and replaced two of the wheels. I now use antiseize grease on all the threads. I get them snug while up in the air and give them a couple of good wacks with the hammer on the ground. They all come off pretty easily now.

Attachments:
IMG_1407.JPG    104.1 KB
IMG_1407.JPG

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
The best way to describe what I do is a 2 pound hammer, swung with medium force from the elbow only (not a full arm swing) until the hex wrench only moves an inch or two at a swing.

In other words they are very snug but not ever "tight"

It usually takes 4-5 swings after the nut is hand tight and maybe one re-positioning of the hex wrench.

It might be an interesting idea to put a torque wrench on them after I have done this. I wonder where I would get a 1/2 drive socket that big without paying $2,000 for it...

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster