AutoShrine Sponsor

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"    & more
Replacing the old hatch seal on the 68 GT, to attempt to keep the car water tight. Removed the old seal which is attached to the hatch and installed the new Moss seal which goes on the body of the car.

Two questions -

First, do I need the seal keeper (bit of metal) that runs across the top of the window? It appears to only be there to hold the original seal.

Second, I see that part is NLA on Moss. Is it worth keeping, would someone want it? (It's the part labelled 39 on the GT unique page.)

TIA Chaps.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Good questions that I don't know the answers to since I have not replaced my hatch seal. What did Lou do on his GT, I wonder? I have two of the aluminum pieces, so don't need another. Will be watching this thread as I will need to know also, if I ever get around to painting my rust free hatch and installing!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
OK, Rod, come along for the ride. Dunno about Lou, last we talked we had other things to discuss. He's learned a new way to clean his fingernails.eye rolling smiley

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
Never throw anything now listed as "NLA" away.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 11:37 AM by mowog1.

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Yes, absolutely keep the metal seal keeper. One of my GTs leaked all the time. I couldn't figure it out until I bought another GT and saw the metal keeper which was missing on the first GT. I got one from a parts car, replaced it with a new seal and that did the trick.

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
So, what's he using? Die grinder? Listen to Rick and Wray; anything NLA you keep x2!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
Chris, I'll let the gentleman do his own press releases! But don't look at the pictures if your constitution is weak!

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Keep it on!

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
"Installed the new Moss seal that goes on the body of the car"????

There isn't any seal on the body... There are two on the hatch!

This must be something new.

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
Paul, the newer models came with a single seal which goes onto the body of the car. The earlier ones (including mine) had a two piece on the hatch lid.

Makes a lot more sense to me.

Just wondering about keeping the metal strip attached after the change over.

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
keep it

29desoto Avatar
1953 MG TD
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
Lee, et. al., the main question is not to keep or not keep, but to reinstall even though it's not needed. (I think)

I've got a large enough supply of things that are NLA, and really don't want more! smoking smiley

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
NW Import shows he has both pieces of two piece seal setup. I didn't see a one piece listed, but may have just missed the listing. Couldn't find *any* seals on the Moss site, but it's likely my unfamiliarity with how to use their site!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

tedjr Avatar
tedjr Silver Member Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, Ohio, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"
1974 MG MGB GT "The Orphan"
GT trunk parts:

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/mg/full.aspx?Page=16

There are two seals on the back hatch:
No. 1 is the inner seal which goes around the entire hatch,
No. 2 is the shorter inner seal which has the retainer bar (NA) attached at the top. (don’t remove the seal unless you are going to replace it or the bar).

Martin MacGregor of Canada sells quality ($$$) seals including one that goes on the back body of the GT itself replacing seal No. 1 on the hatch.
I have purchased and installed the body seal one and have no issues with leaks or closing the hatch.

Martin is difficult to get a hold of at times. Although he has a website, it is out of date, and the best way to contact him is by phone – 905-627-4006.

Hope this helps,
Ted

1974 MGB "Ruby" and 1974 MGB GT "Orphan"
Ruby (MGB) Photos
Orphan (MGB GT) Photos
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Wayne, Ted has it right about the seals. The metal keeper has to be there to keep the hatch from leaking.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster