Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
West Hempstead, New york, USA   USA
On my 1980 mgb, My driving lights stayed on even when I disconnected the switch on the colum. By process of elimination I took this wire off the relay in the photo. Now the lights operate properly but I can't find anything that isn't working. What did I disconnect???

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171203_202325.jpg    49.7 KB
20171203_202325.jpg

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Looks like the starter relay. Does the car start o.k.?

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 11:54 PM by Ahmed.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
White with a brown stripe, starter relay to starter solenoid. Your car should not start now.

That wire has nothing to do with your headlights. you likely bumped the offender when you pulled that wire off.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
Yes the car starts, and runs!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
I was very careful to remove one wire at a time, look at the driving lights and then replace the wire. When I removed that one, the driving lights went off and the switch had on my steering column worked as it should, off, driving lights, head lights. The car starts and runs. The po had this car a mess, he had a cb radio under the dash with wires connected everywhere. I finally sorted that out, removed it and actually got the radio to work along with all the gauges (except the tach) dash lights and switches to work. The driving lights were and still are a mystery!

DanN1DLH Avatar
DanN1DLH Dan DiMartino
McDonough, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
By "driving lights" do you mean the headlights or accessory lamps?

Dan

ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
The amber lights in the front bumper, fender and the red light in the quarter panels. Parking lights, driving lights. NOT the headlights, and yes the hi beams work from the stem on the colum!

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
http://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
Did the later cars have a relay that run the radiator fans?

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
I'm not sure, but they are operating as well with that wire off!

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
There are 3 Brown/White wires in a 80.

1 is Fuse box to Thermostat
2 is Fuse box to Ignition Relay
3 is Starter Motor to Starter Relay

As you are looking at a relay it should be #2 or #3. That wire should have nothing to do with lights.

If #2 the other 3 wires should be brown, black and white

If #3 the other wires should be brown, black and white/red

The park lights come on on the first on of the main light switch, which should be an off/on/on switch. At off all lights should be off, at the first 'on' the park and side marker lights come on, and and the second 'on' the headlights come on.

If the park lights stay on or will not switch off then it is most likely a problem with your off/on/on switch.

Cheers Rob

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3641217 by Gokart There are 3 Brown/White wires in a 80.

1 is Fuse box to Thermostat
2 is Fuse box to Ignition Relay
3 is Starter Motor to Starter Relay

As you are looking at a relay it should be #2 or #3. That wire should have nothing to do with lights.

If #2 the other 3 wires should be brown, black and white

If #3 the other wires should be brown, black and white/red

His photo shows brown black and white (two whites for some reason I do not know), Ignition relay, His car should not start.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
I do sincerely appreciate all the input, and I am wondering if someone along the lifespan of the car simply moved wires around because the car does start and all appears to be in working order. My issue was originally that the lights would not turn off. Is it possible that the po simply used that power source on the relay to give power to the lights not realizing that they would remain on with the key in the ignition,because with that wire disconnected the light switch on the colum works as ir should. Idk, but my thought was that if he did then what ever was supposed to be plugged in there should not be working. Maybe I should leave well enough alone!

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3641365 by ejd3rd I do sincerely appreciate all the input, Maybe I should leave well enough alone!

Ed,
Rob provided you with a link to a very good source for the electrical schematics for the MGB. Take the advice offered here and sort out your wiring.

I am not a fan of disconnected, loose wires. winking smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

ejd3rd Avatar
ejd3rd Ed D
Neither am I, will do, thank you all!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster